No announcement yet.

How to remove instrument cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...looks like the nuts are already removed.
    That piece is tricky. You have to yank it pretty good to get it to snap out of there.

I've removed many of them. They are always challenging, but if it helps, I have never broken one during removal.
    Suspension tips here...
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 3vilE30 View Post
      Take out the two knurled nuts on each side and push in the threads.
      The two knurled nuts are on the sides not in the middle. I already took those off. It hangs up on the cluster outer trim and the steering column.

Comment

Originally posted by DRTSRFR View Post
        ...looks like the nuts are already removed.
        That piece is tricky. You have to yank it pretty good to get it to snap out of there.

I've removed many of them. They are always challenging, but if it helps, I have never broken one during removal.
        I was being gentle because people mentioned everything is brittle. I just want to make sure there isn't another fastener or nut behind that center area before I try to yank it.

Comment

Originally posted by CB-M3 View Post
          I was being gentle because people mentioned everything is brittle. I just want to make sure there isn't another fastener or nut behind that center area before I try to yank it.
          Nope. Just the two nuts from behind and the two pop-in tabs in the middle.

Ps: I realize this is my first post, but I removed my cluster yesterday afternoon.

Comment

So I got everything out, replaced the gears, and put it back together. However, I think I forgot to connect the yellow plug on the cluster. What is the function of this? I'm not sure if I did or did not connect it.

Found out it is for the OBC. I have a Euro clock so I don't think I need to hooked up.
            Last edited by CB-M3; 02-12-2015, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I switched out my instrument cluster on my 1989 BMW E30 with one from the scrapyard that's rated in MPH instead of KPH. Everything was fine for a couple of days and now the gas guage is indicating full when I know it's 3/4. Any ideas as to why?

Comment

Originally posted by kenjj View Post
                I switched out my instrument cluster on my 1989 BMW E30 with one from the scrapyard that's rated in MPH instead of KPH. Everything was fine for a couple of days and now the gas guage is indicating full when I know it's 3/4. Any ideas as to why?
                What year was the car you pulled it from? Earlies had only one gas level sender so the gas gauge expects a lower resistance to indicate full. Your 89 has two senders so the gauge reads full even at a lower resistance. Get the gauge from your old cluster and put it in the new one.
                '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
                '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
                '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

Well done write up- I did mine last weekend. Definitely remove your steering wheel. Also- make sure your turn signal stalk is centered before you put your wheel back- BONEHEAD move on my part- must have clicked it down during course of cluster removal- I pushed the wheel back on and snapped the tab off the turn signal assembly that cancels the signal! Swen.

Comment

Originally posted by Swendog View Post
                    Also- make sure your turn signal stalk is centered before you put your wheel back- BONEHEAD move on my part- must have clicked it down during course of cluster removal- I pushed the wheel back on and snapped the tab off the turn signal assembly that cancels the signal! Swen.
                    +1. I broke mine also this way when replacing my odometer gears. Fortunately, there's an E30-specific used parts store near me, but it would have sucked if that wasn't there!
                    GearSwitch E30 Cup Holder available now at http://gearswitch.us

Comment

There's no need to remove your steering wheel, just pay attention to what you're doing. I have removed/installed several clusters and the steering wheel does not get in the way at all.. If you don't line up your steering wheel correctly you're going to need an alignment so you're probably better off with leaving it on. A few hard wiggles to the front bezel should pop it out. The only thing that is really brittle is the A tabs on the cluster. Just don't be an animal and you'll be alright
                      sigpic

Comment

Make it easy....remove the steering wheel. If you don't line up your steering wheel, you DON'T get an alignment, you remove the steering wheel nut, readjust, and try again.....
                        1997 Artic Silver M3
                        CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Originally posted by cgk_iii View Post
                          There's no need to remove your steering wheel, just pay attention to what you're doing. I have removed/installed several clusters and the steering wheel does not get in the way at all.. If you don't line up your steering wheel correctly you're going to need an alignment so you're probably better off with leaving it on. A few hard wiggles to the front bezel should pop it out. The only thing that is really brittle is the A tabs on the cluster. Just don't be an animal and you'll be alright
                          BMW Maniac said it already but I have to say it again:

how can u suggest an alignment if the steering wheel doesnt line up well?.....u should be banned for 30 days for that comment..lol.....sheesh.
                          I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

I've done it many times and never had to remove the steering wheel. I don't think it actually makes it that much easier.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've done it a few times and I did not have to remove the steering wheel. It can be removed by wiggling a little toward the passenger side, and then out the passenger side. Don't forget to put a towel or cloth on the upper steering wheel cover so you don't scratch the plastic face of the instrument cluster. Also, it has been mentioned before, be careful of the "A" tabs. My car is a RHD if that actually matters.
                              1990 325i
                              2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                              sigpic

Comment

Is it possible, yes, would I recommend it, no, not when the potential to either break a tab or damage the leather on the steering wheel has a higher probability than the alternative. In my opinion, not worth it.
                                1997 Artic Silver M3
                                CES GT4094r 651hp/615tq @ 24 psi

Comment

Working...
                                X