How Differential and Limited Slip Differentials (LSD) Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Differential and Limited Slip Differentials (LSD) Work

Car wheels spin at different speeds, especially when they're turning. So how does the differential help make them turn with such ease?

Anyone in the know please feel free to add thoughts about diff upgrades specific to our E30s
    BEERTECH

Re: How Differential and Limited Slip Differentials (LSD) Wo

Originally posted by Rob
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

Anyone in the know please feel free to add thoughts about diff upgrades specific to our E30s
    I'd like to point out that this is a very explanatory, very well-written page that everyone should read.
    My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Great explanation of all the different type of differentials!
      (OO=[][]=OO) 1990 325i

Comment

Check out this video from Chevy, too; it's awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Jhr...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally posted by blalor View Post
          Check out this video from Chevy, too; it's awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Jhr...ature=youtu.be
          fucking rad video, but the ADD motherfuckers on here will never get to the real story

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Its all about controlling those spider gears. LSD spider gears are most stout than open.
            Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Very helpful! Thank you, now I know why when I have only one back wheel on ice I can't go anywhere.

Comment

Yoshi made some great posts about our diffs on Bimmer forums.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
                :borg:

Comment

Originally posted by !kid View Post
                  Yoshi made some great posts about our diffs on Bimmer forums.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1602813
                  Cool!

Comment

Which type of LSDs do E30s have? Are they clutch or viscous?
                    ^M52B28^

Comment

Originally posted by I*Do*Werke View Post
                      Which type of LSDs do E30s have? Are they clutch or viscous?
                      both

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
                        both
                        Ok 325is clutch type? I remember seeing that the ixs have viscous
                        ^M52B28^

Comment

Originally posted by I*Do*Werke View Post
                          Ok 325is clutch type? I remember seeing that the ixs have viscous
                          yep ix have viscous all others have clutch

Comment

Working...
                          X