No announcement yet.

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

uh, take out the harmonic balancer? it's really not neccesary..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

So why is it there?

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
        So why is it there?
        It's not even installed on all e30s, so it's safe to remove it. This has been covered many times too :)
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
          It's not even installed on all e30s, so it's safe to remove it. This has been covered many times too :)
          yeah i realized that after searching for a bit :)

I will consider it though thanks.

Comment

FYI, Ireland Engineering has reported that they were actually seeing pre-mature wear on their higher HP cars that kept the harmonic balancers. They run all their cars without the balancer now.
            Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
            FullOpp Stickers for sale!
            NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
            Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
            ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

So why is it there?
              so the yuppies BMW was selling cars to in the '80s wouldn't complain about NVH.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                so the yuppies BMW was selling cars to in the '80s wouldn't complain about NVH.
                Ding ding ding. Correct.

Comment

not to discredit anyone because it really really isn't my intention. But how do you guys figure this out? I mean was there some specific testing done for these conclusions or the fact that it's some what known that the "known function" of a harmonic balancer is just merely hearsay?

Comment

Only 1 out of 3 of my transmissions came with the HB. All of them are mated to M20 6-cylinders, so no difference there.

The small guibo 260 in my '87 iS came with the HB installed. My big-guibo'd 260 and 245 tranny didnt have balancers. Both came from the factory without balancers.

That's how I determined that it wasnt important. If it didnt have it from the factory, then it must not be important. I took it off my standard 260 as well, all I had to do was grind the hell out of a deep socket to make a custom thin-wall.

Comment

not to discredit anyone because it really really isn't my intention. But how do you guys figure this out? I mean was there some specific testing done for these conclusions or the fact that it's some what known that the "known function" of a harmonic balancer is just merely hearsay?
                      I have been running my car without a harmonic balancer for 10k miles and the track car for 20 track events+

Normal wear.

Ireland Engineering builds and races many cars, and I took what they said based on their likely experience. :)
                      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

because some of us have been modifying e30s for 5-10+ years and have been down that road already.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift View Post
                          I have been running my car without a harmonic balancer for 10k miles and the track car for 20 track events+

Normal wear.

Ireland Engineering builds and races many cars, and I took what they said based on their likely experience. :)
                          Thanks for the input.

because some of us have been modifying e30s for 5-10+ years and have been down that road already.
                          I haven't been down that road thats why im asking the question on a forum. Ive checked a lot of threads, and knowingly probably missed a bunch, and pretty much everyone explains it like you. You trying to explain to me to why i shouldn't have my HB is like an episode of Lost. Frustrating to listen to and then left with 40 more questions after your done.

I get that your trying to help me and your opinion along with some other people's experiences is making me consider in taking it off.

Comment

Originally posted by e30prideTN View Post
                            Well I should be newer and I just placed the order with Patrick...http://www.bmaparts.com/item.wws?sku...entid=bmaparts

He said this should be all that I need unless I find anything else within it that needs replacing.

Total w/ discount...$69!! Now off to find a knob.
                            Is this kit equivalent to using an OEM Z3M shifter? What do you guys recommend as the best choice (and not too expensive either)

Thanks
                            344is! Obd1 conversion

sigpic

Comment

just got a kit from BMA

Hi,
                              I just called BMA and ordered the Z3 2.8 kit. My question is, do I have to buy a new Selector rod joint and guide pin? Or can I simply buy the washers and bushings to rebuild the selector rod?

Thanks
                              344is! Obd1 conversion

sigpic

Comment

whats the best for the ETA??
                                Originally posted by e30e
                                lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

Working...
                                X