OIL PAN Gasket Replacement Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by backtrail69 View Post
    FYI: If you use an engine support bar or engine hoist to lift the engine up a couple inches after removing the engine mount nuts and fan shroud you don't need to remove the oil pump. I have done this 2-3 times on multiple cars and it is MUCH easier than the oil pump removal method if you have something to lift the engine.
    Originally posted by noid View Post
    What about just jacking it up from below?
    +2 ^^^^

Could you please elaborate? Is hoisting from above different to jacking from underneath via the a/c bracket?
    sigpic
    1988 Lachssilber E30 325i sedan.
    Factory fit-out: manual; SILBER LEDER; M SPORT SUSPENSION.
    Modifications so far: Miller MAF + 19# ECU; Ford 19# Design 3 injectors; IE adjustable FPR; KAMotors CF airbox; IM MTX-L; EBC Greenstuff.

Retired - '83 Arctic Blue E28 528i powered by M30B32

Comment

how do support bars not fuck up the fenders..? lol

I put a tranny jack under the ac bracket, dropping the pump is really easy when you have more room to do it

Comment

I jacked up the engine from the bellhousing and had enough room to remove the oil pan without removing the oil pump or anything else.
        Originally posted by Sonny
        I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Is there any point to dropping the oil pump if it isn't needed to remove the pan eg are there components that are on a replacement schedule or recommended to clean or replace?
          sigpic
          1988 Lachssilber E30 325i sedan.
          Factory fit-out: manual; SILBER LEDER; M SPORT SUSPENSION.
          Modifications so far: Miller MAF + 19# ECU; Ford 19# Design 3 injectors; IE adjustable FPR; KAMotors CF airbox; IM MTX-L; EBC Greenstuff.

Retired - '83 Arctic Blue E28 528i powered by M30B32

Comment

wow, really? for the life of me I couldn't make that happen today. I was hoping to be able to raise the engine high enough and not having to remove the pump. but I still ended up removing it.

Leo
            Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
            I jacked up the engine from the bellhousing and had enough room to remove the oil pan without removing the oil pump or anything else.

Comment

What about start up? I shattered my oil pan from hitting a rock at 60. I wanna make sure I don't damnage any internals when trying to start it. Tips? Tricks?

01 Honda S2000 (weekend car)
              89 325I (daily)
              09 Honda Ruckus streched&fatty (summer daily)

Comment

Originally posted by R3V9K View Post
                What about start up? I shattered my oil pan from hitting a rock at 60. I wanna make sure I don't damnage any internals when trying to start it. Tips? Tricks?
                as long as you've filled it up with the proper amount you should be fine. There's still oil all up inside your motor unless you took a year to change your oil pan :)

you might want to double check your fluid level after you're all done and ran it for a bit
                Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

I was just defeated by the upper most torx bolt on the drivers side. It just won't budge and I was afraid I would have stripped it if I kept at it. I had to button up everything else all because of that one last fucking bolt! Arggg! :hitler:

Its semi deep into the transmission tunnel... how are you guys getting at it?

Thanks
                  -Nick
                  Originally posted by 87e30
                  First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

The upper most torx bolt :|
                    -Nick

Comment

wow.

Never mind. I realized that bolt isn't part of the bell housing shield. :(

Dumb.
                      -Nick

Comment

hi there
                        this is very good site
                        you can find all stuffs here
                        .................................................. ..................

please click below:

Top Ten Classified Website

Comment

Just another FYI on this tough job with pics..

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

I have driven this for 1500 miles now and no leaks.. I would recommend the gasket maker over the gasket..

Comment

I used the paper MTC oil pan gasket and put Hi-Temp RTV (Red) on both sides coating it, been a couple weeks now and hasn't leaked. I only use hi-temp on my car for all gaskets because it has a bigger operating window than the rest. Bigger the temp range, the more likely it will work.
                            "I wanna see da boat movie"
                            "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Gasket help

Originally posted by bowtie2bimmer View Post
                              Doing this as we speak. Car is on stands. Advice for getting the gasket in? i have the oil pan up and the pump bolted in. Just have to find the best way to get the gasket to line up...
                              What I did was use small lengths of thread in every second hole on the pan to hold the gasket on while I was installing it and then after putting the bolts in the alternative holes pulled the thread out.

Comment

Originally posted by mikelat View Post
                                What I did was use small lengths of thread in every second hole on the pan to hold the gasket on while I was installing it and then after putting the bolts in the alternative holes pulled the thread out.
                                dude you responded to a year and more old post. I would hope he has his oil pan back on by now
                                "I wanna see da boat movie"
                                "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Working...
                                X