Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble with new Megasquirt (fuel or wideband most likely problem child)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble with new Megasquirt (fuel or wideband most likely problem child)

Hey guys,

Been working on getting Grandpa (my bronzeit 88is) up and running with the new RHD ITB and Megasquirt setup. Will be awesome once its done and its been way too long being out of service (been over a year)!! Funny how a simple front end refresh turns into a (well might as well change out the oil pan gasket which then turns into, lets put on some ITB's and Alpina headers and make some more noise and a little more power.

Flashforward to last week....

Well, I got whodwho out of retirement to help get this last part finished up and we are struggling a bit at this moment. I have the ITB's all syncronized and larger 19lb injectors flow matched from SSSQUID installed on the fuel rail. Wideband O2 sensor is downrange from the header collection (custom fabb'd by the Muffler Man in Placentia, amazing work btw), GM IAT inside plenum, and variable TPS installed on ITB assembly. Besides those nothing else in the car has changed (besides MS ECU obviosly).

I had initially had one of the evap system harness connections connected to the TPS, which after some trouble we figured out was the problem since we were getting 12 volt signal to the tps. That fried the TPS unfortunately. And the ECU…We swapped out with another TPS and Keith replaced some transistors and got us back up and well, working kinda. We can get the car to start up and run, albeit not perfect m20 smoothness. Wideband shows normal range when cold, but once is warmed up it steadily climbs from 14 and quickly leans out past the gauge max after 10 seconds or so. If we shut the car down and let it sit for a few and restart, it will do the same, but never stays in proper range. We try adding fuel to enrichen the mix, to the point where the car would stall, but never would come back down on the controller, always showed lean. Seems like no matter what we did, full rich, full lean, perfect stoich (momentarily), and it would still run rough. Brought over another MS setup and tried running that one and still the same issue, so we are pretty sure it is not the ECU at this point (but still a possibility obviously).

To do list today was not touched but here was the game plan.

1) Pull flow matched 19lb injectors and prime fuel pump and visualize for leaky injectors

2) Replace with stock injectors

3) Place pressure gauge on rail and observe pressure at idle and throttle

4) Replace wideband controller

5) Replace wideband o2 sensor

Besides these ideas, what else should we be considering at this point?

Thanks all for reading and any guidance given.

Cheers,
    G

sigpic
    Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Instagram @squatchboxxcoolers

Figured should add a pic for reference
    sigpic
    Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Comment

Have you updated the required fuel to suit your injectors?

Remmer that a rich misfire can show up as lean. As the air isnt burnt so the wideband will report lean.

Comment

Forget about the O2, Is the car running,idling and free revving smoothly?

Comment

I would suspect the wideband sensor or controller (or both, if it's junk like Innovate). Checking fuel pressure is a good idea as well.

Run a data log and post it here. Posting the MSQ is always helpful, too.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Yeah, we changed required fuel to suit the 19lbr's. We were guessing that the rich condition was actually showing up as lean as well.

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            Have you updated the required fuel to suit your injectors?

Remmer that a rich misfire can show up as lean. As the air isnt burnt so the wideband will report lean.
            sigpic
            Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Comment

It doesn't do anything very well, but it does run and idle, rev it up and it mostly wants to die or it hiccups a bit and then gets some motivation to throttle up a bit but definitely can't hit the higher rev's without dying.

Originally posted by ADEN View Post
              Forget about the O2, Is the car running,idling and free revving smoothly?
              sigpic
              Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Comment

We did remove the O2 sensor as an input from tuner studio and it still didn't run well. Have the AEM wideband that was brand new... wondering if when we backfed the 12 volts from the wrong harness connector (I thought was the TPS connection but was actually emissions one) and it fried the TPS it also fried the wideband. Won't be back home to try it till Thursday so we'll see the. Will get a log to post up then as well.

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                I would suspect the wideband sensor or controller (or both, if it's junk like Innovate). Checking fuel pressure is a good idea as well.

Run a data log and post it here. Posting the MSQ is always helpful, too.
                sigpic
                Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Comment

If you have a MAP sensor then it's probably shot anything in the 5V circuit might be damaged.

Comment

Best thing you can do to get some real answers rather than more guesses is to take a datalog while it's running rough and upload/post it here, along with a copy of your current .msq tune to check out. Then we'll have some true data to base further recommendations on.

Comment

Running alpha-N, so just IAT & variable TPS. Will get a datalog posted up later this week. Thx for help guys!

