325i Convertible Evaporator R&R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325i Convertible Evaporator R&R

I've searched tirelessly on forums, Google and the Bentley manual and thus far have been unsuccessful in finding a definitive answer to my question. I was able to remove the A/C evap core in my vert, but not without damaging the fins. I knew I would be replacing it, so wasn't too worried about removal. However, I'm trying to find the best way to install the new one without damaging the fins. I found 1 thread where a poster referenced the issue with evap core removal in his vert (more difficult due to clearance issues caused by battery tray location in engine bay), but I think he ended up just flushing his in place.

Does anyone have any suggestions? To do it correctly and without damage, does the dash need to come out? I'm able to move the harness out of the way for the most part, but the lower, left edge of the interior battery tray insulation causes interference. Pic and top down diagram attached for reference.

Thank you in advance.
    J

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230604_023825267.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.4 KB ID:	10096151
    Attached Files

Originally posted by m2d2 View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions? To do it correctly and without damage, does the dash need to come out?
    You’re not going to like the answer to this one: Yep, you gotta pull out the dash AND the HVAC box if you want to slide it in without any fin damage. That job is a bitch in and of itself, and one where I personally would be willing to accept a few bent fins on the new evaporator. They won’t really affect cooling performance as long as the system isn’t leaking like a sieve.

The only suggestion I have is to remove the evaporator temperature switch (not sure if you already did this). It should make it easier to slide the evaporator in and reduce the number of bent fins.
    1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
    1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

Thank you for the reply, ZeKahr. I value your input, even though it wasn't the answer I was hoping for. With this newfound knowledge, I proceeded to remove a small section of the brown insulation from the lower left corner of the interior battery tray mount. I unplugged the harness in order to push it out of the way and make room for the new core, while a friend carefully slid it into place. Fortunately, there was minimal resistance during the process and I think basically no damage to any fins. I understand that cutting the padding/insulation is not the ideal solution, but considering the circumstances, I was willing to accept this outcome. The removed piece holds itself in place but I'll add some adhesive for peace of mind when reinstalling and don't it won't cause any issues since it is completely hidden from view. Hopefully this helps a future vert owner looking to take on this project.

Thanks again!

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230609_064308515.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.0 KB ID:	10096282

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230609_064220774.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.9 KB ID:	10096281
      Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230609_064326022.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.4 KB ID:	10096284
      Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230604_022411720.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	10113828

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230609_064335264.jpg Views:	0 Size:	163.6 KB ID:	10096280
      Last edited by m2d2; 02-06-2024, 01:10 PM.

Comment

A late note of caution. Assuming you replaced the temp probe (from the drivers side) DO NOT use the probe to pierce the fins in the new evaporator. It's soft aluminum and will bend with a good chance it will interfere w your blend door. I went an entire winter w limited heat as a result...yes duhhh !

use a thin Philips screw driver to pierce the fins then install the probe.
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Working...
        X