No announcement yet.

How to replicate HELLA's smoked ellipsoid technique:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darin maybe its cause you have a convection oven?

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
      OK so i just attempted this too. Baked all lenses as per Jordans instructions at 350F. The plastic adjusters melted, and fell on to the oven element making a terrible smell. I lost about half of them. Then I tried to pry off the lenses, and one shattered in to pieces. THe others will not come off, they are on there fucking tight as nails. I just don't get it, WTF am I doing wrong? I'm ready to just buy them pre-smoked.

You have to be patient when you do it. And be very careful. How long did you have it in the oven for? I put my lights in there at 250º for about 5-10minutes at tops. I used a small screwdriver to get in between the lens and the housing. It took me a while to get it off. The sealer they used is VERY strong and will not pull apart easily.
      I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
      2875-C Towerview Road
      Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

Originally posted by evil_twin View Post
        You have to be patient when you do it. And be very careful. How long did you have it in the oven for? I put my lights in there at 250º for about 5-10minutes at tops. I used a small screwdriver to get in between the lens and the housing. It took me a while to get it off. The sealer they used is VERY strong and will not pull apart easily.
        Well, I had them in there for about 10 min at 350. I used several different sizes of flat blade screwdrivers to try and pry the lenses apart, but no go. The only way I could get the lens to seperate was to use a LOT of force, and that shattered the lens.

Comment

hey guys, where did you get your SEM trim black #39143 paint? my Lowe's and kragen didn't have it..

Comment

Originally posted by DLag View Post
            hey guys, where did you get your SEM trim black #39143 paint? my Lowe's and kragen didn't have it..
            Local automotive paint shop.

1992 BMW 325iC
            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

I honestly found it easier to boil the lens assembly. I put it in the water, and turned the heat on. I let them sit until they boiled, then for about 5 more minutes. Try prying up a little bit, then put them back in the water for like 5-10 more minutes. Very time consuming, but I didn't break a single lense. I also used the 'X' patern, I found it easy to line up to make the slots in the plastic backing. Uou can also use a razor knife to cut the adhesive, that works in tight spots.

PS, try using differnt color adhesives, I used red and it came out looking like my car was stoned, but awesome at the same time.

Sam

Comment

okay. so i have US ellipsoids on mine. my driver side low beam lens were cracked in half, but it was still held by its original glue. so i was on the market for some lenses but because i now have HIDs, i wanted to use HELLA Glass lenses and not plastic. i thought, hmm 73 bucks for a brand new OEM glass lens..?? too much for my blood, and plus it wouldn't match the pitted lens on the other side. haha!

so with this DIY in mind, i drove to the junkyard. =)
                i massacred three e34's to find the best ellipsoid lenses.
                [all the e30's in there had sealed beams.. FTL]
                i was told that the whole headlight assembly [one bucket/lens/projector] was kinda pricey so i had to somehow just get the lenses. with a few try's some came loose easily being under the sun for so long.. and some i had to gently pry out. but i successfully got a pair of low beam lenses, a pair of High beam lenses.. and for my just-in-case set, a pair of the chrome plated rings [the part around the projector that is to be painted black.] they're a little pitted but decent condition. $20 bucks for the six items! whoo hoo!

now that i have all lenses.. i didn't have to be so careful about breaking the ones i have! so i started with the low beams, held the whole assembly with the lenses facing down [so the glass pieces fall downwards and not into the projector] and with little pressure, hit them with a hammer! [make sure it's offset from the center to avoid scratching the projector.] now with only little glued pieces left, i used my heat gun. softened the glue and pried out all the remaining. i then cleaned it up for the new silicone, placed the painted rings and finally the lens! did both low beams pretty quick actually.. then i noticed i had the breather tube on my high beams!? good thing i held back before breaking their lenses. so i stopped there.

i'm worried about the crosshairs not aligning straight with the tube there sticking out. should i just try to find some used euro high beams and sit them in my US assembly? do they differ?

ps. whoever has some crosshairs they want to sell to me, just PM =)

best modification to any car is a clean car.
                -jeff

Comment

not having done the glass-lense lights, I've done many plastic lense/plastic housing lights (Like Subaru WRX)..
                  I heat those up at 250*F. I preheat the oven, then put the HL assy. in on a cookie sheet, for 15-18mins. I take them out, put it on the bench, and with a couple of flat-tip screwdrivers, I slowly work the lenses off.. That seems to work well for those types of housings, anyway. I'll try my E30 ones, soon.
                  ~Rogan
                  '85 325e w/M42 swap
                  '02 WRX 2.5L Hybrid w/GT32 @ 20psi - 400+awhp :: SOLD
                  http://www.autismspeaks.org ||| http://www.essentialpieces.org
                  sigpic

Strategic Alpine Command
                  Diving Board Division

Comment

Here's my DIY smoked smileys. ;)

Comment

Anybody have or can get some more made?? I know that there are more people interested to do another group buy on these.

Also for all of you that have broken yours and need another set I have access to plenty of Euro smileys. Just hit me up.
                      Originally posted by Nicademus
                      My car beats off to that car. :bow:

Comment

Originally posted by kingb View Post
                        anybody have or can get some more made?? I know that there are more people interested to do another group buy on these.
                        bump
                        1991 318is ---230K - DD
                        1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                        so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by BigSam View Post
                          I honestly found it easier to boil the lens assembly. I put it in the water, and turned the heat on. I let them sit until they boiled, then for about 5 more minutes. Try prying up a little bit, then put them back in the water for like 5-10 more minutes. Very time consuming, but I didn't break a single lense. I also used the 'X' patern, I found it easy to line up to make the slots in the plastic backing. Uou can also use a razor knife to cut the adhesive, that works in tight spots.

PS, try using differnt color adhesives, I used red and it came out looking like my car was stoned, but awesome at the same time.

Sam
                          Same here, boiled water was the safest route for me. I tried the oven method also, but only b/c my highbeams were all metal.
                          Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                          http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingb View Post
                            Anybody have or can get some more made?? I know that there are more people interested to do another group buy on these.

Also for all of you that have broken yours and need another set I have access to plenty of Euro smileys. Just hit me up.
                            yes we are working on running a few sets off over on bf.c in the e34 forum.
                            right now we have about 20 members signed up for them.

Comment

Originally posted by attackeagle View Post
                              yes we are working on running a few sets off over on bf.c in the e34 forum.
                              right now we have about 20 members signed up for them.
                              Thanks for the heads up, I put my name on the list as well.

Comment

So, I baked my low beams and got the lenses of but this plastic piece melted to shit on one of them. Any idea what it's for and if I need to replace it?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X