No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe i missed it but what tie rods do you use with the E36 Rack?

E36 inner and outter tie rods or E30 inner and outter tie rods?

Comment

I paid a local e30 enthusiast with prior experience doing this to install a 1995 325i rack in my 1990 325is this weekend when i was on vaca. i did this as my experience level and available tools (and time) are in short supply and I was not about to modify my own firewall and get stuck up a creek w/o a paddle on my own.

I love results, I just need a minor alignment and I'm good to go. I used the tie rods (both inner and outer) from the e36 rack, but replaced them with new ones including boots etc. I will post picks of his work if i can as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jalves619 View Post
        I'm in the process of doing the swap now with a 1990 325i Airbag car. I've shimmed the rack and bolted it in to the holes further away from the subframe because the rack boots came into contact with the engine mount tabs when I had it bolted closer to the subframe. Der affe said he didn't have to modify anything including his firewall plate and his setup was the closest to what I've got. Since I don't have to modify the knuckle I should be good to go right? Holy huge ass picture batman Sorry
        I think you should flip the spacers below the rack...I think it will help reduce bump steer...someone correct me if I'm wrong.
        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

I have since moved 4 washers underneath the rack and left 2 on top raising it just a tad. I also decided to JB weld the stacks of washers together so I didn't have to keep searching for a dozen washers in the gravel in the dark. Also I moved the rack to the rearward holes because it seemed the way I had it I would have interference issues with the oil pan. Can't say whether or not my setup will be functional because I've been doing a 5lug swap alongside the rack swap. It goes rather slow since I only get the odd hour here and there to work on it and I try not to annoy the neighbors too much.

Comment

After my 95 m3 rack swap in my 1990 325I w/ airbag, the rubber boot at the very top rubs when I turn the steering wheel, anyone else experienced this or have a fix?
            -Darius (aka DiscoDoughnuts on other forums)

dude man bro...

Comment

I cant get the e36 PS line to work nor the e30 PS line. I think this part of the install is a real pain. I must be doing something wrong.

I found a custom hose shop in Woodstock, going to go talk to them today.
              Randall Racing and Engineering
              Acworth, Georgia, 30101
              http://www.facebook.com/RandallRacingandEngineering

Comment

So after reading all 34 pages of this conversion,
                in a non airbag cabby...
                1. You can use the e30 HP hose and just reverse it.
                2. You can just use spacers and not modify the steering knuckle assembly.
                3. Prolly best to use e36 m3 inner and outer tie rods since they are beefier.
                and all this will work with e30 CA's and e30 M3 Offset bushes...

or am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Jalves619 View Post
                  I'm in the process of doing the swap now with a 1990 325i Airbag car. I've shimmed the rack and bolted it in to the holes further away from the subframe because the rack boots came into contact with the engine mount tabs when I had it bolted closer to the subframe. Der affe said he didn't have to modify anything including his firewall plate and his setup was the closest to what I've got. Since I don't have to modify the knuckle I should be good to go right? Holy huge ass picture batman Sorry
                  Did you use new bolts for the subframe mount? Are these 2-inch x 3/8" Grade 8 bolts like what was used for the knuckle?
                  I'm compiling a parts list for my trip to the hardware store and I wanted to be sure I pick up extras if i need them.

Also, where is everyone getting the crush washers from for the banjo bolts? Are y'all reusing the old ones?

Comment

Originally posted by r3dl3tr5 View Post
                    Did you use new bolts for the subframe mount? Are these 2-inch x 3/8" Grade 8 bolts like what was used for the knuckle?
                    I'm compiling a parts list for my trip to the hardware store and I wanted to be sure I pick up extras if i need them.

Also, where is everyone getting the crush washers from for the banjo bolts? Are y'all reusing the old ones?
                    Just heated the old washers with a torch and then threw them in some water flamin hot to expand them.

As for the PS pressure line. I cant believe I waisted my time bending and tweaking OEM lines when I had a custom SS braided line made for 43 bucks.

Find a custome hose shop. It makes your life so much easiera and cheaper!
                    Acworth, Georgia, 30101

Comment

Originally posted by dnova89 View Post
                      After my 95 m3 rack swap in my 1990 325I w/ airbag, the rubber boot at the very top rubs when I turn the steering wheel, anyone else experienced this or have a fix?
                      If anyone could chime in on this would be great! Gonna have the car worked on again in a couple weeks and would love to solve this.

Basically it's the boot at the very top where it goes to through the firewall to meet with the steering wheel. When I turn the wheel it rubs and makes an annoying sound, how can I clear this boot? Sprayed it with WD-40 but doesn't help much.

dude man bro...

Comment

anyone have any pics of how they routed the PSPump-to-Rack hose?

Comment

Fastest, Cheapest, and easiest way is custom line from PS pump to hose. I just went through this and wish I had gone custome hose from the very beginning instead of fking up a new e30 hose and a new e36 hose.

The one i had made looks really nice braided SS steal with anodized blue fittings.

I was in and out of the custom hose shop in less than 30 minutes.

Thats just my opininon.
                          Acworth, Georgia, 30101

Comment

^sounds like a good option... wish I heard of this earlier. btw what is all this talk of e36 hoses? I just bought new e30 hoses for everything and had them modified to fit. If I ever do this again though I'll go the SS line route like cobraken mentioned.

dude man bro...

Comment

Originally posted by cobraken View Post
                              Fastest, Cheapest, and easiest way is custom line from PS pump to hose. I just went through this and wish I had gone custome hose from the very beginning instead of fking up a new e30 hose and a new e36 hose.

The one i had made looks really nice braided SS steal with anodized blue fittings.

I was in and out of the custom hose shop in less than 30 minutes.

Thats just my opininon.
                              Sounds nice, but not an option for me. I have a perfectly good hose that will work when flipped 180*, based on what everyone has said, but I need a verification photo to show how it's routed/attached.

Comment

thanks for the write up...

Comment

Working...
                                X