No announcement yet.

How to replicate HELLA's smoked ellipsoid technique:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crap. Anyone got a high beam lense from a set of Euro Hellas? Just broke mine :(
    Originally posted by LJ851
    kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
    #teamross
    Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

get a lens from a 5 or 7 series at the junkyard
      AWD > RWD

Comment

i got one i can ship if its hard to find the part.

anyone have trouble breaking the plastic housing whne levering the thing out? my glue wouldnt seperate at 350 degrees F too easily
        RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
        89' 318i

Comment

Anyone in socal want to help me out and take apart the lenses for me? I can pay a reasonable fee lol, I'm just way too worried that I'll break the lenses. I tried using a heat gun and I'm melting the surrounding plastic the lens is embedded in, but the lens is still pretty much stuck in there.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyflaredd View Post
            Anyone in socal want to help me out and take apart the lenses for me? I can pay a reasonable fee lol, I'm just way too worried that I'll break the lenses. I tried using a heat gun and I'm melting the surrounding plastic the lens is embedded in, but the lens is still pretty much stuck in there.
            who said to use a heat gun? its an oven or nothing. i've taken apart maybe 7 or so sets of headlight lenses, and sometimes you are going to break them. you just have to be patient. if they dont loosen the first bake, turn the heat up a little and let them sit for longer. some of the sets had so much sealant they wouldnt budge. some, the glass was already falling off.

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
              who said to use a heat gun? its an oven or nothing. i've taken apart maybe 7 or so sets of headlight lenses, and sometimes you are going to break them. you just have to be patient. if they dont loosen the first bake, turn the heat up a little and let them sit for longer. some of the sets had so much sealant they wouldnt budge. some, the glass was already falling off.
              Alright thanks. I've read a bunch of DIY's and some prefer the heat gun method, not sure why.

I'm going to see if I can get them off after putting it in an oven. If not, then screw it I guess. I'd rather not break my lenses.

Comment

I want to do this but my US ellips have a broken adjuster and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get the part numbers for the headlight assembly.

Also I was looking at Compressions crosshair FS thread and looks like he is out of the selling business and wondering how big of a demand there is to get these crosshair templates on the market again?
                SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
                IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

why not boil them? suspend them in water and boil. thats what i did. wet heat less chance of breaking glass
                  Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                  http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

good work op! i can apprecaite this...
                    sigpic
                    E30love

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
                      why not boil them? suspend them in water and boil. thats what i did. wet heat less chance of breaking glass
                      if any of that boiling water gets into the headlight, it peels the reflective coating off.

Comment

We have separation. Just pulled my BOSCH e34 lights apart to do work. Metal highs.

Worked up from 180-250 over 30 minutes to avoid any shock then 15 at high temp. First one was super sticky, and I left the other one in while I did the first. 5 min longer, and it practically fell off once I got under its edge.
                        Last edited by Van Westervelt; 07-19-2012, 01:08 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Is there anyone who has any laser cut or water jet cut inserts for the high beams?
                          Project 325is

Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by benyen soljax View Post
                            Is there anyone who has any laser cut or water jet cut inserts for the high beams?

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=292326

Comment

does anyone have the template still? the one in the link is down.

i found this one:
                              Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

but i dont know what resolution to print onto 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

edit:

So im assuming the actual image itself is what needs to be printed. i opened up microsoft word and set the margins to 0. then i proceeded to expand the image until it fit the document. it actually ended up being pretty close to 8.5x11in in resolution.

anyone have input or alternative file i can download?

Comment

I know ECS tuning sells some headlights for around $200 that are smoked and come with the crosshairs. dont know the quality or how well they work tho..

Comment

Working...
                                X