X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cory58
    replied
    Originally posted by bigglazz View Post
    I am aware this is a Old Post if anyone's out there that can help me how do I go from a 2 pressure switch system to 1 if someone has photos or a can explain to me it would be helpful thank you

Why do you need to make the change? The two switch set up works fine too.

Leave a comment:

• Chilezen
    replied
    Originally posted by bigglazz View Post
    I am aware this is a Old Post if anyone's out there that can help me how do I go from a 2 pressure switch system to 1 if someone has photos or a can explain to me it would be helpful thank you
    Yes. You need this switch https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ns-64538390971

which should be installed on this drier https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...hr-64538391025

and this cap replaces the filling valve by the hood strut https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...te-64118363260

Just cut the wires off the old sensor and cut the plug off the new sensor.. and splice the new sensor to the old plug. Some people buy the other half of the new plug and splice that in but.. it's basically the same thing in the end. Also, connect the ends of the other sensor that is no longer in use. Search around the forum for the full instructions. I am pretty sure it's described in this thread too. Start reading. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• bigglazz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by AmosCake
    Anyone have updates if part number 64538391040 will work for 318is? This replaces 64531381740 respectively. I know in can just get the r134a adapter but since the lines are all old, im planning on doing a full overhaul. Thanks
    The m42 had unique lines to go around the coil packs. They are different in the strut tower area. Also have to pay attention to the hose ends, e30's came with a coupld different compressors.

You can actually purchase the hose and furreles, get them fitted yourself, then have a hydraulic hose shop crimp them. This way you will also have the benefit of barrier hoses. r134a can actually seep though the r12 hoses.

Leave a comment:

• Chilezen
    replied
    Originally posted by ghrays View Post
    I bought a (NEW) Sanden compressor https://www.acparts.com/product/new-...mpressor-6627/ Model SD5H14 and used LC Wylie's adapter bracket https://lcwylieco.bigcartel.com/prod...ersion-bracket.
    I am really surprised and thrilled that an aftermarket solution like this exists!
    Does the compressor come with oil?

On behalf of others now and in the future, thanks for biting the bullet and taking the time to do this right and sharing the information.

Leave a comment:

• ghrays
    replied
    After spending considerable sums of time and money, I gave up on buying re-built Denso compressors. They never worked for more than a month before leaking.

I now have for the first time since i bought the car in 2017, working AC that is not leaking refrigerant.

I bought a (NEW) Sanden compressor https://www.acparts.com/product/new-...mpressor-6627/ Model SD5H14 and used LC Wylie's adapter bracket https://lcwylieco.bigcartel.com/prod...ersion-bracket. I also had to have two new hoses made (gong to and from the compressor). Installing these with the M20B25 oil cooler pipes in the way was challenging, to say the least. Today it was 80 degrees in San Diego with 75% humidity, the AC vent temp reached 45 degrees, not as good as a modern car but good enough. Everything else is also new, the Nissens parallel flow condenser, a new OEM auxiliary fan, a new Rein evaporator, new ACM blower fan motor, new hoses and lines, and a new 134a expansion valve. A longer fan belt was also required. I also had to replace the body harness plug housing and its three female watertight connectors (61130007442) to the aux fan as there was corrosion inside the female connectors intermittently turning off the aux fan in front of the condenser.

This has been the most time-consuming and expensive repair yet; it almost drove me insane. I'm happy now.
    Last edited by ghrays; 09-10-2022, 04:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post

Got heater core and valve already but wasn’t sure if I should change the evap preemptively or do a leak test to decide. They are pretty spendy
    Rein is $140 USD. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...e-crp-ace0056r

They aren't usually leaking, but will be full of junk and difficult to clean.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

Heater core and evaporator. I have changed evap without removing the dash, but it's a lot easier when apart. Lots more access for the gummy tape and making sure the condensate is sealed up tight.
    Got heater core and valve already but wasn’t sure if I should change the evap preemptively or do a leak test to decide. They are pretty spendy

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by digger View Post
    going to swap dash and carpet out.
    The A/C had a R134a conversion
    is there anything under the dash i should be swapped out as a matter or course while i have access?
    Heater core and evaporator. I have changed evap without removing the dash, but it's a lot easier when apart. Lots more access for the gummy tape and making sure the condensate is sealed up tight.

Leave a comment:

• digger
    replied
    going to swap dash and carpet out.
    The A/C had a R134a conversion
    is there anything under the dash i should be swapped out as a matter or course while i have access?

Leave a comment:

• Yooliseez
    replied
    Originally posted by uturn View Post

Re: the LC Wylie conversion..... went a different route... made a tie-in piece for the suction side and the factory hose fits without modification on the discharge.

The A/C belt from the M30 engine'd 5 series fits this conversion perfectly.

Seeing 53 degree temps at the vents while doing highway speeds.

Click image for larger version Name:	20220503_075029.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	10054954

do you have a P/N on the compressor and would you mind sharing where you got the hoses??

Leave a comment:

• AngeloF10
    replied
    Anyone in the LI area that has done this before that wants to wrench with me to help a fellow e30 owner? I can provide food, beer, etc..

Leave a comment:

• glucklich21
    replied
    Hi guys,

I logged into a very ancient gmail account that had one of the links in my original post here. I noticed a lot of you were asking for requests to view the file as Google Drive changed something on their end. I can't seem to edit the post anymore, but this link is good for the chart listed in post Home

And just in case, I uploaded the image to the server here on R3V. Happy modding and see y'all again when I log back in after another 5 years lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9210745875_9c74d743db_o.png
Views:	577
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	10062862

Leave a comment:

• e30davie
    replied
    Dont over think it too much.

Replace all the o-rings, put in a new TX valve and dryer. if your condenser, compressor and hoses dont leak, just re-use. and put in an r134a pressure switch.

I reused an old r12 condensor with r134 and it works great. Its a small car after all.

Leave a comment:

• GC90
    replied
    '89 convertible - back in Texas, so let's fix the AC. We charged it up after we bought the car in Colorado, and it's gotten crappier since then. No appreciable cold air now.

Hose fittings are R134. But condenser looks to be original, it's serpentine.

So I'm dealing with a half-assed conversion, at best. I'm in for a new condenser for sure. Suspect the conversion paid no attention to O-rings either.

Thoughts as to next steps? Think they replaced the AC hoses, filled with R134 and that's it? If so...treat this like a full-on conversion?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X