No announcement yet.

Bumpers, bumpers, bumpers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow scab, cry becuse i wnna learn about e30's and cant find the exact anwsers im looking for....

Comment

non db to db? ever?

Comment

Has anyone ever tried this method to do a bumper tuck? This was in this DIY section, the very last entry.

15.2.2: Tucking in large front bumpers

(NOTE, this applies to the large 5mph silver bumpers on pre-89(?) E30s)

-----------------------
        for anyone who has an E30, don't know if this applies to any others, and want
        to shrink the front diving board, here's what to do. There is no need to
        drill out the bumper shocks, nor replace them with 89-91 shocks which I was
        about to do. Instead,
        >remove bumper
        >remove shocks
        >loosen lock nut at the opposite end of shock about 1.5"s
        >while holding shock body, turn the mount end clockwise and you'll magically
        see the shock length decrease. You can keep turning until it bottoms.
        >align the mount so that it will be vertical after the shock has been
        replaced and tighten the lock nut.
        > mount the shock, you will have to fiddle with the play in the shock mount
        to the car in order to achieve the correct height from side to side so that
        when the bumper is installed there is no gap along the top.
        >actual time 20mins to do. This is a good time to check the turn signal
        connections for corrosion, apply lithium grease here.
        THIS WAS SO EASY AND THE APPEARANCE IS SUCH AN IMPROVEMENT

Comment

Originally posted by Mike30e View Post
          Has anyone ever tried this method to do a bumper tuck? This was in this DIY section, the very last entry.

15.2.2: Tucking in large front bumpers

(NOTE, this applies to the large 5mph silver bumpers on pre-89(?) E30s)

-----------------------
          for anyone who has an E30, don't know if this applies to any others, and want
          to shrink the front diving board, here's what to do. There is no need to
          drill out the bumper shocks, nor replace them with 89-91 shocks which I was
          about to do. Instead,
          >remove bumper
          >remove shocks
          >loosen lock nut at the opposite end of shock about 1.5"s
          >while holding shock body, turn the mount end clockwise and you'll magically
          see the shock length decrease. You can keep turning until it bottoms.
          >align the mount so that it will be vertical after the shock has been
          replaced and tighten the lock nut.
          > mount the shock, you will have to fiddle with the play in the shock mount
          to the car in order to achieve the correct height from side to side so that
          when the bumper is installed there is no gap along the top.
          >actual time 20mins to do. This is a good time to check the turn signal
          connections for corrosion, apply lithium grease here.
          THIS WAS SO EASY AND THE APPEARANCE IS SUCH AN IMPROVEMENT
          I don't think that there is a nut at the end of the shock....

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by custom e30 View Post
            wow scab, cry becuse i wnna learn about e30's and cant find the exact anwsers im looking for....
            He's to busy crying cuz my dick is to large for his puny asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
              Anyone?

I know the shocks will bolt on but I need to install the side supports and since I have a 1988 I assume the body already has the plastic bumper support holes for mounting said supports...

Anyone who actually did the swap on a 88 comment? Alternatively have a friend with a 1990 325i coupe so definitely could make a template if need be.
              Im pretty sure there are holes are already drilled.If I recall correctly the holes are used to mount the bumper surrounding on the '88. Just make sure you have the plastic bumper shocks. When we did my friend's '88 car there were gaps and I had to drive home and give him my spare plastic bumper shocks and gaps are gone.
              -Frank
              1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
              1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
              2001 525i

Comment

Originally posted by 318driver View Post
                Ill add to this i guess about verts to clear that up.
                Any year Verts can swap plastic bumpers on there car to replace the metal bumpers. However the rear valance on coupes is part of the uni body.

i have an 89 vert, and both front and rear plastic bumpers. However, i do not have the plastic part that goes under the rear bumper and hugs the exhaust. Is this the "unibody" you are referring to, if so, how do I obtain, and attach it to the plastic bumper I have?

Comment

Originally posted by georgE30 View Post
                  i have an 89 vert, and both front and rear plastic bumpers. However, i do not have the plastic part that goes under the rear bumper and hugs the exhaust. Is this the "unibody" you are referring to, if so, how do I obtain, and attach it to the plastic bumper I have?

The part that is below the rear bumper of an original plastic bumpered car is not a plastic add-on. It is steel and, yes, part of the unibody. To do it right you would have to cut it off of a parts car and weld it onto the body of your car. It does not attach to the bumper.

Comment

ok question here, i have an 87 vert and i dont want to keep my stock db and im taking my kit off what would you guys suggest?

e24 e9 e30
                    IG: peterkaczynski

Comment

plastic bumpers, you have shallow rear arches right?
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

yup but with the plastic bumpers dont i have to do heavy mods to it?
                        and thanks for the quick response

e24 e9 e30

Comment

Originally posted by teh_activ View Post
                          yup but with the plastic bumpers dont i have to do heavy mods to it?
                          and thanks for the quick response
                          afaik, the only mod youll have to do is something to hold the sides of the rear bumper up. you shouldnt have to cut the bumpers to shorten the sides.
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                            afaik, the only mod youll have to do is something to hold the sides of the rear bumper up. you shouldnt have to cut the bumpers to shorten the sides.
                            i night keep my rear skirt on that i have now but all im worried about the front, so the from plastic bumpers will just come on no problem?

e24 e9 e30

Comment

front plastics fit any e30 no problem

Comment

fanny-lifted rear

DB-to-PB with a Hartge apron. Changed things up for sure. Any know of a Zender or RD rear apron source that I can try, let me know.

Comment

Working...
                                X