Originally posted by ADEN View Post
                      If you have a MAP sensor then it's probably shot anything in the 5V circuit might be damaged.
                      sigpic
                      Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Comment

Here is last 2 logs from warmish startup. Clink Google Drive link below. Fuel pressure is 38ish at prime, 40-42 psi when running and add some throttle. One thing I noticed was that the TPS gauge on Tuner Studio bounces around when car is turned to on but not running. Goes from -1.0% to 4% before I turn the car over. As you will see AFR goes from 13-14 ish and bounces up and then down and then car dies. Will be swapping out O2 sensor next and then run car and log and upload here

Originally posted by Austrianvespaguy View Post
                        Best thing you can do to get some real answers rather than more guesses is to take a datalog while it's running rough and upload/post it here, along with a copy of your current .msq tune to check out. Then we'll have some true data to base further recommendations on.
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/18a1dXy5BbpnzbyBXBEwUC-ICmquSt_rW/view?usp=sharing

sigpic
                        Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Comment

Current Msq car is running. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n53...ew?usp=sharing
                          sigpic
                          Rediculously Cool!

www.squatchboxx.com

Comment

Hey all, here is a bit of recap and observations of my involvement

Just in case someone is reading this when installing ITBs it was the IAC and the TPS connections that were switched, the IAC reaches the TPS way in the back much better unfortunately 8^(

He was originally running a M50 TPS without switching pin 1&2 but would surprisingly calibrate with a decent 0-100 sweep. I don't remember it calibrating that well when I was originally running a M50 TPS without the pins switched. After finding the switched up connections I fixed the idle control circuits and gave him a used TPS and an adapter I had on it now and calibrates about the same but a bit smoother signal.

The first major issue I was seeing was false accel enrichment at idle with no TPS change, I increased the TPS lag and leaned out the accel settings as it would spike from ~5-6ms to 16-18+ with no throttle change and would die out. Leaning out the accel made that a bit less issue but aggravated the tip in as it was a bit too lean on the fuel mapping in the lower load r3v range.

Seeing the O2 going to the extreme lean and smelling rich we figured it was excessively rich and leaned it out until it stalled and then gauge never registered again until a restart.

A quick test to rule out that it was still not controller related after the short we tried my old MS3 prototype that I was running on and changed the req fuel and getting similar results

I ran his ECU in my car and would run ok with a similar stumble which turned out to be lean cells in the r3v range and roughly richened those up to test it on his car. I didn't have the false accel enrichment with and without the TPS adapter and verified that it had the pins switched correctly on the adapter.

I gave him my O2 sensor and controller, the controller was the same but the sensor unfortunately has a different connecter.

He swapped out the injectors back to the stock ones so we have similar test beds and we are back to his ECU on his car and did some tune by ear/nose and have it running and r3vving better but far from tuned. With the accel leaned out and the fuel map richened up we aren't getting the big enrichment spikes but are seeing the TPS signal changing by 1-5% not like noise or in a steady fluctuation but in jumps up and down and is screwing with getting the tune dialed in any further. We noticed that pushing on the throttle linkage it would idle down and TPS would obviously change and about the same as we were seeing the fluctuation.

He got his laptop all connected and software installed and took a couple log sessions so I still need to get the logs from him and give them a look over

So he is getting a new TPS sensor, O2 sensor and looking into the linkage issue and we will give it another go, I want to hear this rip! 8^)
                            My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                            4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Ok, here's my first observations/suggestions. I think you ARE indeed going lean. AFR starts creeping up just as soon as afterstart enrichment goes away, and your VE is in the low 30s, which I certainly don't consider 'high' for an M20:
                              Next, DISABLE closed-loop idle and EGO feedback. At least for now/while tuning, you want as few variables as possible to simplify things first. Add the fancy features back in for FINE tuning once you get this close on open-loop.
                              Thirdly, you can't *really* run pure Alpha-N with an idle valve. As the idle valve moves, engine load changes, but since the ECU doesn't 'see' the TPS load change, it keeps fuel the same. You can see this as the abrupt drop in AFR right when you idle valve closes down some, while PW stays constant @ 4.4ms. You can sorta fudge around this by carefully compensating warmup enrichment against your idle valve position, but the 'right' way to do it is to change from Alpha-N to ITB mode.
                              ITB mode uses a 'blend' of TPS and MAP signals for load, but it involves a bit of work to set up the ITB Load Settings curves and redoing your VE table accordingly. Will give you the best result in the end though, so I'd recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                              X