No announcement yet.

N/A Megasquirt Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone makes a plug and play MS for the M50NV (and others). Not too sure who. Anybody know?
    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by weaksauce View Post
      looks like the v2 daughter board is what i need.

so I'm at $315 for the ms and daughter board.
      then i need a wideband and some dyno time. right?
      the basics are:
      MSnS
      trigger wheel + sensor
      ignition system
      harness
      IAT/CLT
      wideband
      megastim

edit: yeah, external coil packs are usually wasted spark, but it depends.

FYI, EDIS can't do spark cut, which is one of the reasons I'm trying to decide whether I run EDIS 4 or COP just because I want that anti-lag and 2 step functionality...
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
        the basics are:
        MSnS
        trigger wheel + sensor
        ignition system
        harness
        IAT/CLT
        wideband
        megastim

edit: yeah, external coil packs are usually wasted spark, but it depends.

FYI, EDIS can't do spark cut, which is one of the reasons I'm trying to decide whether I run EDIS 4 or COP just because I want that anti-lag and 2 step functionality...
        again, in english please? EDIS? can't delay timing for an alternate table?

Comment

Subscribing. I want to do MS on my M88 swap.

Comment

why would you use EDIS these days.. with a 60-2 crank wheel and built in coil ingitors there's just no need.

did M88s use 55pin motronic setups? If I were any of you guys I'd seriously be looking at the DIYpnp from www.diyautotune.com.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

btw, I think I'm going to use the cheap GM coil packs for V6 motors, the "two tower" style ones. They're DIRT cheap and work great for wasted spark and they have well documented specs for megasquirt. I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to get crank position information - I have an eta which doesn't have the 60-2 trigger wheel. I can buy the trigger wheel which will bolt on and the sensor, use a board to translate my current reference sensor & TDC sensor to generate the input megasquirt wants, or use another solution. Etas are a PITA to get working without a prior 327i build! I will be swapping the 885 on to the car, but I'm planning to keep my existing harness because I won't be using the 173 DME.
              1997 540i/6 - stock
              1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
              1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

I would just change to the 325i harness, sensors, crank wheel, etc. and use a DIYpnp. simple and robust. the eta harness isn't going to be that useful with the 35 pin connector.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  I would just change to the 325i harness, sensors, crank wheel, etc. and use a DIYpnp. simple and robust. the eta harness isn't going to be that useful with the 35 pin connector.
                  what is this DIYPNP you speak of?
                  link?
                  also, whyt wouldn't he just swap out to a M20B25 crank pulley and use that for crank reference?

Comment

again, in english please? EDIS? can't delay timing for an alternate table?
                    EDIS is ford's coil pack spark system. if it doesn't have input it does a limp mode of 10 BTDC, aka no full spark cut if you want it. so no anti-lag or well controlled 2 step
                    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

what is this DIYPNP you speak of?
                      link?
                      also, whyt wouldn't he just swap out to a M20B25 crank pulley and use that for crank reference?
                      UPDATE: The DIYPNP product line has reached the END OF LIFE.  This page and ALL SUPPORT DOCUMENTATION will remain for archive purposes. Build Your Own EMS From the MegaSquirt Plug-N-Play Engine Management System Kit — The Do It Yourself Plug-N-Play MegaSquirt EMS you build from a simple kit. The DIYPNP is a kit based  feature packed…

he could but it still needs wires, and you still need things like a real TPS, a coolant sensor, IAT, etc. etc. It's just easier with the later harness. also etas fire all 6 injectors at once, B25s alternate in banks of 3 which isn't fantastic but it's certainly an improvement. Along with all the other improvements starting with an eta harness would be a waste of time.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

sorry for all the questions, but i have more.

How reliable are these setups? I can solder just fine and reading a schematic and wiring isn't a challenge either. My only concern is that i spend the money to build this and then it is a nightmare to keep running.

Also if i have a few spare 55 pin DME's whay couldn't i just use that for a "direct plug in" setup? is that possible?

Comment

yes but you'll have to figure out what pins should go where between MS and Motronic, and of course build it, and add modifications, etc. etc. There's a few writeups on your own PnP setup. I've created a chart that shows how I built mine:

otherwise they're pretty reliable - it's been about 3 years with mine. Hell, maybe even more reliable, since when something goes wrong, you plug in a laptop, see exactly what's happening and fix it.. with the stock computer you're shooting in the dark most of the time, or relying on the somewhat useless check codes.

of course this is assuming you don't fuck something up to begin with (wiring, soldering, etc).. which is why I like telling people about the DIYpnp option. So many people get screwed up on the hardware side that they never get their car running well enough (or at all) to take advantage of the power and options before them..
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I was thinking about it, but I see that costing a lot more than either modifying the eta harness or building a new custom harness and I think it will still take a lot of effort on my part. At that point, I'd need a donor DME, a donor 325i harness, and the PNP board. I might as well go custom... I think it will still be easiest to use a stock 325i trigger wheel & sensor though.

I can and probably will. It's just a matter of what costs the least/is easiest to implement. A board does exist that takes input from the eta sensors and converts it into a format compatible with megasquirt, so it is possible to use the stock sensors.

he could but it still needs wires, and you still need things like a real TPS, a coolant sensor, IAT, etc. etc. It's just easier with the later harness. also etas fire all 6 injectors at once, B25s alternate in banks of 3 which isn't fantastic but it's certainly an improvement. Along with all the other improvements starting with an eta harness would be a waste of time.
                            what kind of improvement is there to having the injectors fire as two separate banks instead of a single bank (what I was planning on)? I thought the only real improvement was idle quality? I read that even a single bank batch fire system doesn't really hurt power?

And yes, I know I need all those sensors. I'm really considering a custom harness using the diyauto harness... then the labels would be printed on the wires.
                            1997 540i/6 - stock
                            1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                            1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

Did M88s use 55pin motronic setups? If I were any of you guys I'd seriously be looking at the DIYpnp from www.diyautotune.com.
                              Whats wrong with EDIS? I thought that was the hot setup if you're doing wasted spark? No?

M88 uses the 35 pin motronic, same as eta. I've heard of people using an M20 harness with it when they go standalone, so PnP may still be a viable option... Need more specific information sources...

Comment

it's pointless. you can do wasted spark without it, all you need are a couple $5 coil drivers (Bosch BIP373s) and somewhere to mount them.

it was the "hot" setup like 5 years ago, before MS really had developed built in spark control. think V2.2 boards, which were only meant to control fuel. Now you can buy a DIYpnp with everything built in.

you could also use an M30 harness, the M20 harness will fit but it's tight. M30s used the exact same 55 pin 1.3 ecus.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X