Taurus side skirts - modification and installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
    Almost as lame as mounting your state-issued plate over the top of your euro plate.
    ummmmm what?
    What happend to the whole differnt tastes thing?
    Another R3V thread gon by the wayside, why do you guys insist on acting like a bunch of women?
    Yours truly,
    Rich
    sigpic
    Originally posted by Rigmaster
    you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
      ummmmm what?
      What happend to the whole differnt tastes thing?
      Another R3V thread gon by the wayside, why do you guys insist on acting like a bunch of women?
      Nothing more than a statement, expressing what I thought was a lame trend. Not my taste, and I said so. I'm sure Cary wasn't too butt-hurt by it.

Comment

Here is my install.

This is another alternative skirt for the budget minded ( aka broke). These are from a Mercury Sable. Install should be the same as a Tauru's skirt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8810.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	7103192

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8812.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	7103193

Comment

Not to bad, it's different then everyone elses. What wheels are those on your car CRIS?

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Ah, those are the ones that kind of flare out on the top at each end. They kind of remind me of RD skirts.

On that same note, I've actually seen a couple of Tauruses with skirts that have a twist in the middle, very similar to the E36 M3 skirts, just not as detailed.

Comment

yup, I saw those Sable ones at the junkyard. A nice alternative.
              Slicktop City!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                All the junkyards in the country are probably catching on that all of a sudden, they're getting flooded with calls for Taurus side skirts, and raising their prices. Next thing you know, they're going to be $200 for a pair.
                I get the feeling you think this new find is bigger than it really is and I seriously doubt that the E30 scene would create that much demand for something in such abundant supply across the country.

Pricing usually depends on where you go and how money hungry the guy running the yard is that day. There's been times I was able to get the price cut in more than half by simply threatening to walk away without buying the part.

I'm still waiting for someone to find a set of SHO skirts.
                Last edited by RobertK; 07-23-2007, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                  I get the feeling you think this new find is bigger than it really is and I seriously doubt that the E30 scene would create that much demand for something in such abundant supply across the country.
                  It was a joke. Get off your elitist high horse.

Comment

Originally posted by CRIS View Post
                    Here is my install.

This is another alternative skirt for the budget minded ( aka broke). These are from a Mercury Sable. Install should be the same as a Tauru's skirt.

[ATTACH]7444[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7445[/ATTACH]
                    ===================================
                    Hey CHRIS , i saw those on a car today in a parking lot
                    any chance the dimensions on those are a little taller than the TAURUS skirts ???
                    :pimp:

Comment

Dude. These aren't going to fit a cabrio. Mercury or Ford. The cabrio rockers are like 2-3" taller than standard E30 rockers.

Comment

Saying they won't fit a cabrio is mostly true but I wouldn't call it 100%. They will fit just not as nicely as they do on a coupe.

I held some taurus skirts onto a convertible at the junk yard this past saturday and it didn't look to bad. There are two options to mount them. You can either mount them in place of the long rubber molding or you can mount them below the molding.

If you remove the long peice of molding and mount the side skirt in it's place then Josh is correct that it won't cover the rocker panel completely. You still see the jacking points under the car and that long rail that's about 1/2" tall (I don't know if it has a name). But even so, I don't think it's that noticeable unless you are down underneath the car like I was.

The other option was to keep the rubber molding in place and mount the side skirt below it. This way the side skirt covered the rocker completely and matched the contour of the rocker panel. Mounting it this way was a better "fit" but you'll still have that long piece of rubber molding above it, which might not look good.

Anyway, I don't think we'll know for sure until some one really tries to mount them and can say one way or another. If you can get the side skirts cheap then it's worth a try even if you have a cabrio.

Just for comparison, here's some shots of "is" skirts, which are also believed not to fit a cabrio.

Comment

Anything's worth a shot, right?

Comment

Originally posted by delphini View Post
                            ===================================
                            Hey CHRIS , i saw those on a car today in a parking lot
                            any chance the dimensions on those are a little taller than the TAURUS skirts ???
                            I don't have the measurement form a Tauru's skirt, but i highly doubt their is much of a difference in height.

Comment

Coming from someone who hasn't devoted their life to E30's for the last some odd years, I think the "is" skirts are not all that attractive, and the ix skirts remind me to much of those ugly tack on plastic running boards and fender flares I'm used to seeing on conversion vans and pickup trucks driving around the Barrio on my way to work in the morning. IMPO, The Mtech II's looked even more out of place without the pods and using the pods makes the side of the car look like a mid 90's Pontiac.

Which is why I didn't pick any of them when I had the chance to get them.

The only things I saw that I actually liked where the Breyton skirts and the taurus skirts. One would cost me over $900 to import from Europe and the other cost $12 and a gallon of gas, it wasn't that hard of a decision.

In the past I never liked any of the side skirts that where available for my old car (civic) so I just left the stockers on and color matched them.

I personally think the taurus skirts balance out well now that I have the Mtech II rear apron and will be getting a Mtech II front soon (both replica) They are less obtrusive than 90% of the kits out there and I don't have to slap plastic pods on to my doors and make my car look like some other mid 90's domestic of ill refute.

I'm driving something I love, I don't need validation from people who obviously have no intrest in accepting anything other than what they deem acceptible in their own little world. I would expect no less in return as I think I have demonstrated above. We are all very particular about what we drive, thats why we're here, if we weren't we'd all be driving yugos.
                              Last edited by Hon2BMW; 07-25-2007, 11:08 PM.

AWS Gorillas

-For those who help defend others against wheel-snobs and their associated douchebaggery.

Comment

I love this guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X