No announcement yet.

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am very surprised that more people aren't doing this. This is what I'm going to be doing (I didn't even know that someone else had done it)
    This is by far the best option, especially when considering budget and time consumption.
    E30 buildy things
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=195286

Comment

So...the hardware kit I got from Emotech failed. The bolts were 2mm larger than the hole they were going into, so they had to be modified, and the spacers spaced it out so much that the rack wouldn't go into its slot. Ugh. So much for being bolt in. Hopefully I can figure the rest of it out tomorrow.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I had to drill out the holes with the AKG kit as per directions, but it worked out great.
        -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Hmmm. I got no directions with mine. With mine, I got two spacers, one small one and one bigger one. What's the small one for?

Comment

What is the reasoning for the solid flex disc over just bolting the two pieces straight together?
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              What is the reasoning for the solid flex disc over just bolting the two pieces straight together?
              No idea . I just didn't Wana deal with getting washers or finding correct length bolts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
              Last edited by FLG; 06-28-2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much! Got it all back together just a few minutes ago. Going to try to figure out how I can modify my high pressure line coming off the pump to the rack (the e30 line.)

Comment

No problem. I got the line on with very little tweaking.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

My non-air bag experience

Points to mention:

1) I think this parts list is off and it is much easier if you buy the spacer kit form e30tech, AKG or other vendors that sell a spacer kit. Here's my breakdown on the parts I actually needed from list. Keep in mind I bought the e30tech spacer kit.

No--7/16 Bolt 2 Inches Long - - xxxxxxxxxxxx - - - - -x2 - - -$???
                    No--Bolt M10x50 - - - - - - - - - 26111226737 - - - - x2 - - -$2.70
                    No--Self Locking Nuts - - - - - - 07129964672 - - - - x2 - - -$0.60
                    Yes--Copper Seals 14x20 - - - - -32411093596 - - - - -x4 - - -$0.68
                    Yes--Copper Seals 16x22 - - - - -32411093597 - - - - -x4 - - -$1.04
                    Yes, but just 2--Self Locking Nuts - - - - - - 07129922716 - - - - -x4 - - $1.20
                    Yes--Power Steering Res. - - - - -32411097164 - - - - x1 - - -$19.50
                    Yes, but better options exist--High Pres. PS Hose - - - - - 32411141953 - - - - -x1 - - -$74.00
                    No--Spacer - - - - - - - - - - - -72118119268 - - - - -x1 - - -$2.05
                    No--Spacer - - - - - - - - - - - -72111847480 - - - - -x2 - - -$1.92
                    No--Nut - - - - - - - - - - - - - -72111977925 - - - - -x2 - - -$1.10
                    Yes, but better options exist--LP PS Return Hoses - - - - - xxxxxxxxxxx - - - - - x2 - - -$14.50
                    Yes--Bottle of ATF - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -x1 - - -$2.50
                    No--I did Nachos--Tacos - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - -x3 - - -$2.75

2) Safety Loss--The mod that everyone does takes away the column collapse safety feature. I am interested in the method shown in post #856. I didn't do this one, but wonder if it would be the safer route.

Watch the column come at the dummies head in this video on the old chevy at 49 seconds. Safety Video Sorry to be a Buzz Killington, but it is worth mentioning.

3) You versus the steer knuckles -- The hardest part on this job by far is getting the steer column in an out. Aluminum and Steel will corrode together over time in a nasty way. The column knuckles are aluminum and the shafts are steel. In rust belt states, this corrosion is only going to be worse. As stated in post #855, heat is your friend. So is a tie rod fork or pickle fork. I had to cheat a flat crow bar plus the pickle fork in between the knuckle and the fire wall to get it to move.

4) Getting the column back in..go deep on the shaft :) : The further on the shaft you get the knuckles, the better the column alignment. Be willing to go way past what looks normal. I like the option of using an M6 bolt on the rack side of the shaft and cheating that one further down. The deeper you get the knuckles on the shaft, the less you will have to grind away metal on the knuckle.

For getting it in, some longer rods to tap with a hammer and help the knuckle back on the shaft really helped.

5) Low Pressure Lines: 16 x 22mm Bulk Hose--I had trouble finding this tubing. I used 5/8" ID tubing from a hydraulic supply store. 16MM is .629 inches. 5/8" is .625. It worked just fine and was 4 dollars. I did the same with the smaller one. It was very close to a 1/2" line.

6) Low Press Line Burst -- After I got it all together and started it, my clamp in the LP line from the rack popped off. On the 36 unit, the LP line has a stronger connection(like the HP lines) for it's first connection. If you use the LP line from an E30, I'd make sure you have a really good clamp or two in the LP line from the rack.

7) High Pressure Hose: I used the line listed above and don't feel it is ideal(I think it is the e36 line). In hindsite, I'd either 1) get a new e30 hose or 2) bring my old e30 hose to the hydraulic supply guys and have them rebuild it. They rebuilt option would be less expensive! I wish I would have done that. They could reuse the banjo ends and clamp up fresh soft lines.

I hope these notes can help anyone trying this project. And yes, it is a very nice improvement in steering.
                    Last edited by jimmyv65; 06-30-2013, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                      The holes need to be offset for u-joint to properly function, so it wont bind and lock itsef when turning the sterring wheel.

Comment

Good to know, thanks!

