Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Speed Swap Wiring - Plug & play w/ cruise control !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScottSneed
    replied
    Originally posted by vtechnik View Post
    For the life of me i cant find the blue with red stripe wire. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    I was in the same boat, these pictures didn't help lol

Here's a helpful video

How to properly bypass the neutral safety switch wiring when 5 speed swapping your LHD auto e30.

I saved it just in case the uploader might delete.
    Last edited by ScottSneed; 10-29-2018, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vtechnik
    replied
    For the life of me i cant find the blue with red stripe wire. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Leave a comment:

• Mike36
    replied
    Bump for this! Just did it on my 5 speed swap and everything functions accordingly. I was having a bit of a problem at first but it was because my brake pedal and clutch switch bracket needed to be adjusted. Now I just need to figure out my hanging revs.

Originally posted by karzrtoyz View Post
    After reading this and following up with my friend Derek, it took 5 mins to get the car started!!!! No Cutting, just plug and play. Just like the original post- your are going to disconnect the added auto harness- I left the 2 ground wire connected.. figured they werent gonna do anything.

*** USE THE OPs PICS for REFERENCE to find the harness and location***

Description:

The Auto Harness has 5 wires on it- 2 Brown, 1 Black with yellow stripe-connected to another black wire with yellow stripe via connector, 1 black( connected to ignition switch, 1 green with black stripe( this one may vary- older models might have 2)-connected to blue wire with brown stripe.

1st UNDO the AUTO HARNESS:

1) Unplug Blue wire with brown stripe connected to Green wire with black stripe.

2) UNplug black wire with YELLOW stripe connected to black wire with YELLOW stripe

3) Unplug black wire from ignition switch.

Now time time to make it all WORK:

1) Plug in black wire with YELLOW stripe into ignition switch where u pulled the black wire.

2) Unplug the harness that is plugged into the reverse plug-( This is located by the hole where the shifter comes thru)- then plug in your reverse plug from the trans into the plug that you just disconnected,.

3) Plug in the White Plug and is deleted to itself to the clutch switch on the pedal ( The White plug is the one that is deleted to its self with blue wire with red stripe)

YOU are now DONE!! Start your car!!

Everything works on my 91 vert, back up lights and cruise control good to go!!

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Just in case photobucket goes down again, I saved the photos and rehosted them on flickr. Enjoy

Originally posted by dr.strangebuttlove View Post
    this requires no splicing, and no this and that. you remove the harness, the black yellow that connects to the harness goes into the connector i'll display, and the two switch connectors get hooked up. very simple as far as i can see.

and here are some pictures.

5sp swap wiring1 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    under the instrument cluster (usually under the OBC module box)

5sp swap wiring2 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    blue violet to the green black.

5sp swap wiring3 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    the other clutch switch wired in. probably the neutral switch.

5sp swap wiring4 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    these brown wires go to ground.

5sp swap wiring6 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    one of your clutch sensors capped off.

5sp swap wiring 7 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    black yellow to black yellow

5sp swap wiring 8 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    under the instrument cluster, just to the left of the steering column.

5sp swap wiring 9 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    by the trans, bottom right is the manual hookup

as for that black green wire that goes up by the ecu, its to the left of it. you will see it. it connects to the blue red.

in all reality you can more than likely hook up your clutch switches any way you like, but i remember the location of the switches put them in their spots.

any questions, i'd be happy to answer.

Leave a comment:

• ScottSneed
    replied
    Originally posted by dr.strangelove View Post
    this requires no splicing, and no this and that. you remove the harness, the black yellow that connects to the harness goes into the connector i'll display, and the two switch connectors get hooked up. very simple as far as i can see.

and here are some pictures.

under the instrument cluster (usually under the OBC module box)

blue violet to the green black.

the other clutch switch wired in. probably the neutral switch.

these brown wires go to ground.

one of your clutch sensors capped off.

black yellow to black yellow

under the instrument cluster, just to the left of the steering column.

by the trans, bottom right is the manual hookup

as for that black green wire that goes up by the ecu, its to the left of it. you will see it. it connects to the blue red.

in all reality you can more than likely hook up your clutch switches any way you like, but i remember the location of the switches put them in their spots.

any questions, i'd be happy to answer.
    can anyone reupload or take pictures of said procedure? TIA

Leave a comment:

• TAC
    replied
    Originally posted by e30sh View Post
    Sounds like they left the auto harness in it and just used jumpers.

