No announcement yet.

Tools for the e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

craftsmen profesional is the best for the price. life time warrenty, just about equal with snapon but less then half the price. other good names are Jet, and Mac.

my tool selection is a 250 piece set which i'v added a shit load of extra tools too, consisting off, full set of metric and imperial deep and short sockets, 3/8th drive 1/2 inch drive and the smaller one, forget what that is.. maybe 1/4? 1/2 inch torque wrench, i borrow my neigbors or my friends if i need a 3/8th. compressor, air tools, 2 air sanders, mig welder (2), plasma cutter, jack, jack stands, assortment of saws and grinders, assortment of pullers, multi meters, and the list goes on....
    Last edited by kowalski; 12-08-2005, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by royalflush313
      do you guys use the 3/8" or 1/2" torque wrench most often?
      1/2" is all I have, although a smaller one would be nice for little 13mm nuts and such. the torque wrench I have is overkill for those, but the one I have is fine for most stuff. I wouldn't want to use a 3/8" on things like lugnuts, headbolts or any suspension bits..

also I should add that you should NEVER use a torque wrench as a breaker bar. it's meant to do one thing, and that is to torque fasteners down. breaker bars are a lot cheaper and they are designed for a specific purpose.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have a full 480 piece tool kit from Mastercraft (equivalent to Craftman, only available in Canada), 3 torque wrenches (3/8, 1/2 and 3/4), assortment of air tools, more wrenches than you can shake a stick at, screwdrivers, pliers, everything that is needed to work on any machinery. All bought on sale at a slow pace.

Best advice: ONLY BUY LIFETIME WARRANTY SHIT THAT IS EASY TO EXCHANGE.

If you really use your tools you'll be exchanging the odd wrench or socket once in a while, don't want any hassle (mail order stuff).

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Best advice: ONLY BUY LIFETIME WARRANTY SHIT THAT IS EASY TO EXCHANGE.

If you really use your tools you'll be exchanging the odd wrench or socket once in a while, don't want any hassle (mail order stuff).[/QUOTE]

and buying on sale rules:) i know how you feel!

Comment

Angle grinder and impact gun will be your best friend if your E30 is as rusty as mine.....Also as many wrenches as you can get. A lot of stores will have "cheap bins" of wrenches for a dollar or less. I have 4 or 5 of all the metric wrenches from 5mm to 18mm. Propane torch will come in handy too.
            Trevor M
            1987 325E Coupe......Work in Progress

"Friends dont let friends drive Hondas"

jim89325is wrote
            "Remember, fast cars go fast on the straightaways, while fast drivers go fast in the turns."

Comment

also get some cheap cheap open end wrenches that you can bend to make some custom tools with. it really comes in handy

Comment

Originally posted by kowalski
                also get some cheap cheap open end wrenches that you can bend to make some custom tools with. it really comes in handy
                Verry good advice.

MY box has Metric and standard compleat sets in 1/4 3/8 & 1/2 drives (workinog on 3/4 drive set) Impacts in both 3/8 & 1/2
                every wrench you can think of line, stubby, deep off set box end, etc...
                crows feet met,and sta.
                3 torque wrenchs light foot lbs, heavy foot lbs, and inch pounds
                various hammers, punches, pullers, prybars, meters, testers, benders, flairing tools, air compresor, air chisel, air ratchets, air drill air, die grinder, screw dirver sets, plier sets, allen keys, torx bits standard and inverted,

The list goes on an on, all bought on sale most of it's craftsman pro series

a good tool set will last a lifetime or 2 Its an investment just collect as you can.
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by kowalski
                  Only tools I buy from princess auto are for that very purpose.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Why not just get a 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor or vice versa? I have both 1/2" and 3/8" Strap-On torque wrenches, but I use those adaptors all the time... don't give me any crap about "the reading wont be as accurate due to torsional flex" bs, it's not enough to matter ;)

-Dan
                    never enough money...

'95 240sx base - RB25DET in progress
                    '87 325ic - Project daily

Comment

Originally posted by S14sx2nr
                      Why not just get a 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor or vice versa? I have both 1/2" and 3/8" Strap-On torque wrenches, but I use those adaptors all the time... don't give me any crap about "the reading wont be as accurate due to torsional flex" bs, it's not enough to matter ;)

-Dan
                      a giant torque wrench that goes up to 200ft-lbs isn't going to do you much good on a small nut that is supposed to be torqued to 20 in-lbs. yeah you can do it, but you may as well just use a regular ratchet and go by feel, because you're going to overtorque it with a large torque wrench.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Haha, they were talkin about ft/lb versions of both...

I your speaking of inch/lbs, that's a TOTALLY different story... I was just giving a cheap alternative to some of their concerns..

Just miscommunication :)

-Dan
                        never enough money...

'95 240sx base - RB25DET in progress
                        '87 325ic - Project daily

Comment

The whole point of the different drive torque wrenches is to be most accurate at cerain readings.

For example, my 3/8 goes from 5-80 ft lbs, 1/2 goes from 50 to 250 ft lbs, and my 3/4 goes from 250 to 600 ft lbs.

Also, the less extensions the better, and you should only place your hand on the pivot point if you are supporting the wrench, to affect it less. May be a null point for tolerance, but it's a good habit.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Buy Craftsman. That way the furthest you have to go to get a replacement tool is your nearest Sears.

I'd go ahead and look up the ingredients for building a wheel bearing puller... you'll need it at some point and thank yourself for making it, plus you can rent it to your E30 owning friends who need to do it.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe
                              Only tools I buy from princess auto are for that very purpose.
                              I have a shitty 1/2" torque wrench and breaker bar from Princess auto Yeah it's kind of a shame to admit, but for what I do, only think I use a 1/2" torque wrench is to torque my wheels... and it does the job.

I'm hoping to buy a good quality 3/8" torque wrench, but right now, I'm not made out of cash - just ask kowalski :D
                              I will probably get a craftsman from Sears, or the Mastercraft from Cambodian Tire (the less inferior version of the Princess Auto).
                              ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Originally posted by trevorm
                                Angle grinder and impact gun will be your best friend if your E30 is as rusty as mine.....Also as many wrenches as you can get. A lot of stores will have "cheap bins" of wrenches for a dollar or less. I have 4 or 5 of all the metric wrenches from 5mm to 18mm. Propane torch will come in handy too.
                                el cheapo spanners and sockets destroy your nuts and bolts, probably why you need the angle grinder...
                                (yeah I know a good workman doesn't blame his tools but I guess that aint me)

Comment

Working...
                                X