MSD coil???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSD coil???

I was wondering if anyone was using a MSD Blaster 2 ignition coil? If so was it a plug and run set up or do you have to use anything special? I don't have any other mods on the ignition system.Just looking for a stronger spark.

waste of money
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

would you suggest something else?

Comment

yeah, spending money elsewhere. you are going to gain nothing by messing with the ignition system. stock is fine - even turbo guys have made over 400whp on all stock ignition.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Alright.

Comment

I have one, its plug and play and its only like $38 so if your coil dies its works as a good replacement.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Has anyones stock coil ever died? I think they are indestructible lol
              sigpic
              mods: just meat and potatoes under the hood and wheaties on fire out back ;)

Comment

I had one as well when my coil crapped out. Worked perfect. Although, mine was given to me. I remember them being pretty expensive at the time.(10 years ago) I wouldn't go and get one for performance reasons. I wouldn't think any e30 would benefit from what the MSD coil was designed for. Yes, it's more spark, but I see it as putting 345's on a stock e30 for 'better traction'

But it looks bad ass. lol
                ------------------------------------------------------
                1982 528e - Sold
                1987 325e - Totalled
                1990 325is - Sold
                1997 540i6 - Sold
                1991 325ic - Sold
                2013 335i - Sold
                2005 X5 - Daily
                1991 318is - *work in progress*

Comment

It wont give you "more spark" if everything else is stock.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I used one worked fine and was cheap
                    Originally posted by blunttech
                    r3v does not fuck around. First you get banned, then they shoot you

Comment

Never had a stock coil go bad but I picked up a Blaster 2 for like $30 for the turbo car anyway since I was chasing a misfire and wanted to freshen up the ignition system. Blaster 2 is oil cooled, stronger spark voltage than stock and new vs 20+ year old coil but not plug and play. It uses a different coil wire connector than stock. I had to convert my Magnecor coil wire connector. TCD sells aftermarket wires with and without the special coil wire for this coil. Previously, my car used to misfire pretty badly, now it's solid. Hard to say if the coil made the difference but I'm sure it helped. That and running a smaller plug gap.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Working...
                      X