No announcement yet.

e36/7 antenna how-to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to bump an old thread but is there a grommet option for a more slanted looking antenna? Or even perhaps something like this? http://www.locustom.com/shark2_kit.htm

I remember some one on this forum doing so but can't remember who.

Comment

Originally posted by Dozyproductions View Post
      Not to bump an old thread but is there a grommet option for a more slanted looking antenna? Or even perhaps something like this? http://www.locustom.com/shark2_kit.htm

I remember some one on this forum doing so but can't remember who.

i think that was with a s2000 antenna
      not positive

-
      Project
      Parts for Sale
      Feedback
      YouTube Channel

Comment

yeah but same general idea. Would be neat to find a grommet that angled the antenna slightly more back because a nub going straight up aint cool.

Comment

Anyone know of a good place to pick up a conv or ti antenna base?

I checked ebay and they're $100+. I've posted on bf.c and 318ti.org with no response.

Comment

Junkyard is your best bet man.
            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Finally got around to doing this on my wife's car but when installed, the antenna leans way too far to the left (looking from the rear) rather than straight up. I used the same grommet 65218362369 and installed the same as shown in the pic, so wondering if anyone else had the same issue?

Comment

same issue here. I had to position the antenna base and zip tie it to hold it at a straight angle. minor eye sore but still satisfied

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
                  same issue here. I had to position the antenna base and zip tie it to hold it at a straight angle. minor eye sore but still satisfied

Yeah, I had the same issue and a zip solved my problem as well.

If you've got one of the inch or so stubby antennas, you won't notice the left lean.

Comment

I don't know how you guys used zip ties to solve the left lean ugliness cause the base has to be pulled to the left to make it tilt more inward, but anyway here's my easy solution to the problem.

You'll need the OEM bracket that secured the antenna base on the 318ti. I'm not sure if the Z3 one is the same, so check real.oem.

Remove the lower mounting screw on the amp bracket and then remove the clip nut from behind. Using the OEM bracket, position it like so. The bracket will just push onto the bottom of the base and hold it--don't worry about bolting it on. I also used a piece of foam to wedge in between the base and the body bracket for extra cushioning. Then take the long bolt that originally held the antenna base to the bracket and push it through the hole and screw the nut on part way. Then screw the end of the bolt into the nut on the bracket arm just a few threads to get the antenna angle how you want it. Now tighten the nut down all the way to secure the whole thing. I even adjusted the base in the bracket to give a it just little backward rake too, but that picture wouldn't load for some reason.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pics 132.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	7131880

Should be straight with the world when you're done. This is one of those easy little mods that end up making a big difference. Plus, it's gonna make your car lighter!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pics 133.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	7131881

Comment

I love this write up and pics! It has inspired me to do this myself! But is there another shorter antenna that can be used? I was looking at this one...

out dated sig is out dated

Comment

Well... it is a z3 antenna base, and the one you linked to is for a z3. I'd say that it will work. I've actually had three different styles of stubby antennas -- I bought one and a guy from e30tech liked the write up so he wanted to send me an extra antenna he bought as a thank you.

I've found that reception is much better with the large, factory antenna but it doesn't look nearly as good. AM reception is non-existent with a stubby antenna, and I listen to sports radio a lot so I usually have the long one on.

Comment

A tip for any of you guys having issues installing the base into the grommet. I just got a long machine screw of the same size thread, and sprayed a little white lithium grease at the tip of the base then just pull it up through the grommit instead of pushing it up from the bottom.

Comment

If I wanted to just have a short antenna and not have it hooked up to anything how could I do that? I just don’t like the blank/plug there . Probably use the grommet but what would I use for the base . Thanks in advance

Comment

Working...
                            X