No announcement yet.

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about those guys at autosolutions.net. I saw there add in Bimmer mag and I talked to a guy on the phone and he seemed very knowledgeable. He said around $260 for everything for my 86.

Does anyone have that shifter?
    Randall Racing and Engineering
    Acworth, Georgia, 30101
    http://www.facebook.com/RandallRacingandEngineering

Comment

attempted to install my z3 1.9 shifter today but failed due to grinding against the drive shaft. You think BMA auto will accept it back and return me a new one or a different one?

Comment

Originally posted by blueapplesoda View Post
        I was messing around with the new ebay ssk today and found that:

1. You can fit a stock nylon bushing (I was testing with an e36 bushing) and use a oem shift lever with this raised shift carrier.

2. It is very difficult to get the stock lever and bushing back out of the carrier because the snap ring groove catches the nylon tabs.

So choose the right lever and buy an extra bushing if you're gonna use the stock setups.
        Do you have it installed yet and are you using it?

Thoughts/feedback?

I like this route w/ the braze or even solder of the joints.

However am wondering how you like it. Installed pics would rock too.

Cheapest I see this similar design online is $89.99 now. Care to share which seller you got yours from for $50?
        item # would be even more helpful
        Build : Das Drehmoment Ungeheuer

Comment

any help?

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
            Found this thread again :-)

most unimpressive part about eBay shifter is it's sitting in by two rubber O-rings, and I couldn't stand for that. It's one thing having your shift knob fly off in between gears, and whole other thing having entire shift lever do that.
            The old style ebay shifters (NOT the one I just recently posted, but the earlier style with the small blue cup) are supposed to be secured with a large circlip underneath the shift carrier, preventing the cup/shifter assembly from flying out. the Orings are just bushings to take up slack.

Originally posted by GotCone?
            ^

I purchased the new style full carrier shifter from a guy named "Kazespeed" on eBay, maybe get in contact with the seller and see if he can get that item. If he can't get it anymore, or doesn't want to, I can look into it, but I may have to buy a small quantity, so my prices may not be as attractive as the $50 kaze had them posted. It may even be cheaper, too, we'll see.

Have yet to install it....but the ebay item # is 310119049822, although no listing is available, you may be able to use that number for reference when emailing the seller.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
            PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Originally posted by PAKMANe90post View Post
              attempted to install my z3 1.9 shifter today but failed due to grinding against the drive shaft. You think BMA auto will accept it back and return me a new one or a different one?
              It should not grind on the driveshaft. You may have to remove the harmonic balancer.

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
              PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Has anyone heard of autosolutions and the shifters they make?
                Randall Racing and Engineering
                Acworth, Georgia, 30101
                http://www.facebook.com/RandallRacingandEngineering

Comment

helpful information

Here we have a picture overall of what we are working with.

A picture of the selector rod
                  the bitch clip/guide pin
                  and the shifting arm

The bushings for the carrier arm. that go on the end closest to the transmission. They are made out of delrin and can be purchased from Akg.

A close up of the bitch clip, thanks to UUC

Here is a picture of someone who modified their selector rod.

The selector rod can be modified by adding 2lb plumbers solder wrapped tightly all the way across and then wrapped in electrical tape. Be careful with clearance issues depending on what shift lever you choose and if you have a harmonic balancer and or have an eta with a bigger guibo when compared to the regular I engines.
                  The selector rod in this picture has not been bent, depending which parts you choose you may need to bend the selector rod.

I am going with the z3 1.9 shift lever or the e36 m3 shift lever I have not decided but I'm leaning towards the z3 1.9
                  anyone have any input to persuade me One over the other?

I have a 1987 325e with an aluminum carrier
                  no harmonic balancer
                  large version guibo

new bitch clip/guide pin
                  PART number 25 11 1 221 849
                  cost 6.50

The bushings for the carrier arm. that go on the end closest to the transmission. They are made out of delrin and can be purchased from Akg.
                  In my opnion this should help take out a lot of the slop

cost 15.00

New selector rod joint is the other most loose item in the e30 shifter in my opinion.
                  part number 25-11-7-501-309-M200
                  cost 15.75
                  25-11-7-501-309

needed to complete the new shifter swap is the nylon bushing
                  part number 25 11 1 220 600 or 25-11-1-469-397-M92
                  cost 5.00

z3 1.9 shift lever
                  PART number 25 11 1 434 148
                  Cost 40-60

Rear carrier bushing and bracket
                  PART number 25111220707
                  cost 27.50

New selector shaft seal( might as well do it since your in there)
                  23-12-1-282-394-M30
                  or
                  cost around 3.00

Instead of using the yellow spacer rings
                  part number 25 11 1 220 439
                  You need 4 washers
                  I have read that some people recommend a brass or steel washer instead of the yellow ones because
                  A, It tightens up the feel.
                  B, It won't degrade over time.
                  C, you can take the old yellow ones out and go to a hardware store and find ones that are the same thickness and similar diameter and done deal.
                  D, if anyone knows the outer diameter and inner diameter and the thickness, post up

I do recommend getting new circlips just in case you destroy the old ones on there way out.
                  Part number 25 11 1 220 379
                  or try this part number on pelican parts 25-11-7-571-899-M9
                  You need two circlips
                  Cost 0.75 cents each

I hope this information has been helpful to all.
                  As the 40+page is a lot to get through. I tried to condense some of the part numbers and tips all into one post, as best as I could.
                  Last edited by iwantspeed; 08-07-2009, 11:51 AM.

-
                  Project
                  Parts for Sale
                  Feedback
                  YouTube Channel

Comment

if you install a short shifter do you need to remove the exhaust. how do you replace it??
                    1990 325i BMW

Comment

No, it can be done with the exhaust and driveshaft in place. Just not very pleasant.

Comment

If you fully understand the diagram, and have the appropriate tools you can probably manage to get it on with out taking off the drive shaft and the exhaust. Its just easier to do it with those 2 items removed.

One tips is to place a jack on the trans with a piece of wood to prevent damaging it.
                        then remove the support for the trans.
                        lower the trans a bit to have better access to the bitch clip.

-
                        Project
                        Parts for Sale
                        Feedback
                        YouTube Channel

Comment

Bitch clip

diy guide with pictures
                          Loosey-goosey shifter got you down? Transmission grinding? Perhaps it's just your shift bushings that are worn. Find out how to replace them here.

-
                          Project
                          Parts for Sale
                          Feedback
                          YouTube Channel

Comment

I just installed the Z3 1.9, took about 30 minutes without removing the driveshaft (or harmonic balancer, short on time), I've got a subtle grind in first and third, but the throw is perfect, very nice mod. Tomorrow I'll remove the balancer and later I'll replace some linkage bushings.

There's one thing though, you can't reuse the stock E30 shift boot without modification, I'm running no boot for the moment, what boots have others used with the Z3 shifter?

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                              There's one thing though, you can't reuse the stock E30 shift boot without modification, I'm running no boot for the moment, what boots have others used with the Z3 shifter?
                              Should work, what part of the boot is not fitting?
                              My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                              4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                                Should work, what part of the boot is not fitting?

Check out the picture, the E30 shifter has a longer necked down portion below where the shift knob rests, which is where the shift boot fitting rests. The Z3 shifter doesn't have this portion, it necks back up right below where the shift knob rests.

Comment

Working...
                                X