A/C question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C question

Alright so I plan on revamping my A/C that currently doesn't blow cold and converting to R134a...I took her out of the garage today for a nice 60degree drive. When I went to take the battery tender off I noticed one of the A/C caps (fill point...I think low side) were down by the windshield reservoir and upon further inspection I noticed it was because the arm of the hood (bonnet) rubs up against it. Anyone know if this is a normal spot for it?...Is the line in the wrong position? Also is there anyway to tell from these pictures if at some point; a PO converted to R134a already
    Any help is appreciated Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3438.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	9979630 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3440.jpeg
Views:	320
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	9979629

Looks like a R134a port adaptor.
    If you unscrew that you'll see the original R12 (schrader valve) style port.
    From memory mine is in the same location.

You can gently bend the hose back a bit if need be.

Most likely the PO may have had a shop swap the ports over, change a few O rings they can easily reach and say 'it's good to go'.
    E30 320i vert
    But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

It's normal to have the port in that spot, as said, you can bend it slightly, but it's probably okay as is.

Comment

thanks for the response guys, I will see what I can do about the hose it hits the hood arm every time so something has to be out of spec

Comment

If you wanted, you could slightly bend the hood hinge too.

Comment

I have not been able to find a 134a adapter that will not interfere with the hood hinge. Instead of bending something, I just keep the adapter in the glove box and install it when I hook up gauges.
            1992 325i Cabrio
            1988 320i Touring
            2000 M5
            1977 530i
            2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
            BMWCCA
            E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
              I have not been able to find a 134a adapter that will not interfere with the hood hinge. Instead of bending something, I just keep the adapter in the glove box and install it when I hook up gauges.
              I bought this kit and it has the proper sized adapters. Santech - A/C System Retrofit Kit - 559807901. Worked just fine for me... no interfernce problems.

Comment

Working...
              X