No announcement yet.

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ are we supposed to grind thru the selector rod instead like they did from the factory? :)

Comment

Originally posted by AlarmedBread View Post
      ^ are we supposed to grind thru the selector rod instead like they did from the factory? :)
      no, redesign the shift console so that shit dosent happen, and not hack shit together

for everybody that cant figure that out, raise the pivot point

Comment

Raising the pivot point is done by drilling a hole, no? I don't see how that is any less of a hack than bending a rod to make it fit.

There is no room on my car to move the pivot point up enough either (without making a new rear bushing/mounting bracket etc.)

Comment

use a sheet metal shift console, with a z3 2.8/3.0 (on my car) i raised the pivot point by drilling out the original and welding in a tube to put the pivot point up 1.3 inches or something like that

it works great on my car, with no notchness and a much shorter throw, also it looks cool because it puts the pivot for the shifter up into the body of the car

someday ill make something for the aluminum shift console that does the same thing

what would be best is a really long rod below the pivot and a really long rod after the pivot, to give it a short throw, but the shifter is still close to you

/end of rant about bending shift linkages

Comment

AHHHHH Im still torn between going with the Z4 2.5 OR Z3 1.9 SSK.

I want it for somewhat DD so I want it smooth which is why ive narrowed it down to these two. Ive driven Z4 2.5 and loved the feel of it, never tried Z3 1.9 but it seems everyone raves about how smooth and good the feel is for driving rather often.

Anyone ever had both of these or wanna give there vote for one or the other ?? Thanks.
            Einige Autos dürfen nicht runter gehen... einfach weil sie so spezial sind. - Wenn man von BMW's der '70 und '80 Jahre redet.

Comment

Well it depends what you want.

The z4 will have a shorter height in car, and also a shorter throw. The z3 1.9 is a bit taller and longer throw, so its smother, less notchy etc.

I think what I put on is a bit too short/notchy. I have to be very careful shifting into 5th so I don't money it ;).

Mr Deagle - That is a good method, and I'd thought about doing that, but was in too much of a hurry to do it right since it was sunday night and I needed the car to drive to work/school the next day. I will be doing that at a later point and will try to remember and take pictures of various steps on ze red one.

Comment

See thats the thing tho, Everyone says that Z3 1.9 is a nice deal shorter yet very smooth/good for if you drive the car often. Meanwhile Ive actually driven Z4 2.5 and found it a nice short throw and very smooth to shift, so I cant imagine how Z3 must be unless its that it does not shorten throw by much at all (allowing for the smoothest shift which ppl seem to say it is)
                Would that be a correct assumption ???
                Einige Autos dürfen nicht runter gehen... einfach weil sie so spezial sind. - Wenn man von BMW's der '70 und '80 Jahre redet.

Comment

just installed the Z4 shifter on my car.. just hadd to do a little modifying to get it in but mine is centered..... its notchy but good notchy.. AND I LOVE IT!!!
                  not sure about the Z3 one... but my z4 shifter with new knob and NARDI steering wheel.. and it feels great!!!

i will take pics shortly!
                  84" PORSCHE 944
                  97" BMW Z3 (R.I.P)
                  97" MERCEDES ML320
                  05" LOTUS ELISE (R.I.P)
                  84" BMW 325e !!!!!

Comment

I think I'm gonna have to try the Z3 or Z4 lever in my E28... The Getrag is already notchy though, so I'm not so sure about adding more notchiness...
                    '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Deagle View Post
                      use a sheet metal shift console, with a z3 2.8/3.0 (on my car) i raised the pivot point by drilling out the original and welding in a tube to put the pivot point up 1.3 inches or something like that

it works great on my car, with no notchness and a much shorter throw, also it looks cool because it puts the pivot for the shifter up into the body of the car

someday ill make something for the aluminum shift console that does the same thing

what would be best is a really long rod below the pivot and a really long rod after the pivot, to give it a short throw, but the shifter is still close to you

Yes, drilling and welding requires far less work, and is less of a hack job than bending a single peice of metal rod in a vice.... Makes sence.

Comment

Originally posted by pennell View Post
                        Yes, drilling and welding requires far less work, and is less of a hack job than bending a single peice of metal rod in a vice.... Makes sence.

that was completely ass backwards

(sense)<

Comment

I think he was being sarcastic...

Thats how I read it at least.
                          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Deagle View Post

Im with you. I'm pretty sure you guys have all seen B&M's short shifter, and it has that little funny blue thing where the ball of the shifter is supposed to be. That is a cup that raises the pivot point, and it really works. I am using a aluminum shifter console, and it sits where the nylon cup used to be. under near, they give you a snap ring that clip it in so it doesnt pop out. i just bought one of those fake b&m ebay shifters with those purple things on em, but it took some grinding to get it to fit (i think i bought the wrong one, for e36.) FYI i dont reccomend those ebay shifters that have the purple cup, get the ones with the blue cup and actually comes WITH hardware.

and using a very short shifter (long shaft between the ball and the shift linkage hole) without raising the pivot point increases shifting effort by ALOT. all that notchiness will get less notchy with raising the pivot point.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                            PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post

and using a very short shifter (long shaft between the ball and the shift linkage hole) without raising the pivot point increases shifting effort by ALOT. all that notchiness will get less notchy with raising the pivot point.

exactly

Comment

I think most people get a short shifter for the looks anyway, not for better shift times. those really short Z4 levers are probably no better than stock for shift times..
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X