No announcement yet.

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used the bushing kit from pelican parts? if so would you recommend it, does it come with all the necessary parts to get the job done? Quality?

Comment

its OEM. and might as well replace everything

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

AKG

My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

So ever since ive had my car i noticed that my shifter ball dosent sit all the way down(i can pull it up) so it dosent sit in this part like it should

when i got under the car today i noticed that they never put it all the way in because the rod would hit the balancer... if this was stock than this shouldnt happen correct?
          ]

Comment

Does anyone have any reccommendations as to what to order "just in case" when installing a short shifter? Anything that normally breaks?

Comment

Another Nub question:

Would a shifter rebuilt kit for a 325e 85' work on a 87 325i? my buddy got one and i was wondering to pick it up from him since it's just sitting there.
              Originally posted by e30e
              lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

no

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Crap. alright thanks. Whats the difference btw? isn't it the same transmission, G260?
                  Originally posted by e30e
                  lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                    AKG

This is what an actual high performance shifter looks like, kiddies.

Comment

I tried to install a Z3 1.9 shifter today with all new bushings from Pelican parts.

EPIC FAIL. I only have one day a week I can work on my E30 and it has been down for two weeks now. I got stumped last week because I had to order a new rubber boot. Somehow I missed that you have to bend the selector rod for a 1.9 Z3. I was going to pull an all-nighter to get everything back together (had to do some driveshaft work too), but I don't have a vice to bend the rod. Guess I'll have to wait until next Thursday. ARGH, this is so frustrating. I don't know how you guys who did it in 30 minutes pulled that off. I spent over an hour just getting my leaky shift selector seal out.
                      JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

So is there any shifter that can bolt up without being bent? It seems that there isn't a strong consensus regarding whether the selector has to be bent or not. I just want something cheap and simple to improve the slop on my 91 318i. I'm not really concerned with the "shortest" possible throw, just something cheap and easy that bolts right in. It sounds like Cloudbase didn't have this experience and thats what I'm afraid of...
                        www.truegearhead.com
                        - bad decisions & questionable cars

Comment

Originally posted by ReallyDirtyThirty View Post
                          So is there any shifter that can bolt up without being bent? It seems that there isn't a strong consensus regarding whether the selector has to be bent or not. I just want something cheap and simple to improve the slop on my 91 318i. I'm not really concerned with the "shortest" possible throw, just something cheap and easy that bolts right in. It sounds like Cloudbase didn't have this experience and thats what I'm afraid of...
                          the slop isn't from the shift lever itself. It's from all the connecting points between the transmission and the shift lever that give it slop. Replace all the correct parts and the original shift lever will feel great.
                          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

I just picked up a DSSR. I don't know what kinda sort shifter came with my car, but it had threads on the pivot point. I'm hoping it fits lol.
                            1972 2002Tii

Comment

Very helpfull man!! i get it now. i think i know what i want for xmas! a little project lol. i cutted the shifter lever on my e30 a while ago along with the original plastic knob... it was nice for a few months but then it sucked!.. i went to the junkyard got a new shifter and replace it. i have to remove the whole shifting mechanism cause the ring that holds the shifter was a bitch to get out nd didnt have the right tool. do it right! not like i did
                              no more boosted m20, 91 318i...

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudbase View Post
                                I tried to install a Z3 1.9 shifter today with all new bushings from Pelican parts.

EPIC FAIL. I only have one day a week I can work on my E30 and it has been down for two weeks now. I got stumped last week because I had to order a new rubber boot. Somehow I missed that you have to bend the selector rod for a 1.9 Z3. I was going to pull an all-nighter to get everything back together (had to do some driveshaft work too), but I don't have a vice to bend the rod. Guess I'll have to wait until next Thursday. ARGH, this is so frustrating. I don't know how you guys who did it in 30 minutes pulled that off. I spent over an hour just getting my leaky shift selector seal out.
                                if you're talking about doing the bushings, i gave up on that. the lever install was cake...but the bushings are beyond my level of effort, and maybe ability. i felt so fuckin stupid because i had done the timing belt the week before and i couldn't figure out a couple stupid bushings.
                                1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                                1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                                1974 2002tii / stock
                                2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Working...
                                X