No announcement yet.

How to replicate HELLA's smoked ellipsoid technique:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who sells those? if the price is reasonable I'd give it a shot.

Comment

no affiliation
      Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
      http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Alright... now, does anyone know how many of the "63 12 1 378 369" part numbers I need if I am just doing my low beam? Thanks in advance! I really like this mod. And does anyone know if painting the housing black affects light output? Thanks.
        I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
        2875-C Towerview Road
        Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

it doesn't affect light output because the light comes out of the unpainted ellipsoid part of the lens on the lowbeam. and the highbeam is unaffected because of the use of the crosshairs instead of spraying the reflectors, which would help with giving you crappy light output.
          sigpic

Comment

Hmmm, so as I was taking apart my lens, I saw that my low beam lens was cracked. Should I replace it with A.) a plastic lens B.) a glass lens or C.) just put it all back together after it's been painted?

I'm not sure what I want to do with it, I don't want it to crack more, but I'm going to be using the car all for drift.

Edit: Does anyone know if the E34 lens will fit the E30? I forgot I had extra headlights with a bad housing in my trunk of my 5-series.
            Last edited by evil_twin; 02-04-2008, 08:39 PM. Reason: See post.
            I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Delta Auto Care
            2875-C Towerview Road
            Herndon, VA

Comment

replace it the glass lens. and the 5 series lens might fit it.

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Alright well just for future reference. The E34 5series lense does work :) I finished my lowbeam project today, and I'm letting the calking cure for now. I don't think I am going to do the highbeams just because I know I will intime ruin my front, lol. So yah. I will post some pictures up tomorrow.

Thanks for everyones help.

Delta Auto Care
                2875-C Towerview Road
                Herndon, VA

Comment

What sort of sealant would you use when putting the lens back on?
                  I'm going to do mine tonight
                  Thanks
                  344is! Obd1 conversion

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone have pics with Hella Smilies smoked this way?

Comment

I think most sealants will as the rings hold the lenses in place and wind resistant presses the lenses. Just use some glue that doesnt gets damaged in the heat from the light.

Anyway I have a question my self:
                      Where can I get the crappy thing that holds the light to the frame thingie?
                      Screws with some plastic thing on it.
                      Axel
                      BMW 320i Touring (M20B25)

Comment

Originally posted by maxel View Post
                        I think most sealants will as the rings hold the lenses in place and wind resistant presses the lenses. Just use some glue that doesnt gets damaged in the heat from the light.

Anyway I have a question my self:
                        Where can I get the crappy thing that holds the light to the frame thingie?
                        Screws with some plastic thing on it.
                        order new ones from the stealer...
                        '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
                        '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
                        '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
                        iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
                        sigpic

Comment

The sealer I am using is silicone calking from the hardware store. My friend used it on his subaru headlights, and they work for it

Delta Auto Care
                          2875-C Towerview Road
                          Herndon, VA

Comment

when setting your crosshairs for the high beams, use the vertical indentations on the glass as your reference. DONT eyeball them or you'll end up with crooked ass crosshairs that will look like ass when mounted on your car.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by dillsnick View Post
                              Does anyone have pics with Hella Smilies smoked this way?

notice for the crosshairs to appear straight, you have to align them to the vertical lines on the lens.

I did not know this so I had to "adjust them" after I put the lens on. so you see the horizontal crosshair is not quite perpendicular.

so they should be set at approximately this position. Then double/ triple check with the lens on.
                              Last edited by ///M42 sport; 02-16-2008, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Is everybody using a clear silicone, or black? I picked up some clear aquarium silicone, but I'm thinking now that perhaps a black silicone would dissipate through the edges of the lense making for a darker look.

Only reason I didn't get the black RTV adhesive sealant silicone at the autoparts store is because it states on the package that it's resistant to temperatures of 500 deg. So if I ever need to take the lense off again It will be much more difficult.
                                Jason,

1988 E30 M3, 1999 Ducati 996, 1971 International Scout II

Comment

Working...
                                X