No announcement yet.

Replacing the E30 Heater Core and Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any way to test a heater core to see if it is still good? The heater core in my car is starting to leak and the PO gave me a complete heater/ac box, I want to know if the replacement one is good still before putting in my car. Or should I just buy a new one?

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

I was told that there are two different kindss heater core. A/C or non-A/C. This with A/C? And also to replace the hear valve. Perfect time since I might have a pinhole leak in my core.:up:
      sigpic

"....for the land of the free, and the home of the brave."

Lawrence
      '89 ///M Technic II Coupe...Gone but not forgotten
      '90 M3...Garage Queen
      '91 325i Cabrio.....Son
      '92 525i...My DD
      '03 530i....S.O.'s DD...my headache
      '06 530i....Gone
      '92 Previa...My previous DD and spare
      '03 Highlander...Daughter & grandkids hauler
      BMW CCA San Diego Chapter

Comment

bump for a question

I need to replace the blower motor in my buddies E30 Cab

Is it fairly easy to get to, or do I have to remove the whole dash?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke! View Post
          I need to replace the blower motor in my buddies E30 Cab

Is it fairly easy to get to, or do I have to remove the whole dash?
          The blower motor is accessed through the engine compartment. There is a hatch on the firewall, above the rear of the engine. It's easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post
            The blower motor is accessed through the engine compartment. There is a hatch on the firewall, above the rear of the engine. It's easy.
            fewwwww

thanks bro

thank god for that!

I did the same in my sisters Toyota, had to take apart half the car

Comment

OK R3v, here's what I'm up against. Not sure if this was just a self explanatory thing, but I have an extra obstacle in my way:

The hell is this thing? It looks like there are three bolts holding it in, two along the transmission tunnel, and one under the steering wheel trim pieces:

Can I take this out? Or will it end up being the backbone of my E30 and everything will fall off my car?
              <---Goodnight, sweet prince

Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.

Originally posted by Brandon12V
              unlikely. too many e46 guys craving Big Fucking Cock

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                You can remove the heater core/valve and just connect the two hoses near the firewall together to by-pass the whole thing for the time being.
                iirc, it's better to just plug the hoses rather than loop them, as it can cause the car to run hot.

another pointer, i'm surprised nobody else has thought of this or mentioned it: you can "prime" the heater core by filling it through the pipes that come out of the firewall before you reattach the hoses, i did and it made bleeding the cooling system a 5-minute job. much easier than trying to coax all the air in the core out through the bleeder screw @ the t-stat.
                Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

wtf?? never seen that before

Originally posted by CreamE30 View Post
                  OK R3v, here's what I'm up against. Not sure if this was just a self explanatory thing, but I have an extra obstacle in my way:

The hell is this thing? It looks like there are three bolts holding it in, two along the transmission tunnel, and one under the steering wheel trim pieces:

Can I take this out? Or will it end up being the backbone of my E30 and everything will fall off my car?

Patrick - IG:niicknac
                  RIP 1987 BMW 325is - S50'd ZF 6-speed, flared, bagged

Comment

Originally posted by quikveedb2 View Post
                    iirc, it's better to just plug the hoses rather than loop them, as it can cause the car to run hot.
                    I don't think so. Think of it this way, people turn the heater ON and fan on MAX when bleeding the cooling system and/or if the car runs hot... not the other way around. By plugging the hoses you are limiting the coolant flow
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

i saw this at the yard...on 2 cars...they were on late model cars...and for this reason i couldnt get a heater core! but the ones i saw at the yard were welded...atleast yours are held by bolts...

Originally posted by CreamE30 View Post

Comment

+1 on this thread. very helpful

Comment

My driver's foot well has been damp with coolant for a while now, and is greasy windshield a symptom of failed heater core? becasue i've been having that issue as well.

I have a 91 318is and i was wondering if my car has the metal pipes that this DIY is meant for, also, does anyone have a part # list for this replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by T La View Post
                            My driver's foot well has been damp with coolant for a while now, and is greasy windshield a symptom of failed heater core? becasue i've been having that issue as well.
                            them be the symptoms, replace it asap! as far as i know most us cars have the metal inlet pipes.
                            Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                            You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

what are the part no.s for the pipes going into them though?

Comment

any word on removing that strange metal piece? I have the same problem....

Comment

Working...
                                X