The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by colombacho View Post
    I just have a quick Q, is this a good electric fan option?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...OrderCalculate

Thanks
    Link no workie.

Comment

glucklich21, is there anything special to installing that fan from abadcamaro? I got the exact same one you said you did and I'm just wondering how to go about installing it.
      Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Kindly requesting same info as gentlemen above, my fan/condensor arrive Thursday. Thanks.

Comment

I got mine working. The main issue is the stock plug has three wires and the new electric fan as two. The stock fan has a relay or something screwed onto it which the red wires connects to and a black wire comes out etc etc...

Take that relay an entire plug assembly off and connect the two wires from the new fan, to where you cut the two wires from off from the stock fan (with the rest of the plug and relay assembly attached). Then you can plug it in the stock plug. Just remember switching the wires around will flap fan spin direction (at least on mine). For me blue wire on new fan went into black wire on old setup, and black wire went with red wire (this was counter-intuitive to me but that's how it turned out).

Hope that wasn't too confusing. I'll get pics if needed.

Comment

Exactly^^^

Comment

So Gluck (and Threezh) you have retained the resistor to allow 2-speed operation dependant on temp. I assume the fan also hase some intuitive attachment points to secure to the new condensor as well?

Comment

Originally posted by av8drvr View Post
                So Gluck (and Threezh) you have retained the resistor to allow 2-speed operation dependant on temp. I assume the fan also hase some intuitive attachment points to secure to the new condensor as well?
                Yes high and low speed work as if it was the stock fan. The fan comes with a little mounting kit to secure it to the condenser.

Comment

Perfect, thanks Gluck for the responses. I have reached my limit for the Houston commute in this heat and poor A/C performance (read none at idle). Hoping this does the trick!

Comment

Originally posted by av8drvr View Post
                    Perfect, thanks Gluck for the responses. I have reached my limit for the Houston commute in this heat and poor A/C performance (read none at idle). Hoping this does the trick!
                    Get some ceramic window tint as well. It helped tremendously when I went down there to visit my parents compared to my green house I had before.

You will discover humidity is not an E30 ac's friend being in Houston, but it seems to be no BMW ac's friend either. My E90 runs at the same vent temps in the same high temp and humidity situations you experience there in August.

Comment

My AC isn't working up to the standards I expected after performing this conversion. The new fan helps a little, but after sitting out in the sun it takes a decent amount of driving for it to cool down and it barely stays cool at idle, even once it's cooled. I feel like it should be performing a lot better than it is currently...

The shop put a pound and a half (so 24oz) of R134A, every single component in the system is brand new except for the lines and hoses.

I mean it's definitely fucking hot in Tucson, but other AC systems in other vehicles I drive are fine down here. Any ideas? Are others experiencing similarly saddening results?

My only thought is that I need more refrigerant? Should I go to an auto store and fill it up a little more? Would it make that much of a difference?

Comment

You need more Freon I'm willing to bet. What are your pressures/temps like when it was being charged? or did you just tell them 24oz?

Also M20 powered car?

Comment

M42 powered, not sure about pressure I forgot to ask, and my high side valve is gone, the mechanic who did my car said they just fill it till there's no bubbles visible in the viewing window on the dryer/receiver.. I heard you guys saying 28oz, but I said whatever every system is different.

Since my system was vacuumed and filled properly can I just get one of those do-it-yourself kits and add some to see if it makes a difference?

Comment

Worth a shot, but really they should have filled it by the pressures with the corresponding ambient temp/humidity. You should bring it back to them to have it done that way. Waiting till it stops bubbling really sounds like a shot in the dark. ;)

The 28oz is just a figure to play around with and by no means the definitive. Is your compressor new or rebuilt?

Comment

Yeah, it's a little harder to be definitive without seeing the high pressure side too.

The compressor is brand new, I suppose I'll try adding some and see what happens.

Comment

Nice write up. I just bought an E30 and it was already converted but I cant find the High fitting to recharge the AC. Can anyone point me to a right direction. I've searched all over as well as online but cant seem to find any answers. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X