No announcement yet.

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should post a picture of my urh, short shifter gone rally. I used an x5 lever so at the top it's shorter but stands taller than stock. I was going toput my zhp knob back on but finishing my m52 swap, aaron (cahomey) put his trm tall shifter ontop of that for laughs but I like it and it stuck. Reverse just clears the steering wheel and rests beside it at about 4 o'clock.

Comment

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
      if you're talking about doing the bushings, i gave up on that. the lever install was cake...but the bushings are beyond my level of effort, and maybe ability. i felt so fuckin stupid because i had done the timing belt the week before and i couldn't figure out a couple stupid bushings.
      what made it hard? moving around the driveshart? bitch clip?
      Originally posted by Justin B View Post
      I should post a picture of my urh, short shifter gone rally. I used an x5 lever so at the top it's shorter but stands taller than stock. I was going toput my zhp knob back on but finishing my m52 swap, aaron (cahomey) put his trm tall shifter ontop of that for laughs but I like it and it stuck. Reverse just clears the steering wheel and rests beside it at about 4 o'clock.
      zhp for sale perhaps?
      ]

Comment

has anyone tried this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...Q5fAccessories

Comment

Do it and let us know. Its cheap if it works.

Comment

i had one of those. it was notchy and definitely reduced throw.
            My feedback:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
            @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

looking to get a short shifter myself but keep getting mix review on needing to bend selector shaft,the shaft it self or no need of bending anything just simple plug and play.

Comment

Originally posted by bataangpinoy View Post
                i had one of those. it was notchy and definitely reduced throw.
                Worth the $36?

Comment

I installed a z4 3.0 short shifter today. It required me to bend the selector rod. The reverse gear was the closest to the harmonic dampener, so I cleared it about 4-5mm. The hardest part was removing the front selector's circlip area, which didn't have a circlip. It had a metal washer instead. After I took a pic of the blind area I was working in I realised how simple it was.

The shifts are perfect. Very exact and only a little bit more effort over the stock m20 shifter. It takes a little more effort when getting on it, but I imagine it will go down over time. Anyone who thinks it is too hard is either hitting a dampener or is a nancy.
                  1986 911 Supercharged Frakenstrat/Stripped
                  1987 325is Delphin/Black (Olga)
                  1988 M3 Zinno/Natur (Elsa)

Manual or STFU

E30 Chapter of BMW Car Club of America
                  E30 Oktoberfest 2017

Comment

I am looking to upgrade to either a z3 1.9 or z4 3.0 shifter. I just purchased a nice stock leather shift knob and boot. With these or any of the short shifters work well with my stock knob and boot?

Comment

Originally posted by E30_80Y View Post

It says right there (kind of fine print) that this kit will reduce shifting times, but that the shifter itself will sit just like OEM (same height), if I understood correctly. I'd rather go with the Z3 or Z4
                      1998 528i auto on staggered DSII

Comment

Originally posted by baaaaaaa View Post
                        I am looking to upgrade to either a z3 1.9 or z4 3.0 shifter. I just purchased a nice stock leather shift knob and boot. With these or any of the short shifters work well with my stock knob and boot?

both r fine.....

1.9 is close to stock in effort and ht but is an impvt...........z4 is shorter in ht..and notchier.
                        I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Just for reference, ill put this right here. This is the height of my Z4 2.5 and iirc the same height of the Z4 3.0. BTW ZHP knob.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by Justin B View Post
                            I used an x5 lever so at the top it's shorter but stands taller than stock.

can u xplain that ?...

pls post pics!!!!..I wanna do the x5 lever.
                            I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Originally posted by JRKOUPE View Post
                              I used an x5 lever so at the top it's shorter but stands taller than stock.

can u xplain that ?...

pls post pics!!!!..I wanna do the x5 lever.
                              Copied this from my post, I also have an X5 shifter on mine.

Short clip of the shifter travel in my E30 24v.Note, this is with the Getrag 250. I'm now rocking a ZF 320 box, will make a video in the future.

Z3 on the left, X5 on the right.

It's perfect, its a tad shorter than the Z3 1.9 Lever but not even close to being as knotchy as the Z4 levers are. Its a good 1" - 1.5" taller than the Z3 lever. I also have the UUC double shear rod installed so everything is nicely weighted now. Also, I had to shave down the area where the lever slides into the uuc rod because it was slightly wider than the Z3, you should be able to see it in the pics above.
                              IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
                                Just for reference, ill put this right here. This is the height of my Z4 2.5 and iirc the same height of the Z4 3.0. BTW ZHP knob.
                                Nice. This is the setup I would like to go with. If you would, please post (or PM me) the exact components you ordered (or if you used a kit, which one?). I reviewed these kits but with all the info posted here and my own research, it's still not very clear as to what EXACTLY is needed (in today's part #'s and dollars):

- BMA kit, looks incomplete (?) and is more $$ than buying individual pieces (i.e., on Tischer).

- PP kit, besides being a lot more $$, it appears to have more than what's necessary.

- Bluntech, appears more complete but also $$$ (includes knob though).

Thanks in advance.
                                Last edited by RecycledTeen; 02-18-2011, 01:50 PM. Reason: Correction
                                Dave
                                -----
                                (OO=[][]=OO)
                                _E30 FAN_

My E30's

Comment

Working...
                                X