Ideal Megasquirt Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideal Megasquirt Setup

What would be the ideal megasquirt system to run with an 89 325i with an s52 swap and a garret gt35 or gt40 turbo setup?

Im leaning towards a Megasquirt-II with a V3 board with 34lb or 39lb injectors.

If your running a setup you really like, let me know what it is. Any suggestions would be awesome. THanks
    1989 E30 Zinnoberrot Vert 325i OBD1 S52 turbo;IP

MS2 is almost a downgrade from the stock computer - batch fire, although you can do COP, and it's much easier to tune and it can do other stuff the stock computer can't (boost control, launch control, etc).

I think for the price difference MS3 is the way to go. $365 for the V3.0 kit, add $90 for the MS3x sequential board and you've got a pretty complete system for not that much money.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

1. Unless you or your tuner have tuned a VANOS motor before, don't waste your time and money on MS. Spend the cash and get a tried and true tune from someone like TRM. Drive-ability will be much better across the board, and will allow you to take advantage of VANOS.

2. That injector size will be too small for a gt35r or gt40.

Do some research on bimmerforums' Forced Induction section, there's all you need to know there. ;)

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
      Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

MS3 can easily control VANOS.. but whatever.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I just got my 11:1 2.9L M50 running on MS3 with MS3X and couldn't be happier. It is fully sequential COP plus MS has a bunch of features you would have trouble with on a stock ecu - I plan on adding launch control soon.
          1988 325 auto-x car
          1989 325ix winter car
          1991 525i summer car

Comment

Don't bother with anything less than the latest and greatest megasquirt.

Or get a proper tune from us. :)

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              MS3 can easily control VANOS.. but whatever.
              Never said it couldn't, but very few tuners are able to tune the VANOS motor as smoothly as the stock ecu allows. Things get even worse under boost.

Originally posted by matt View Post
              Don't bother with anything less than the latest and greatest megasquirt.

Or get a proper tune from us. :)
              This.

After driving multiple turbo cars, I've never seen such smooth drive-ability as those tuned by TRM.
              Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

dude, single vanos motors are ON-OFF-ON, based on RPM/Load. it's not rocket science.

boost has nothing to do with it. You basically want to set the cam timing for the highest torque at that load site. at lower loads you might compromise to make it a bit smoother.

and i've seen plenty of stock ECU motors with huge torque dips at the vanos switchover point. So just because it's a stock tuned ECU doesn't mean it's smooth. Whoever is tuning it still has to know what they are doing. the hardware is irrelevant.

infinitely variable double vanos is a little more difficult, but certainly not impossible. and that's not what we are talking about, anyway.
                Last edited by nando; 11-16-2010, 01:56 PM.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by e30polak View Post
                  1. Unless you or your tuner have tuned a VANOS motor before, don't waste your time and money on MS. Spend the cash and get a tried and true tune from someone like TRM. Drive-ability will be much better across the board, and will allow you to take advantage of VANOS.

2. That injector size will be too small for a gt35r or gt40.

Do some research on bimmerforums' Forced Induction section, there's all you need to know there. ;)

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...play.php?f=150

You gotta be able to start somewhere. Thats the whole point of restoring a car in my opinion. I would rather learn how to do it rather than letting someone else do it.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=181166

MS2 is almost a downgrade from the stock computer - batch fire, although you can do COP, and it's much easier to tune and it can do other stuff the stock computer can't (boost control, launch control, etc).

I think for the price difference MS3 is the way to go. $365 for the V3.0 kit, add $90 for the MS3x sequential board and you've got a pretty complete system for not that much money.

I like this. Not that much money and seems like an awesome setup.I'll look into that combo more. THanks. What size injectors are you using?

Comment

Im selling my megasquirt and pnp adapter board...

You should buy it ;)

Comment

I am using 24lb injectors with a 3.0 bar FPR. I am also running an Innovate LC-1 and to get AFR's in the 12.5 range at 6k rpm, I am seeing about 80% duty cycle and an outside temperature near freezing.

I tried to build it on a budget. I am using dual intake cams, ebay headers with dual 2" exhaust, m20 single mass flywheel. I am hoping to be around 210 hp at the wheels.
                        1988 325 auto-x car
                        1989 325ix winter car
                        1991 525i summer car

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftE30 View Post
                          I like this. Not that much money and seems like an awesome setup.I'll look into that combo more. THanks. What size injectors are you using?
                          I'm using 42#, but it doesn't really matter that much with standalone. Although you don't want to go too big because idle pulsewidths will be too small and it will be harder to tune at low loads, 24# are probably plenty. 42# have been fine for my engine though, I got them because they were basically brand new and a friend gave me a good deal.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

nando, what is your engine configuration?
                            1988 325 auto-x car
                            1989 325ix winter car
                            1991 525i summer car

Comment

M20B28

the injectors are probably about double what I "need". Max duty cycle is somewhere around 40-45%. But having large injectors means I can more easily control the PW at high loads, so it's a bit of a trade off.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X