Tonneau Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonneau Motor

Got a problem with a motor. I've had a coupe of other e30 convertibles but they all had manual tops. First one with the automatic. Of course it doesn't work. The actual top motor seems to work oddly enough but the motor that operates the tonneau cover is busted. It acts like it wants to lift the cover, it gets it about a quarter of the way up and then it starts popping. Like it's stripping a gear or something. Is there anything else in there that's supposed to assist with the top opening and closing? I know on the manual ones there were shocks that helped raise and lower it but I didn't think the automatic ones had this. I tried a second motor that I purchased from a member here and it did the same thing. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Thanks

I have no real advice other than a manual conversion would probably be cheaper than replacing a motor. Sorry for the lack of help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car than win by an inch because someone else built it for me... Your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book."

-MOOG

Comment

This is common. The gears in the boot motor are stripped. You should have no problem finding a good used motor for around $100. Start a wanted thread here and on the bmwe30ic group at Yahoo.
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. The original one was stripped. I purchased a used one from a member here and it actually worked a couple of times before it started doing the same thing. I was just wanting to make sure that there wasn't supposed to be anything else supporting the cover while it was going up and down. It just looks really flimsy being supported only by that one arm. I would try to get my money back from the seller but it took over a week of communication to actually set up the buy in the first place so I imagine getting my money back would be like searching for the needle in the blah blah blah... I suppose eventually I'll just go the easier route and convert over. I was just really hoping to get this fixed since the motor for the actual top works really well.

Comment

Originally posted by jsloden View Post
          Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. The original one was stripped. I purchased a used one from a member here and it actually worked a couple of times before it started doing the same thing. I was just wanting to make sure that there wasn't supposed to be anything else supporting the cover while it was going up and down. It just looks really flimsy being supported only by that one arm. I would try to get my money back from the seller but it took over a week of communication to actually set up the buy in the first place so I imagine getting my money back would be like searching for the needle in the blah blah blah... I suppose eventually I'll just go the easier route and convert over. I was just really hoping to get this fixed since the motor for the actual top works really well.
          Yes - the one arm is all that supports the boot lid, and yes - the EM system can be a pain. Converting requires adding some brackets, so it's not 100% plug and play. My boot lid motor is currently broken also. I have a spare, so I plan to get the EM system working one more time, while I'm concurrently acquiring the parts for the manual conversion.
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

I'm guessing there is just a gear that is stripped. Is it possible to just replace this gear or has everyone just always converted over to manual or purchased a whole new motor? Anyone ever actually repaired one of these?

Comment

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I don't know of anyone that's tried to fix a stripped boot lid motor. Post the question on the Yahoo group. If anyone's done it, someone there will know about it.
                1992 325i Cabrio
                1988 320i Touring
                2000 M5
                1977 530i
                BMWCCA
                E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                  That's actually a repair tutorial to fix the motor that operates the top. Oddly enough that part actually works, because I know that that's usually the part that breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                    I don't know of anyone that's tried to fix a stripped boot lid motor. Post the question on the Yahoo group. If anyone's done it, someone there will know about it.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd top it to help folks with this issue. I ask 1000 questions here and never really contribute, so I can this time!

I had this same issue. Found a cheap fix online from some e46 guys. I think the problem is the spring with the emergency release doesn't hold tight. The motor comes separated if you pop the release. The gear between the two is the one that wears.

So, I went to Home Depot and bought two metal hose clamps, I think 3" and 4". I put my motor in my table top clamp and cranked it nice and tight against each other. So there's no separation between the two halves. Then used the hose clamps to keep it pinched together. Boom, fixed. Granted I don't have the emergency release but I could always undo them if needed. Not sure how long it will last but going strong this summer.

Hope that helps anyone running into this.

Comment

can you post pics of this?
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

here you go. Trick is to really pinch it tight before putting the clamps on. You can't just pinch it by hand.

Oh and don't put the clamps over where the screws hold to motor onto the car. Ask me why it took me 10 mins to figure out why the screws wouldn't go back on......
                        Attached Files

Comment

Wow! I don't know how I haven't come across this earlier. Just clamped my motor this morning and it works like a champ now. Time to lubricate, and fix up the tension straps :)

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I wish I'd known about the clamp trick before I purchased another motor. At least I know what to do now in case this one decides to go out now. Thanks again guys

Comment

useful post bump. how about we sticky the darn thing in this section!
                              I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                              DB vert plastic bumpers
                              OEM Keys
                              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                              91 ic Calypso 3.1
                              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                              TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                              e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X