Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speeduino Issue....

Finished my Speeduino project :

Stock ignition but using external IGN module Bosch 123 (No IGBT where i live)
    Stock Batch injection using m60 injectors.
    External Toyota MAP (No internal MAP where i live).

Many hours spent tuning to get the car running well, Smoother than stock idle, Engine revs to 6k happily.

My only problem that i cant get pops and crackles to happen, I tried many time retarding the base of my Spark table and also add fuel to base ve table with no luck i also remove silencer+muffler and running straight pipes played with trigger angle -84/50/276 not a single pop.I am frustrated.

Any help..

Make sure you have fuel on decel (no overrun fuel cut on), timing should probably be in the low teens at the bottom of the map. Near stoich or lean of stoich is best in my experience, as flame speed is relatively slow when the mix is lean.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
      Make sure you have fuel on decel (no overrun fuel cut on), timing should probably be in the low teens at the bottom of the map. Near stoich or lean of stoich is best in my experience, as flame speed is relatively slow when the mix is lean.
      It is -10 over run fuel cut off ....Nothing
      I am running on the rich side.

Comment

What's the max timing the distributor can do? Aren't they limited to a certain amount of retarded timing? I would try something in the 10s BTDC not ADC.

If still nothing try targeting 15.0:1 gasoline AFR in that area of the map. A long few WOT pulls before decel won't hurt either :)

Comment

Sounds like it's tuned perfectly to me.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

What's the max timing the distributor can do? Aren't they limited to a certain amount of retarded timing? I would try something in the 10s BTDC not ADC.

If still nothing try targeting 15.0:1 gasoline AFR in that area of the map. A long few WOT pulls before decel won't hurt either :)
            You are right, Maybe distributor limitation is the cause of this.

Please if someone succeeded to get the pops with the stock distributor please let me know i will be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              Sounds like it's tuned perfectly to me.
              Please give me your thoughts, I know i should have attached my tune file but currently i'm out of town.

Comment

Originally posted by ADEN View Post
                Please if someone succeeded to get the pops with the stock distributor please let me know i will be appreciated.
                You really don't need crazy retarded timing. I was getting pops at like 20 deg of timing BTDC on my M10. As I said, the flame speed is so slow with a leanish and low density fuel mix (high vacuum) that the combustion cycle will likely not be finished before the exhaust valve opens. Have the car tuned normally(let's say approx stoich on decel), disable any fuel cut, and put timing to flat 10 degrees where the decel cells are. I will be very surprised if you don't have any pops and bangs.

Comment

You really don't need crazy retarded timing. I was getting pops at like 20 deg of timing BTDC on my M10. As I said, the flame speed is so slow with a leanish and low density fuel mix (high vacuum) that the combustion cycle will likely not be finished before the exhaust valve opens. Have the car tuned normally(let's say approx stoich on decel), disable any fuel cut, and put timing to flat 10 degrees where the decel cells are. I will be very surprised if you don't have any pops and bangs.
                  Are you running wasted spark?

Comment

Yes. Great point. :)

Comment

Yes. Great point. :)
                      Thank you i will look for wasted spark coils with internal igniters since no IGBT source found.

Comment

Thank you i will look for wasted spark coils with internal igniters since no IGBT source found.
                        Use this one, it's from late 2000s GM cars with the 3.9L V6. Has built in ignitors so only need to feed it with +12v, ground, and your three logic level spark outputs!
                        Here on Amazon:

Or just grab one for Autozone, 2008 Monte Carlo is an example that should get you to it. Use plug wires from the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Austrianvespaguy View Post

Use this one, it's from late 2000s GM cars with the 3.9L V6. Has built in ignitors so only need to feed it with +12v, ground, and your three logic level spark outputs!
                          Here on Amazon:

Or just grab one for Autozone, 2008 Monte Carlo is an example that should get you to it. Use plug wires from the same.
                          Thanks alot man that's a good option.

Comment

Thanks alot man that's a good option.
                            I run it, you can even (barely) see it the bottom LH corner of my avatar pick, and it works wonderfully! Even measured the spark energy at work on the scope and it makes a solid ~125mJ when fully saturated at 6ms dwell. Don't dwell it quite that much though to keep it cooler; I'd suggest 4.0-5.0ms as the sweet spot. Less than 3.5ms and energy starts to drop below 50mJ though, so keep it above that.

Comment

Originally posted by Austrianvespaguy View Post

I run it, you can even (barely) see it the bottom LH corner of my avatar pick, and it works wonderfully! Even measured the spark energy at work on the scope and it makes a solid ~125mJ when fully saturated at 6ms dwell. Don't dwell it quite that much though to keep it cooler; I'd suggest 4.0-5.0ms as the sweet spot. Less than 3.5ms and energy starts to drop below 50mJ though, so keep it above that.

Comment

Working...
                              X