HOW TO: Installing IS Side Skirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
    I realized that you had used 12 of the same green grommets for your install. I bought my skirts and hardware from Blunttech and they sent me 12 of the green ones and 2 of the smaller white grommets for a total of 14. I noticed you skipped one of the plugs, using a total of 12. The o.d. of the white plugs is smaller, which explains them fitting the 5/16" hole, rather than the 3/8" for the green ones. The inside hole looks to be the same however--see photo.

Possibly you were shorted the 2 white grommets?
    that's a possibility. it was just easier to order all of the same part nos.
    but you are right that the plug that goes in the white grommet, goes in a little bit tougher than the others.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    ---------------------------------
    89 E30 S52
    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Well gentlemen, I've changed my mind on the 3M double sided trim tape.

When I installed the first skirt on the passenger side, two of the green grommets pulled out of the hole, creating large, ugly gaps-see photo. I don't know if this was because I had painted my rockers with two coats of POR 15 and that made the seating area of the metal thicker or what, but needless to say, it really pissed me off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Skirts 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	7147069

Since I had already drilled all the holes on both sides, I went to Home Depot and found some plastic 3/8" plastic hole plugs and used rtv sealer on them and plugged the holes tight on the driver's side, letting it cure overnight. I left the white grommet (fits 5/16" hole in the rearward part of front fender and fits the round white plug) in place, as for some reason it seated well on both sides. That means you still have plugs in the front and the two plastic rivets in the rear wheelwell in place. I cut tape to fit the tabs where the plastic clips previously were, stuck one side in place on the skirt, leaving the protective strip on the other side. I then dry-fitted the skirt with the help of my wife to check fitment and determine where exactly to place the skirt for final installation. This is important--once the tape is stuck, it's stuck! Then it's just a matter of lining it up and pressing it on, again using a helper. Came out perfect and held fine at highway speeds on my way to the Windy City BMWCCA VintageFest last weekend. Now I've just got to redo the passenger side cause that gap is driving me nuts. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Skirts 004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	7147070

Comment

I cleaned the very top most section with acetone and ran the tape the entire length. My skirts have never moved. The tape the way I did it also stops debris from running down and sitting inside the skirts. To help install the tape, apply the tape to the skirts keeping the backing on it then install the skirts with all the plastic clips on the pinch seam at the bottom. Finally gently pull the backing between the skirt and car. Pull down the length of the car while pressing the skirt to the car. Pretty easy. Prep all surfaces first and you'll never have to mess with them again.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Comment

for guys using the 3M tape, how are you prepping the surface? alcohol or grease remover? 3M tape may work with spoilers but something like a side skirt it is prone to impacts into snow, curbs, potholes, debris in the road. Say goodbye to the skirt if it falls off in motion.

Comment

Originally posted by CB-M3 View Post
            for guys using the 3M tape, how are you prepping the surface? alcohol or grease remover? 3M tape may work with spoilers but something like a side skirt it is prone to impacts into snow, curbs, potholes, debris in the road. Say goodbye to the skirt if it falls off in motion.
            I cleaned mine with denatured alcohol--but why are you bothering asking if you think the tape won't hold?

I since have heard from two others who have used tape and had no issues whatsoever. Besides, I used the two rivets in the rear wheelwell and the plug in the front, and you've got the clips all along the bottom edge, so the tape is really only holding the top edge in the middle of the skirt.

And I don't drive my car in snow, onto curbs, or into potholes. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by CB-M3 View Post
              Like TrentW said..

Its only holding the top to the body, not holding the entire skirt on. I had to remove my right side once due to having the fender repaired from a guy hitting it. The tape was tough to break loose. Factor in the clips on the pinch seam and its nearly indestructible.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Comment

Good ideas, guys. It's all a matter of preference.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
                89 E30 S52
                Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Is there are group buy for these side skirts?

Comment

Originally posted by everhopeful View Post
                    Is there are group buy for these side skirts?
                    Sorry, for now NO.
                    89 E30 S52
                    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by bernzpeed View Post
                      Sorry, for now NO.
                      Do you have a ET when they might be? I'd be interested in a set.

Comment

FYI--You can buy from blunt for like $200 including hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                          FYI--You can buy from blunt for like $200 including hardware.

http://blunttechclassic.com/
                          Maybe. Last I heard he had a limited number and had sold them all

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Comment

everyone gets them the same place... so NLA.
                            89 E30 S52
                            Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Do these skirts fit on a vert?
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tico Frank View Post
                                Do these skirts fit on a vert?
                                sadly no. there is a moulding on the bottom of your side panel.
                                89 E30 S52
                                Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Working...
                                X