The Detailed E30 R-134a Conversion Thread/DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smoodie View Post
    Nice write up. I just bought an E30 and it was already converted but I cant find the High fitting to recharge the AC. Can anyone point me to a right direction. I've searched all over as well as online but cant seem to find any answers. Thanks.
    I went through that same issue. I ended up just paying for the convenience and had the AC shop put fittings on it when I charged it. I could never get a fitting that would clear either the hood support arm and fit the old fitting on the line. (High and low are different sizes)

Comment

Originally posted by glucklich21 View Post
      I went through that same issue. I ended up just paying for the convenience and had the AC shop put fittings on it when I charged it. I could never get a fitting that would clear either the hood support arm and fit the old fitting on the line. (High and low are different sizes)
      But where is the old High fitting located then?

Comment

Along the fender next to the hood shock.

Comment

Along the fender next to the hood shock.
          Thanks. Yeah that fitting on my car is different size so i thought that it wasn't it. Ill try to figure out how to replace it to charge up the AC. Its pain in the ass without AC.

Comment

So is it really necessary to replace the condenser with a parallel flow model when converting? Do the existing hoses line up with the new parallel flow condenser? does the aux fan really need to be swapped out too if it's working ok?
            Last edited by bradnic; 09-22-2012, 06:59 AM.
            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

It's up to you on how much you want to spend. I just can't say you'll have the same results. There's a whole paragraph explaining the PF condenser and its advantages, so it's up to you to decide. AutohausAZ has a PF condenser for $103 shipped, it's cheaper than the old Behr replacement and is a drop in replacement. Aux fan is up to you. I just replaced mine as a "while I was in there" type of thing. My friend ran a stock fan on his conversion and seemed just as cold.

Comment

I followed this guide and I have ice cold AC on my 257k mile E30. Thank you!

Comment

It's up to you on how much you want to spend. I just can't say you'll have the same results. There's a whole paragraph explaining the PF condenser and its advantages, so it's up to you to decide. AutohausAZ has a PF condenser for $103 shipped, it's cheaper than the old Behr replacement and is a drop in replacement. Aux fan is up to you. I just replaced mine as a "while I was in there" type of thing. My friend ran a stock fan on his conversion and seemed just as cold.
                  Very good answers thank you. Just finished an R134 conversion on a 91 vert. needed to replace the compressor, expansion valve, compressor to condensor hose and drier to evaporator hi pressure line. flushed and changed orings throughout of course. I ended up leaving the stock condenser in place. VERY happy with the results. however, based on this thread and various others if I ever do need to swap it out on one of my cars I'll definitely go the PF route.
                  Last edited by bradnic; 09-22-2012, 07:00 AM.
                  I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                  TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                  e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 95///M3 View Post
                    I followed this guide and I have ice cold AC on my 257k mile E30. Thank you!
                    Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                    Very good answers thank you. Just finished an R134 conversion on a 91 vert. needed to replace the compressor, expansion vale, compressor to condensor hose and drier to evaporator hi pressure line. flushed and changed orings throughout of course. I ended up leaving the stock condenser in place. VERY happy with the results. however, based on this thread and various others if I ever do need to swap it out on one of my cars I'll definitely go the PF route.
                    Excellent!

Comment

BMW E36 is the best model and also a great car..
                      .................................................. ................
                      classified website

Comment

In total, how much does this run in cost?

Comment

Originally posted by erickk View Post
                          BMW E36 is the best model and also a great car..
                          .................................................. ................
                          classified website
                          a spammer and a troll at once?

318is, m50tu g240 s3.46

Comment

Originally posted by kkamakasi View Post
                            In total, how much does this run in cost?
                            Various people have posted their cost. I posted mine somewhere in here and I don't even remember anymore its been so long. lol

Comment

Nice DIY.

I wanted to throw this out there. There is a chemical/sealant I have use when replacing o-rings and retrofitting 134a systems on my other cars. It's called Nylog.

Nylog comes in two varieties, red and blue, so be certain to buy the one for the refrigerant you are using. I haven't seen it on the shelf and have bought in online. Basically it is a viscous fluid that you smear liberally on the o-rings and connectors. It is non-clogging and non-hardening, so you don't have to worry about it contaminating the system. It keeps the rings from hardening and also acts as an addition level of sealing. It has the consistency of snot.

It's about $6 a bottle and you will barely use more than a ounce, if that, for one complete car. It pretty handy for this sort of work and gives you an extra level of protection to your work/upgrade.

Not affiliated with it, but it is a very good product and have had great success with it.
                              '88 325is
                              Alpinweiss

Comment

hi,
                                welcome to this forum site, i gain very powerful information of E30 car model, here some discussion about little DIY for retrofitting R-134a in your E30 is very informative for me and i hope it is helpful for all peoples who is needed. Thanks.
                                ------------------------
                                Top Ten Classified Website

Comment

Working...
                                X