No announcement yet.

Timing Belt / Water Pump DIY - Step by Step Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey anyone mind throwing in pics on how to replace the seals while we're in there?
    Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
      Hey anyone mind throwing in pics on how to replace the seals while we're in there?
      One of the most important maintenance tasks for the six-cylinder E30 engines is the replacement of the rubber timing belt. Be sure to read this article!

That kind of goes over it.
      '86 325es M50

Comment

Anyone do the crankcase seal while their at it?

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

When i did mine it didnt have the tensioner spring. So i left it that way with the new belt. am i REALLY RISKING IT?
          been driving it for 2 1/2 months with no problem.

tia
          ]

Comment

Originally posted by E30_(1st Musk)_ View Post
            When i did mine it didnt have the tensioner spring. So i left it that way with the new belt. am i REALLY RISKING IT?
            been driving it for 2 1/2 months with no problem.

tia
            The spring is there mainly to put the proper tension on the belt during installation and as long as it's properly tightened you should be okay.

The question is, how did you tension the belt w/o the spring?

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
              The spring is there mainly to put the proper tension on the belt during installation and as long as it's properly tightened you should be okay.

The question is, how did you tension the belt w/o the spring?

well someone came over to help me out. and what we did was with a crow bar i held the tensioner securely in place and he just tightened it where it was. Theres no whinning coming from the belt.
              ]

Comment

does the intermediate shaft have to be lined up anywhere?

Comment

does the intermediate shaft have to be lined up anywhere?
                  Nope, the only ones of concern are the crankshaft and the camshaft. Often times the intermediate shaft will move when reinstalling the timing belt, that is A-Okay.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks. I fucked up and turned the crankshaft. Have it lined up now but now sure how accurate it is now? As long as the ot on the vibration dampener lines up with the mark on the cover then its ok?

Also the mark on the head for the camshaft is really thin right?

Comment

Thanks. I fucked up and turned the crankshaft. Have it lined up now but now sure how accurate it is now? As long as the ot on the vibration dampener lines up with the mark on the cover then its ok?

Also the mark on the head for the camshaft is really thin right?
                      That's right on both accounts. So long as OT lines up with the mark, you should be fine. And the Cam marking is on the end of one of the teeth (tooths?) and lines up with the notch on the head.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info. Saved me a couple hours looking at the bentley!

Comment

this is great! subbing for later use

Comment

added some pics for removing the cam sprocket seal and o ring

Cam sprocket /distributor rotor/plastic cover removed. the bolt has a star head
                            Also noticed the sprocket and distributor rotor are notched to fit onto the camshaft.

camshaft cover /seal/o ring.
                            undo the 2 bolts and you can start turned the cover loose.

seal replaced. I used a flat head screwdriver to pound the seal from the inside out. Then used the old seal to pound the new seal in.

new o ring

Once I slid the cover on halfway by hand, I used the bolts to slide the cover in all the way.

a pic through the front grill. you can see the mark for tdc on the head which you match to the mark on the cam sprocket gear. This is incase you move the camshaft when you tighten down the bolt.

pic of the vibration dampener lining up with the tdc mark on the lower cover of the timing belt
                            Last edited by ///M42 sport; 06-27-2010, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Great writeup! Used this last month to do my timing belt (along with a bunch of other things).
                              Current: 2011 M3
                              Retired: 1986 325e, 1991 318i, 1991 325ic, 1992 325ic, 1998 528i, 2002 325xiT, 2003 530i, 2005 325xiT, 2008 335i

Comment

where did you get the number 80 ft/lbs for a torque spec on the water pump? my chilton said like 20....

Comment

Working...
                                X