No announcement yet.

DIY - Walbro 255 fuel pump retrofit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I pulled mine out today to put in the walbro, but i wasnt expecting to have a late model pump and bracket (87 convertible) anyways, this is where im at right now

Comment

Just for confirmation, I have been reading a lot that a 255 is too much flow for stock fpr, yada yada. Well, I had a 255 walbro for probably 3-4 months on my is no worries, then I had swapped it to my friends eta and its been on that for a few months as well. No issues at all.

Good mod, and pretty cheap.

Comment

Everyone talks about dumping the dual pump setup on early models, but is it going to be an issue to install a TRE pump instead of the external pump and keep the in-tank pump?
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Also, I am going to need to chop the metal piece that goes to the pump. My pump is too far down and actually hits the bottom of the fuel tank when i put it in.

Comment

Lots of people mention this being easy, but this is turning out to be more of a pain than dropping the m50 in my e30... First of all the fuel pump that has a return line on it requires a lot more modification to get it to work, Did all that installed it. Ran great for about 30 seconds till i put a load on it. im not sure how to explain what happened. Now the car will not even start and it looks like my return line is clogged and was leaking into my engine bay. Due to the amount of modification to the initial bracket I can no longer even put the original pump back in.

What a pain in the ass.

Comment

The original feed line i had from the pump to the metal line burst, so i had to replace it with something a little sturdier.. In the end the car runs very nicely. I get no power loss that I had with my old fuel pump not sending enough fuel. Note that this is EASIER if you dont have a return line on your bracket!!!

Comment

i fitted one of these pumps to my 318is, it runs great but the pump is actaully resting on the bottom of the tank and causing a vibration/hum noise throughout the car, its pretty annoying but if i cant fix that problem im willing to put up with it since its better then having a non running car

Comment

Quick question, is there any chance that the butt connector method could be unsafe?

Couldn't it loosen up and cause a spark. That's a big problem in a fuel tank. Any input?
                  Last edited by Cephas; 04-19-2014, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Not if you do it correctly. I ran one like that for a year or so, mostly at track with no issues, never got the least bit loose.
                    88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                    We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

My car is an early production 87 325i convertible. I am in the process of doing the single walbro upgrade but im not sure how to wire it up. My stock pump had 1 wire coming off from the plug. The ground is through the the metal piping with a metal (strap) going to the pump. How can i get 2 leads from the plug without causing a leak. Should i drill out the stock plug and epoxy a newer plug in? I just don't want to break the metal piping.
                      I need your obd1 parts! Harness intake ecu etc.

E30 Your Daily Money Pit

Comment

Here's a pic
                        Attached Files

E30 Your Daily Money Pit

Comment

another pic
                          Attached Files

E30 Your Daily Money Pit

Comment

I did this yesterday after my pump died. After I made the little foot to hold the pump in place I noticed that the pipe I bent (closed off) was a return line. Drilled a hole in the bottom and it all worked out. Only problem I had was one of the fuel senders nuts is stuck and wouldn't unscrew after putting it back in... any idea on how to break it off if I need to access the pump again?
                            sigpic

Comment

i also have a early model e30 with the duel pumps.

maybe im stupid or something but im still not getting how you guys do the single pump conversion...
                              can someone break it down for me please. my pumps are bolth dying

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
                              M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Originally posted by dougie30 View Post
                                i also have a early model e30 with the duel pumps.

maybe im stupid or something but im still not getting how you guys do the single pump conversion...
                                can someone break it down for me please. my pumps are bolth dying

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
                                Dual pump, is a low pressure lift pump, then a high pressure external pump. You can remove the external pump, and connect the hoses, then replace your internal pump with a high pressure in-tank pump.

Comment

Working...
                                X