No announcement yet.

My Megasquirt 3 M50 setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good note about the peak torque area. I haven't thought of that. If I can remember correctly, I have timing set to about 6 degrees at 95 kpa.

I am at 11:1 CR, BKR7E plugs, 94 octane, and this morning it was about 4 degrees (39F) and misty out and it would still knock if I got into it. What's going to happen in the summer?

I am running dual intake cams on the non-vanos engine. Maybe I could "fake" more aggressive cams by timing them to have a little more overlap.

I bought the LC1 used and the po cut the computer cable so I don't think I can use logworks. The sensor was new and calibrated when installed. I could push the AFR down to 10:1 and see what happens.
    1988 325 auto-x car
    1989 325ix winter car
    1991 525i summer car

Comment

yeah it just doesn't sound like it should ping under those conditions. maybe the actual CR is even higher than you calculated?
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I did a compression test and it was 206+/- 4 psi across the board when warm.
        1988 325 auto-x car
        1989 325ix winter car
        1991 525i summer car

Comment

Maybe I am hearing wrong. I am going to check that the timing is stable up to 5k with a timing light tonight.
          1988 325 auto-x car
          1989 325ix winter car
          1991 525i summer car

Comment

That's high.

Your combustion chamber design may encourage knock. (IE the timing may not be the culprit) More fuel...

Comment

Matt - when I was poking around trying to get my IAC working, I noticed I have a 3.0 bar FPR instead of a 3.5 bar. I was thinking I might just replace it with your adjustable one. Do you know of a fuel pressure gauge that works well to complete the upgrade?
              1988 325 auto-x car
              1989 325ix winter car
              1991 525i summer car

Comment

Frankly, I wouldn't do that in a million years.

You have a megasquirt to control your fueling, you don't need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to complicate things also. Swap that to a 3.5bar and tune with the computer.

Comment

agreed, I have one but I only use it for the gauge, it's set to stock pressure.

still waiting for that timing map :)
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks for the honesty - I will buy something from you eventually, you can't stop me :)

I posted my msq file here:

1988 325 auto-x car
                    1989 325ix winter car
                    1991 525i summer car

Comment

yeah, you definitely shouldn't be pinging with that little advance.

Just curious, if you're not boosted why do you have a 400kpa load axis?

how about colder plugs? are you using stock plugs? try one or two heat ranges colder?
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

400kpa was the stock axis and I didn't feel like adding a bunch of numbers - at least until I got a feel for how it wants to run.

I am running BKR7E plugs which is one stage colder than stock. I think I will try and push fuel load up to 10.5:1 AFR in the 4 to 5k rpm range and see if that helps. Winter is here now and I won't be able to really push it for fear of wrapping myself around a tree so more WOT tuning might wait until spring :(
                        1988 325 auto-x car
                        1989 325ix winter car
                        1991 525i summer car

Comment

I have been tuning with the VE Analyze Live feature and I am getting VE's in the 110 range where I am talking about also which seems excessive as well doesn't it?
                          1988 325 auto-x car
                          1989 325ix winter car
                          1991 525i summer car

Comment

no

the VE #s don't neccesarily reflect true VE. You have to get your injector opening time perfect (most people don't even know what or how to tune that) and your req_fuel would have to be 100% accurate too.

as long as you aren't maxing out the VE table (MS1/2 was 255, I don't know what MS3 is - 511?), you're fine.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I know there are other transient effects going on there. With full sequential setup, I can tune opening time but honestly I don't know how to do that properly and it was my understanding that it would only really change idle conditions only.
                              1988 325 auto-x car
                              1989 325ix winter car
                              1991 525i summer car

Comment

it affects the entire VE table and acceleration enrichment, but the effect is multiplied at low loads/RPM where the base PW is low.

basically you need either the specifications from the manufacturer or a scope to find the opening time at the base voltage (13.2v in MS3). It's not something you can really tune by hand.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X