DIY - Euro Ellipsoid Headlight Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maluco View Post
    Thanks for your help bro. I was making it more complicated then it was. I just need to figure out how to wire the sealed beams on the 89 now.

The more i think about it, if you could run the white wire from the low to the hot wire on the high the to make the high filament light up in the low. For the most part it will be trial and error to see what works.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

it is the two with the red dot's and you will see the #30 on the bottom of the relays.

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Reaktionär View Post
        it is the two with the red dot's and you will see the #30 on the bottom of the relays.

Thanks, BTW installing the sealed beams on the 89 was actually simple, I bridged the extra white (one of the dual filament wires to the white on the low beam connection) therefore resolving the "all four lights on while the high beam on situation" I didn't bother taking pics or whatever cause I don't imagine anyone doing/having too, that... Thanks again for you help.

Comment

successful install

so i bought some euro smiley's and installed them with the help of this thread. thanks
          also decided i'd do the relay low-high beam thing, and that was very easy as well.
          yay for me!

Comment

sticky-icky.

Comment

guys I did my lights as well a little ghetto I hope I dont burn anything will see

I've always been proud of being a Marine.
              I won't hesitate to defend the Corps
              "Supersquad"

‎"Prostitutes are a sub-category of Amusement Parks"-

Comment

here goes pics 2 and 3

"Supersquad"

Comment

does any one think I am going to burn anything
                  Last edited by franco90; 05-10-2007, 04:15 PM.

"Supersquad"

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                    Will Work fine.

Here is a mini writeup I wrote awhile ago to help somebody else with it.

Look at the rear of your headlight assembly. You should have 3 sets of connectors

2 wires for the Running Lights (top of the elip)
                    2 wires for the low beam
                    2 wires for the high beam.

Next lets look at your bmw stock wiring.

for your high beam you will have 2 wires, those two wires will be spliced into the connector for the new elip high beam.

Do that for each side. got it? okay high beams are done =)

Now lets look at the low beam connectors that are on the car. As you have a 91, you have sealed beams, so you should see a connector that looks like this.

You will see 3 wires that come into this connector, this is because a regular sealed beam low has 2 filaments and a common ground, when you turn on your highbeams the bump switches filaments. This is no longer needed as the H1 bulbs that are inside the euro elip are a single filament.

Looking at the front of the connector as seen above, you will have a brown/black ground wire (I forget the exact color) and 2 other wires. Using a 12V test light, or a voltmeter (if you don't have one...BUY ONE) you will need to determine when 12volts is being sent down this line.

Turn on your cars headlights, and make sure the high beams are OFF, using your test lamp, connect one end to the ground wire on teh connector (black or brown usually) and tap one of the other wires, find the one that turns the test light on, these are the two wires that you will connect to the new low beam elipsoid headlight, the 3rd wire you can simple tie off (make sure its nicely insulated away from anything metal)

Now for the driving lights, you simply splice into your sidemarkers, pretty simple, 2 wires.

Now if you are not getting power, you screwed up somewhere, check your fuses, check your relays, and make sure you didn't pop anything, if you find a bad fuse...replace it.

Also remmeber that the headlights do not work unless the ignition is on, so make sure its set to ignition and not ACC.

any other questions?

Any chance that these pictures can be re-posted?

Comment

I just converted my sealed beams to US ellips and did the 30 to 30 jumper wire for low beams with high beams. After finishing and tested it also gives me fog lights with the high/low beams. I assume this is normal ??? As a post from above had as well....

Comment

now the question I pose is, can you switch from ellipsoids to sealed beams?
                        '89 325i track sloot
                        '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

why cant everthing be this easy

just finished swapping my sealed beams for euro smileys, thanks to Euro3!

i used this thread, and this write-up too. http://bmw.e30tuner.com/articles_eurolight.php

ran out of time (cold december rain) before i got the city lights done, but I popped out one of the side markers before I quit for the day, and it didnt look as self explantory as i hoped. anything i need to know? also, do i have to solder a jump on the relays, or have some of you just wrapped it? thanks, again, r3vlimited FTW.

Comment

Installed my Euro Smileys today. It was real easy, just took a little bit of time. Just wanted to add to James Crivellone's original DIY post w/ some pics.

Here's my mini writeup:

I ordered my connectors from BMA.
                            Low Beam Cap: 63-12-1-378-333 (x2)
                            High Beam Cap: 63-12-1-381-190 (x2)

Low Beam Connector: 61-13-1-378-419 (x2)
                            High Beam Connector: 61-13-1-378-417 (x2)
                            City Light Connector: 61-13-1-378-418 (x2)

Wires: 61-13-0-007-445 (x2 per Beam)

Remove the grills and seald beams. Check the bentley manual to take these off. Its easy about 8 or so clips and about 10 screws including the 2 for the front grills . This is the easy part.

Look at the rear of your headlight assembly. You should have 3 sets of connectors

2 wires for the City Lights (top of the elip)
                            2 wires for the low beam
                            2 wires for the high beam.

Next lets look at your bmw stock wiring.

For my high beam i had 2 wires (1 brown, 2 white/purple) wires, I spliced into the ground and into one of the white/purple wires (both wires were connected to the same terminal) for the high beam.

For the low beam connectors I had 3 wires as well (1 brown, 1 yellow and 1 white/purple). The sealed beams are dual filament. I used a 12V test light check where the 12V was coming from and it was the yellow wire. Just connect the brown and yellow to the new connectors.

Heres a pic of my weak ass Soldering:

For the city lights, I spliced into the sidemarkers (2 wires + white/purple and - brown)

Always check your fuses and make sure the key is in the ON position when testing to see if the lights work.

That was pretty much it. Just had to tie up all the wires and put back all the panels.

Hope this helps someone. Peace.
                            Last edited by One21Two; 12-24-2007, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by franco90 View Post
                              guys I did my lights as well a little ghetto I hope I dont burn anything will see

So, I was overwhelmed by all that was said but this, and correct me if I am wrong will be turn both high and low beams on at the same time; if car was not wired for ellipsoids or smilies.

I might do this so they both come on

Comment

Originally posted by BBY1104 View Post
                                So, I was overwhelmed by all that was said but this, and correct me if I am wrong will be turn both high and low beams on at the same time; if car was not wired for ellipsoids or smilies.

I might do this so they both come on
                                Im going to try this tomorrow. If doing it this way will work. Ill just solder them to make a better connection. Ill let you know if it works.

Comment

Working...
                                X