This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
    I've decided I don't like the stiffness of coilovers on my vert. A lot of flexing and stress going on with 400/650 race springs. Thinking of swapping the coilovers onto my M3 and running the M3 setup (H&R Race/Bilstein sports or Koni SA's) on the vert. I know a few of you are running this setup...what do you think?
    Berry,

Do you think that a softer spring rate on the coilover would have been better? If so what would you go with next time. I am thinking about going the GC coilover route. I am going to be running the hardtop on the vert most of the time because I have a second vert to drive on the sunny days so there would be that added weight too.

Cheers,

Jim
    sigpic

Comment

Love this thread.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IronmanE30 View Post
        Berry,

Do you think that a softer spring rate on the coilover would have been better? If so what would you go with next time. I am thinking about going the GC coilover route. I am going to be running the hardtop on the vert most of the time because I have a second vert to drive on the sunny days so there would be that added weight too.

Cheers,

Jim
        Here's the dilemma. You want stiff rates for performance and because the vert weighs more but this amplifies the creeks and body flex. If you go with a compromise like 300-400 front/500-600 rear like GC's recommendations for the street, it would be better but they are linear race coils. 300 is going to be 300, 500 is always going to be 500. I suppose you could install EJ Night's frame brace to help a bit but I just opted to go with H&R Races/Bilsteins. I was scared of stressing the body (thinking long term) on such a rare car. For me H&R races are perfect for the street. Being progressive, they ride like stock until you really get on them and they stiffen up nicely. Ride height isn't too far off from my GC's on uncut perches.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Updated: H&R Sport (cabrio), Koni Yellows, No spring pads, Eibach sways, M3 CABs, refinished RS003's. A couple impromptu pics. I repainted a new lip so that's why there isn't one in these pics; the old one is on the autoX car now.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
          MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
          | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

^^^ Looking good Tim. Once you get that front lip on, you need to do a proper photoshoot so we can drool over those BBS RSs.
            sigpic
            January 2012 COTM

Comment

"I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

1991 318ic

Refreshing the suspension and getting it lowered.
                Bilstein Sports and HR Cabrio springs with 15mm drop hats. Running 15x8.5 F, 15x9 R which will need some fender rolling i suppose.

I'm curious if i'll need to go lower that this to pull off my wheels. If so, and keeping the HR springs, what other options do I have to go lower? Remove pads?

Thanks

Comment

My vote would be to ditch the H&R cabrio sports and get H&R race, I think you'll be much happier with the ride height and stance.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post

Nice ride Berry, next Archiefest I will bring mine and we can compare notes or I'll see you at Bimmerfest.;)

Cheers,

Jim
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                      My vote would be to ditch the H&R cabrio sports and get H&R race, I think you'll be much happier with the ride height and stance.
                      Thanks, I think you're right and am about to order them now! Anyone interested in some new (like not even received, new) HR springs? Lol

Comment

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
                        MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
                        | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Aren't H+R Race's floppy at the back with all the extra weight of the Cabrio's butt?

I would think Cabrio-specific springs are the way to go...?

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
                            What are some good springs that will get a 'vert nice and low? As in, lower than H&R Sport's?

Vogtland maybe? Any pics?
                            vogtland coupe. 1 dead coil cut off front, all pads in rear. billy sports

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
                              Aren't H+R Race's floppy at the back with all the extra weight of the Cabrio's butt?

I would think Cabrio-specific springs are the way to go...?
                              No way, races are much stiffer than the cabrio specific sports. Besides the latter rides very high and stiff, they suck. Had them on my car for all of 2 weeks before I ditched them.

Comment

No way, races are much stiffer than the cabrio specific sports. Besides the latter rides very high and stiff, they suck. Had them on my car for all of 2 weeks before I ditched them.
                                I passed on the Races and will try out the vert springs. Hopefully once i remove rear pads and insert drop hats up front i could live with the stance. If not, then I may go with Races but living here in Jersey potholes suck. Skidplate coming soon!

Comment

Working...
                                X