Edit: I don't really see how rotating it 90 degrees would really affect the ujoint, as it would just bend the opposite way, would it not?
                        Last edited by Northern; 06-29-2013, 03:18 PM.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by MattAvino View Post
                          I am very surprised that more people aren't doing this. This is what I'm going to be doing (I didn't even know that someone else had done it)
                          This is by far the best option, especially when considering budget and time consumption.
                          I like this!

Originally posted by jimmyv65 View Post
                          Points to mention:

1) I think this parts list is off and it is much easier if you buy the spacer kit form e30tech or other vendors that sell a spacer kit. Here's my breakdown on the parts I actually needed from list. Keep in mind I bought the e30tech spacer kit.

No--7/16 Bolt 2 Inches Long - - xxxxxxxxxxxx - - - - -x2 - - -$???
                          No--Bolt M10x50 - - - - - - - - - 26111226737 - - - - x2 - - -$2.70
                          No--Self Locking Nuts - - - - - - 07129964672 - - - - x2 - - -$0.60
                          Yes--Copper Seals 14x20 - - - - -32411093596 - - - - -x4 - - -$0.68
                          Yes--Copper Seals 16x22 - - - - -32411093597 - - - - -x4 - - -$1.04
                          Yes, but just 2--Self Locking Nuts - - - - - - 07129922716 - - - - -x4 - - $1.20
                          Yes--Power Steering Res. - - - - -32411097164 - - - - x1 - - -$19.50
                          Yes, but better options exist--High Pres. PS Hose - - - - - 32411141953 - - - - -x1 - - -$74.00
                          No--Spacer - - - - - - - - - - - -72118119268 - - - - -x1 - - -$2.05
                          No--Spacer - - - - - - - - - - - -72111847480 - - - - -x2 - - -$1.92
                          No--Nut - - - - - - - - - - - - - -72111977925 - - - - -x2 - - -$1.10
                          Yes, but better options exist--LP PS Return Hoses - - - - - xxxxxxxxxxx - - - - - x2 - - -$14.50
                          Yes--Bottle of ATF - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -x1 - - -$2.50
                          No--I did Nachos--Tacos - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - -x3 - - -$2.75

2) Safety Loss--The mod that everyone does takes away the column collapse safety feature. I am interested in the method shown in post #856. I didn't do this one, but wonder if it would be the safer route.

Watch the column come at the dummies head in this video on the old chevy at 49 seconds. Safety Video Sorry to be a Buzz Killington, but it is worth mentioning.

3) You versus the steer knuckles -- The hardest part on this job by far is getting the steer column in an out. Aluminum and Steel will corrode together over time in a nasty way. The column knuckles are aluminum and the shafts are steel. In rust belt states, this corrosion is only going to be worse. As stated in post #855, heat is your friend. So is a tie rod fork or pickle fork. I had to cheat a flat crow bar plus the pickle fork in between the knuckle and the fire wall to get it to move.

4) Getting the column back in..go deep on the shaft :) : The further on the shaft you get the knuckles, the better the column alignment. Be willing to go way past what looks normal. I like the option of using an M6 bolt on the rack side of the shaft and cheating that one further down. The deeper you get the knuckles on the shaft, the less you will have to grind away metal on the knuckle.

For getting it in, some longer rods to tap with a hammer and help the knuckle back on the shaft really helped.

5) Low Pressure Lines: 16 x 22mm Bulk Hose--I had trouble finding this tubing. I used 5/8" ID tubing from a hydraulic supply store. 16MM is .629 inches. 5/8" is .625. It worked just fine and was 4 dollars. I did the same with the smaller one. It was very close to a 1/2" line.

6) Low Press Line Burst -- After I got it all together and started it, my clamp in the LP line from the rack popped off. On the 36 unit, the LP line has a stronger connection(like the HP lines) for it's first connection. If you use the LP line from an E30, I'd make sure you have a really good clamp or two in the LP line from the rack.

7) High Pressure Hose: I used the line listed above and don't feel it is ideal(I think it is the e36 line). In hindsite, I'd either 1) get a new e30 hose or 2) bring my old e30 hose to the hydraulic supply guys and have them rebuild it. They rebuilt option would be less expensive! I wish I would have done that. They could reuse the banjo ends and clamp up fresh soft lines.

I hope these notes can help anyone trying this project. And yes, it is a very nice improvement in steering.
                          All good points, and eventually I will revamp this DIY once I get a chance to update some things.

I will say the AKG kit is also a good spacer option and you don't have to replace the steering joint guibo with a solid one. That's just a personal preference.

The high pressure hose also has some options. Honestly now when I do them I just bend the rack side of the stock E30 HP hose about 45 degrees out and it works just fine.

Also, its worth mentioning that if you are doing a 24v swap and use an OBD2 Luk LF30 PS pump you have to use the E36 OBD2 HP hose because the ends are both different.
                          Last edited by RobertK; 06-29-2013, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                            All good points....
                            I should have said it originally, but thanks for your work on the initial write up. You've helped tons of folks with what you started. I am glad to contribute!
                            Last edited by jimmyv65; 06-30-2013, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Has anyone installed the top knuckle to steering shaft, rack to subframe w/ bottom half of knuckle, and then installed spacers/bolts to connect the knuckle?
                              I am performing this mission solo and its been a pain in the arse trying to get the rack lined in the bottom and then into subframe..
                              The only issue I see is having to rotate the top portion of the knuckle in order to line the knuckle up, but then I can just remove the steering wheel and straighten it.
                              I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Comment

Working...
                              X