Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lemme just add that my MT2 has Eibachs without drophats and IS a bit softer than my glacier. Both cars at the top front fender flares are 23 7/8" from the ground for reference.

COTM

Comment

I put ground control coils on my brothers cabby Bilstein sports front(konis were backed up for two months) Konis in the rear and a front tower bar.

I cannot remember the rates. Something stiff yet a tiny bit of give, just told them to set it up for a street handling car. It came out perfect.

It is as low as you can go in the front, he is getting GC camber plates to get that extra 11mm down. It is low and sexy, vintage OZ baskets with 215 meats.

Looks hot with the hardtop, will look better when the guy gets around to shipping us the AC Schnitzer kit.
      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
      ~ '87 535
      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
        +1. I have H&R sports,billies on my glacier with 15mm drophats(as of last week) with alll pads. Still smooth. I havent got any pro shots of my new stance but it cant be far off from you.

For fine control (if fundage allows) you know G/C is the only way.

BTW, do you have upper and lower braces?
        Yep, IE upper and RaceSkids lower x-brace. Are you running the H&R convertible-specific springs, or regular coupe/sedan springs?

Lemme just add that my MT2 has Eibachs without drophats and IS a bit softer than my glacier. Both cars at the top front fender flares are 23 7/8" from the ground for reference.
        Good to know thanks. Same shocks, braces, etc?

I know part of my shitty ride is the 17" wheels (with 215-40 Pirelli Pzero Nero tires) but I love my wheels and they're staying.

Comment

The glacier has coupe springs but it was my understanding that the coupe differs from the cabrio only in the rear. I am unsure about the struts in the MT2.I was told that they were Eibach struts. I cant tell but opening inside the bay look like billies. I dont have any bracing yet.

Throw a set of bcaps (at night so no one sees :) ) and check the ride. Id prolly suck up the ride for those wheels too.

COTM

Comment

The ride height on both your cars is perfect, good to know my plan will (hopefully) work! :up:

Comment

Anyone rockin these springs ? http://worksconcepts.com/suspension_.../i-132524.aspx I`m thinking of trying them on my cabby. They look great on this car http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=142725&page=2

Comment

The glacier has coupe springs but it was my understanding that the coupe differs from the cabrio only in the rear. I am unsure about the struts in the MT2.I was told that they were Eibach struts. I cant tell but opening inside the bay look like billies. I dont have any bracing yet.

Throw a set of bcaps (at night so no one sees :) ) and check the ride. Id prolly suck up the ride for those wheels too.
                BTW are you running camber plates on either car?

Comment

Originally posted by 3046 View Post
                  Anyone rockin these springs ? http://worksconcepts.com/suspension_.../i-132524.aspx I`m thinking of trying them on my cabby. They look great on this car http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=142725&page=2
                  Looks like they offer a big drop, and I can't tell from the website if they're designed for convertibles or not. If they aren't you could end up getting too low and having some bottoming out issues.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                    BTW are you running camber plates on either car?
                    Nope, stock bearings.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                      Looks like they offer a big drop, and I can't tell from the website if they're designed for convertibles or not. If they aren't you could end up getting too low and having some bottoming out issues.
                      Yea those are for cabby`s. I`m gonna try them out

Comment

I'm redoing the suspension on my vert. Turns out the previous owner installed sedan Eibach Prokits, which explains why the car was bottoming out. The stance was perfect but I'm more of a ride quality guy. I just hope the Koni's are still good. Anyway, I have two setups in my possession and I'm trying to decide between them. H&R Race springs and GC 450/650 coils. I'm concerned that GC's may be too stiff for the off the shelf Koni SA's already on the car. Any opinions? I'm also concerned about running such stiff rates on a vert which has a lot of body flex as is. I maybe drive the vert twice a week but plan on keeping it a long time. Any thoughts?
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                          I'm redoing the suspension on my vert. Turns out the previous owner installed sedan Eibach Prokits, which explains why the car was bottoming out. The stance was perfect but I'm more of a ride quality guy. I just hope the Koni's are still good. Anyway, I have two setups in my possession and I'm trying to decide between them. H&R Race springs and GC 450/650 coils. I'm concerned that GC's may be too stiff for the off the shelf Koni SA's already on the car. Any opinions? I'm also concerned about running such stiff rates on a vert which has a lot of body flex as is. I maybe drive the vert twice a week but plan on keeping it a long time. Any thoughts?
                          IIRC, the H&R Race springs are nearly as stiff as your GC springs. They do give a very nice ride height however.

Personally I'm not sold on the idea of using very stiff suspension on a convertible, the chassis is just too flexible to put it to any good use. The stiffer your suspension, the more of the motion/impact has to be absorbed by the chassis. When the chassis isn't stiff you just get a bunch of flex and wobble. However there are guys on here who swear by stiff coilovers on their convertibles and love them.

Comment

Your Konis will handle those rates just fine.
                            Suspension tips here...
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Groundcontrol Coilovers with Bilstein Sport Shocks
                              Springs: Eibach GC F440lbs, R650lbs
                              Groundcontrol Camberplates
                              ejnight skidplate
                              ejnight crossbrace

Car handles very well, I can take hard corners without any chassis groan. The crossbrace did a lot to get rid of the creaking and body flex.

On 3pc ARE 16x8 ET20 with 225/45/16

Now on Borbet B 16x9 ET15 with 215/40/16

1" lower in the front (22.25" fender to ground), 1/2" lower in the rear (22" fender to ground)

Car still handles very well, no issues with hard cornering and does not bottom out if you go over a dip at speed.

A bit of nose bounce if I don't crawl over rough uneven pavement and the massive 2" of ground clearance makes speedbumps not your friend.

This is probably as low as you can go with the Bilsteins, any lower and I was advised I would need to run Konis.

Not slammed but pretty low

Took the car for a afternoon cruise and I'm glad I have an skidplate as it took 5 good shots already.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

What are thoughts of HR springs and Billy sports? Im in my phone and don't wanna look thru 19 pages. Will all shocks work? I know rear spring is a different rate coupe vs vert. I Got the Hr springs for free and wanna use if possible. TiA

Comment

Working...
                                X