• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put teh old fairing on teh wood rack.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Just got a basket case from yakima and I am lovin it!
      sigpic
      TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
      FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Originally posted by mcskibadee1 View Post
        Just got a basket case from yakima and I am lovin it!
        Hipsterific. Love it!

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

returning pallets to home depot in my brothers e30. just open the sunroof and hold them down with your hand- worked like a charm
          -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
          -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
          MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
          Got Drop?? ;-)
          Originally posted by JinormusJ
          But of course
          E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

^Genious!

Comment

$40 CL special on the bike mount and fairing :D ...the rest was purchased new :(

Comment

This is a crappy iPhone pic, but this is my current setup which isn't complete yet.

It's the cheap eBay roof rack with Thule bike trays. No fairing yet. I plan on eventually redesigning the whole rack by building a custom frame out of metal tubing and using just one bike tray and making a wood platform on the rest of the rack to haul stuff around. I'll be reinforcing the mounts just for structural integrity. I actually really like the towers of this eBay rack, mounts perfectly to the e30 rails and feels very sturdy once tight. Only downside is no locks, but you could figure out a way to at least make it harder to steal.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Yakima rain gutters

Originally posted by Sonny
                  I am a meme for our community.

Comment

sigpic
                    TRANSACTION FEEDBACK HERE
                    FOR SALE ITEMS HERE

Comment

Here is my roof rack project which I started yesterday. Haven't quite finished it yet, but it's getting there.

I wanted one bike tray, and have the rest of the rack be a wooden platform to haul stuff around on considering the e30 isn't really the most spacious car, especially since the seats don't fold down.

So I went to my local metal supply shop, got 20ft. of 1"x1" metal tubing, had them cut it into four 5' pieces and headed up to my dads.

From there, I made some measurements, cut some stuff, welded stuff together, ground some welds down on the surface and ended up with this frame. It's kind of hard to tell in the pictures, but the legs are a bit longer on one side to make room for the bike tray:

So this is how it sits with the bike tray installed:

Made a Home Depot run:

Spent the next few hours making precise measurements so everything is proportional, drilling into the wood, and drilling into the metal on my kitchen floor with shitty drill bits. Drilling through the metal sucked and I'm so happy it's over...

And here's where I'm at right now. I'm staining the wood a dark walnut color and painting the metal frame and carriage bolt heads black so everything goes together nicely. I'm really happy with how it's turning out. I'll probably weld on a couple hooks throughout the frame to attach tie downs/bungee straps etc.

Comment

^wow nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by CW325 View Post
                          ^wow nice work!
                          +1

That is awesome!

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Awesome rack! ;) I love how it came out.

WTB NorCal: Z4 shifter + misc. parts

Comment

Thanks guys! Not fully done yet. Still needs a day's worth of work and it'll be complete.

Comment

Keep us posted.

(I always read your username as ChubbyChowder, then proceed to picture heavy-set women eating giant bowls of clam chowder.)

WTB NorCal: Z4 shifter + misc. parts

Comment

Working...
                                X