No announcement yet.

Headlamp Cleaning System/Intensive Wash Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Andrew, would it be possible to post the link to your photobucket account so we could view the pics ?
    I'm restoring my e30 and have the hcs wiring fixed, I just need to sort out the tubing for the intensive wash.
    Great thread by the way.
    Thanks Stephen.

Comment

no pics here or on e30tech. nothing on archive.org for either site either.
      dude's banned / not accepting PMs. cr@p.
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

finally got my setup working, except for the intensive cleaning - can never get the intensive clean pump to turn on.. I press the S stalk in and the normal washer fluid pumps out, not the intensive fluid. The HCS wiper relay has been properly retrofitted in the fuse box - 2 extra wires for the PS and TS connections are wired to the intensive clean wiper stalk.

I have a 2nd HCS kit and have tried swapping parts including the control module - no luck. Must be a wiring issue but haven't figured it out yet. only wiring info I've found is a hella schematic on another forum. wiring colors seem to match my harness correctly, so I know the washer pumps are hooked up right.

anyone have any advice on this?
        Last edited by bradnic; 07-13-2014, 04:27 PM. Reason: `

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
          finally got my setup working, except for the intensive cleaning - can never get the intensive clean pump to turn on.. I press the S stalk in and the normal washer fluid pumps out, not the intensive fluid. The HCS wiper relay has been properly retrofitted in the fuse box - 2 extra wires for the PS and TS connections are wired to the intensive clean wiper stalk.

I have a 2nd HCS kit and have tried swapping parts including the control module - no luck. Must be a wiring issue but haven't figured it out yet. only wiring info I've found is a hella schematic on another forum. wiring colors seem to match my harness correctly, so I know the washer pumps are hooked up right.

anyone have any advice on this?
          I haven't screwed with mine in a long time, but as I recall I needed everything connected including the heaters to the nozzles to get the pump to fire.

Comment

Thanks for the reply JT. I do have a set of heated washer nozzles in my IX, but there's no heater in this setup. Everything's hooked up consistent with the schematic.

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Added some annotation to the schematic

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I know its old topic.
                But maybe someone has photos, from first page, not all, jus those where can see, how to connect washing tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lietuvis View Post
                  I know its old topic.
                  But maybe someone has photos, from first page, not all, jus those where can see, how to connect washing tubes.
                  Have you looked at the OEM install instructions? I have a copy here

3 hoses go to each of the 3 washer pumps.
                  one of the hoses goes across the car to the driver side.
                  There are valves on each of the lines just behind the washer nozzles, and short hoses between the valves and the headlamp washer nozzles
                  you have to run a line up the hood to the washer nozzles, and add tees and valves there. this was the most difficult part of the install for me.

I have a 2nd HCS kit and have tried swapping parts including the control module - no luck. Must be a wiring issue but haven't figured it out yet.
                  I was missing a wire to the PS terminal from the HLCS harness. There's alot more detail and pics about my HLCS troubleshooting starting here
                  Last edited by bradnic; 06-23-2016, 06:52 AM.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

So I'm currently trying to retrofit this system onto my ix Touring.
                    I was able to fully install it and test it however, sometimes the motors hang up.

I decided to regrease them and check for the common rust problem. However I noticed the thermal protection (what I found out is a voltage dependent resistor or varistor is broken in half.

Does anyone know what type varistor this is, I can't seem to find anything useful when typing in the part numbers in google.

Thanks!

1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

are you sure it's a varistor? Maybe try stacking the halves and rotating them 90 degrees

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

are you sure it's a varistor? Maybe try stacking the halves and rotating them 90 degrees
                        I asked a guy I know and he told me that it's a bare disc varistor. Unfortunately that's the only thing he could tell me
                        The other motor has some kind of square that doesn't work all together, after searching multiple merc and saab forum (they use the same internal parts)
                        But also no info about the type of varistor/ what specs

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Small update, Since contacting the company (Murata) the guy I mail with told it should be a PTC (overheat protection) component.
                          0R2 could be 0.2ohms and BC = 90°C curie temp

I decided to order this component and give it a try, PTGL12AR0R2M1B51B0, PTC for overcurrent protection.
                          I sandwiched the leads between the housing and the copper rails. With a 3D printed spacer between the two rails. So far so good.

Before, one of the motors stalled half way through it's cycle, with the new PTC it seems to work.

After also replacing the rubber wipers with some new repro parts, I fitted everything onto the car and it works!

Video of my restored SWRA system on my E30 325iX Touring.Full build thread here:

However, I have a question, do Euro cars come with the "2 extra wires for the PS and TS connections are wired to the intensive clean wiper stalk."?

I don't have the iX intensive cleaner container so I'm only running two pumps atm

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

this is great! thanks for posting..
                            there were multiple versions of the HLCS.. one with intensive clean and one with without. pretty sure you don't need the two extra pins if you don't have the intensive clean.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

this is great! thanks for posting..
                              there were multiple versions of the HLCS.. one with intensive clean and one with without. pretty sure you don't need the two extra pins if you don't have the intensive clean.
                              Thanks, I'm fairly certain it's not the 100% correct piece but I think it's pretty close for what I could find;

I have the complete HLCS, I just don't use the intensive cleaner pump since I don't have it's specific bottle.
                              However, my Touring is an euro (obviously) did these came pre wired? I just followed the original BMW installation manual and there was no mention what so ever about the two extra pins.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

D.Martijn Wow, thank you for posting this!
                                📸 @joyfilledpursuit
                                📖 John 3:16-18

Comment

Working...
                                X