Does your car have cruise?
    Nope, no cruise or reverse lights. I have some pictures of it on this thread:

Last edited by TAC; 11-30-2017, 11:10 AM. Reason: Accidentally said brake lights when I meant reverse lights.

Leave a comment:

• e30sh
    replied
    Originally posted by TAC View Post
    I've got a whole mess of wires taped up in my center console
    Sounds like they left the auto harness in it and just used jumpers.

Does your car have cruise?

Leave a comment:

• TAC
    replied
    Originally posted by e30sh View Post
    On top of the steering column. Black / Yellow is lower left. I copied the factory and removed all the automatic harness vs. other methods people have come up with in this thread.

Thanks, though I still don't think I quite get the whole picture of what to do. I also think the previous owners of my car messed up a lot of the wiring whenever the 5-speed swap was done. I've got a whole mess of wires taped up in my center console

Leave a comment:

• e30sh
    replied
    On top of the steering column. Black / Yellow is lower left. I copied the factory and removed all the automatic harness vs. other methods people have come up with in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• TAC
    replied
    Originally posted by the_anch View Post
    Anyone have the pictures from the OP? I’m almost done with my 5-speed swap and just need to complete the wiring! I can’t seem to find the black / yellow or the black / black as specified.
    ^^^This. I might be able to figure it out based solely on description, but pictures woulds definitely give some extra confidence. Gotta love photobucket...

Leave a comment:

• the_anch
    replied
    Pictures?

Anyone have the pictures from the OP? I’m almost done with my 5-speed swap and just need to complete the wiring! I can’t seem to find the black / yellow or the black / black as specified.

Leave a comment:

• N2MYE30
    replied
    Well, I thought this was the thread of the year but now I have two new problems. I have no reverse lights nor brake lights. My 91 cabrio runs great and cruise works so I must have unplugged one too many wires.

The way I see it its that I have 2 different problems.

Ideas?

edit: Well, I must have forgot to attach the connector for the brake pedal and the it appears that the reverse switch in the tranny is dead. Back to thread of the year.
    Last edited by N2MYE30; 05-11-2016, 06:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• steve68
    replied
    did it over the phone with my friend, he's working on the car for my daughter, fired right up !!!

great info!!

Leave a comment:

• db.
    replied
    For anyone reading this that's working on a RHD car do the following:

1. Drop the glovebox, remove the plastic trim from under the dash.
    2. Locate the 1x BLACK and the 3x BLACK+YELLOW wires.
    3. Disconnect the BLACK and BLACK/YELLOW from each other.
    4. Disconnect the remaining BLACK/YELLOW from each other.
    5. Reconnect the BLACK/YELLOW (that was connected to the BLACK) to the BLACK/YELLOW that runs out to the drivers side of the car.

That'll remove the Park/Neutral inhibitor.

Hook up the reverse light switch as per all previous posts here.

Quick question for the Guru's:
    I've removed my Auto and replaced the motor gearbox with an M52/ZF.
    Can I use the reverse light wiring that are a part of the M52 engine loom or do i just run a new gearbox->centre console wire and plug it in where required?

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• lti_57
    replied
    This is Great PO somewhere down the line did a 5spd swap in my car
    Did this mod this morning took less then an hour as i pulled out some crap and taped up some stuff
    IT WORKS. So nice to cruise into work this morning.
    Thanks to everyone who documents and takes pics of this,

Leave a comment:

Working...
X