No announcement yet.

Taurus side skirts - modification and installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate to be the nay sayer but this is probably the worst trend ever created by R3v. From what I've seen in the picture below... *preps flamesuit*

Those side skirts look way out of place. Not only are they too boxy but they do not fit the lines of the wheel wells nor the front and rear valance at all. I know it's cool that you can make them fit and all but seriously. If you asked me to point out which of these parts does not belong I would instantly circle the side skirts with a red marker. With enough fiberglass and bondo I can make a the side skirts off a Geo metro fit but it doesn't mean I'm going to.

If anything try and see what the Taurus SHO sideskirts look like but the stock ones look like they came from a cheap ass body kit.

Comment

Ha ha ha, you think the sideskirts are "too boxy" and you drive an E30?
      '74 2002 - Build blog at
      nomads2002.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
        they do not fit the lines of the wheel wells.

I thought this also when I test fit my set. So I trimmed the rear ends of my skirts to match the wheel well curve. They look better than keeping them squared off at the end.
        1989 US E30 Cammed S52
        Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Comment

I hate to be the nay sayer but this is probably the worst trend ever created by R3v. From what I've seen in the picture below... *preps flamesuit*

Those side skirts look way out of place. Not only are they too boxy but they do not fit the lines of the wheel wells nor the front and rear valance at all. I know it's cool that you can make them fit and all but seriously. If you asked me to point out which of these parts does not belong I would instantly circle the side skirts with a red marker. With enough fiberglass and bondo I can make a the side skirts off a Geo metro fit but it doesn't mean I'm going to.

If anything try and see what the Taurus SHO sideskirts look like but the stock ones look like they came from a cheap ass body kit.
          To each his own. In my opinion, the stock iS sideskirts look like ass, with that flange hanging down on the underside, with all the notches cut out of it. It looks like tabs for something else to mount, they look awful. Not to mention the kind of flared out swooping ends at each end, talk about not matching the lines of the car. When I get mine installed with the Reiger front lip, I think you will think differently.

Comment

I was on Rt. 95 two days ago, and there was a flatbet with cars just crushed piled up on it. the top car was a ford taurus all you guys are getting your skirts from, and I remember saying to myself "that's just where they belong."

Agreed RobertK, worst r3v trend EVER.
            1989 Bronzit 325ia- Sold
            1986 Diamondschwarz Grey Market 325i Sport Mtech 1- Parted out
            1988 Delphin 327i- Sold
            1995 Cosmos M3- Current

Comment

If the Tauras side skirts are off of cars years 92-95, does it matter if it is a 2 door, 4 door or wagon? I'm going to grab some menana. My small meaning less opinion....The iS side skirts are a bit too flashy with the end curves. I might try what "ACHTUNG" said and trim them to the wheel arch curve. For 30 bucks, I think they look better then the iS skirt.
              DLM
              Last edited by dlmrun2002; 07-30-2007, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                To each his own. In my opinion, the stock iS sideskirts look like ass, with that flange hanging down on the underside, with all the notches cut out of it. It looks like tabs for something else to mount, they look awful. Not to mention the kind of flared out swooping ends at each end, talk about not matching the lines of the car. When I get mine installed with the Reiger front lip, I think you will think differently.
                I must admit never really liked the stock iS skirts either.

Comment

Well, one thing I won't do is tell you guys you aren't entitled to your own opinions. We all have different tastes!

Comment

Hartge sideskirts ftw, but they're hard as hell to find. These are the next best option for non-mtech cars IMO.

91 318is

Comment

Originally posted by T3rd Ferguson View Post
                      Agreed RobertK, worst r3v trend EVER.
                      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Almost as lame as mounting your state-issued plate over the top of your euro plate.

Comment

yeah, mariano's and my e30 look soo lame in my sig pic...im self pwned. lol
                          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

much like the bumper thread..

i anticipate pics of completed mission
                            -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post
                              much like the bumper thread..

i anticipate pics of completed mission
                              You and me both, but like I said before, I've got ZERO money to spend on fun stuff for the car, and I still have to primer and paint them. But I'll do what I can!

Maybe I'll put on some gloves and a Haz-Mat suit, and go return the year's worth of cans I have in my shed...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                                To get a straight cut, line the length of the skirt up with a straight edge, and cut a shallow line as straight as possible for your cut.
                                Since I made the cut about 1/8th in. long, I didn't worry about getting it perfectly straight, I can sand it later.

Not only are they too boxy but they do not fit the lines of the wheel wells
                                I noticed that if the line is cut straight then it doesn't "flow" as well with the rear wheel well arch. I trimmed mine a little different.

I measured the TOP of the rocker panel from the rear wheel well to the gap where the door meets the front fender. Then I measured the BOTTOM of the rocker panel from the wheel well to the same gap. There was about a 5/8" difference (give or take).

Then I measured the entire length of the rocker panel (along the top) and marked the top of the sideskirt accordingly. Then I marked the bottom ~5/8" closer to the front of the sideskirt (or 5/8" farther from the rear. Whichever way you wanna look at it.)...connected the dots and cut.

It seems to line up a little better IMO, although it makes it a little harder to get the endcap to fit snug.

Comment

Working...
                                X