Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 oil level sensor 3 wire issue (wires swapped)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 oil level sensor 3 wire issue (wires swapped)

I have been struggling for a while to get my 89 E30 oil level sensor to work and I have even purchased a second one and both fail to shut off the check light. I even tried another check panel and it still fails. I finally cleaned out the sensor and ran the tests found in the oil electrical trouble shooting manual and I discovered that the the two sensor wires are (pin 1 and 3) are swapped based on the wire color from the sensor. The sensor description says pin 3 the GR/YL wire should close at full oil and open and low oil and I found that the blue wire closes at full oil and opens at low oil. I swapped the two wires to the male connector ( moved blue to pin 3 and GR/YL to pin 1 and the switch works as expected and the check light goes out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oil sensor wiring.jpg
Views:	1520
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	10064712
    This is the original wire before the swap.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3 pin connector oil level .jpg
Views:	1671
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	10064713

Additional information for E34 Oil Pan swap folks.
    1987 325is.

Attached Files

Comment

Exactly what I found the blue wire is static and the GRN/YEL is the dynamic switch. I did not have to modify the female side (connection to engine) since the EV1 3 pin connector was fine but the male side on the sensor was disintegrated on both sensors, my original and the used one I purchased.

Comment

Working...
      X