No announcement yet.

Anybody running megasquirt N/A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol yeah, I regret not going for a PnP MS for the money. But! The WAR chip does help the car run better, and I haven't tuned it yet.
    ///Z

1988 BMW 325 Super Eta - Elsa

"i"CONVERSIONWARchip&3.0MAF3.73LSDBBSRSsSMILIES"is"SPOILER+LIPHOUNDSTOOTHSHORTSHIFTERPLASTICBUMPERCONVERSIONEtc.

Sell Me Your SCHWARZ FENDERS!

Originally posted by chadthestampede
    ^ Nothing you post makes any sense.

Comment

i planned on running MS when i do my 2.7i conversion in the next month or so. Anyone running MS with e85?

Comment

just hooked up my WhodWho-built MS PnP last week... have yet to tune it though. started up and drives right out of the box as advertised... I'll get a good tune next week then comes boost after deployment.. ;-)

Comment

I ran MS2e for about a year before installing the turbo. Even took it to a few track days. I actually got a fair amount more midrange and even picked up about 1 mpg running megasquirt. I'm of the opinion that if you are going forced induction but want to learn how to tune, you should do all the engine management stuff first and learn how to tune it on an essentially stock motor so you know what you're doing when the error tolerance goes down. Also, the less variables you change at one time, the easier it is to tune. If all you change is the EMS, you know exactly what the car should feel like with a good tune.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

I ran my M20B27 NA for a while on megasquirt. It ran better than the chipped(?) motronic.
            1997 540i/6 - stock
            1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
            1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

I'm interested in doing this. I have a MS sitting at home and I plan to boost my sedan. Has anyone had to switch over using GM sensors?
              1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
              2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
              2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

"GM" sensors is a misnomer. you can use any sensor you wish to - in the earlier days, GM sensors were most common, because they were cheap, effective, and their transfer constants were known. Also, MS1 didn't allow custom sensor curves - it was all hard coded as GM IAT and CLT sensors.

These days you can go to the drop down for coolant sensor calibration, choose BMW E30, and be done with it. Many people still use GM IAT sensors (because they're built into the AFM on E30s), but you could still use whatever IAT you wanted if you know the transfer curve for it, including the one from the E30's AFM.

TPS can also be whatever you want. E36 are commonly used. you can also use the stock switch, with appropriate hardware mods. there's an inexpensive Nissan TPS you can get from a 2002/megasquirt website. or whatever you have laying around and can make fit. it doesn't matter.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I think what's cool about Megasquirt is that it works well on my car, but I could take the box and run a 3 cylinder Fiat, or a Subaru, or a 12 cylinder Jaguar.

Comment

Yeah, use the BMW coolant temp sensor, GM IAT, and I used a GM TPS but it's not necessary. My M50 is using the BMW TPS and will probably be using the BMW IAT too.
                    1997 540i/6 - stock
                    1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                    1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

I used BMW everything except for IAT and MAP with no issues.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        "GM" sensors is a misnomer. you can use any sensor you wish to - in the earlier days, GM sensors were most common, because they were cheap, effective, and their transfer constants were known. Also, MS1 didn't allow custom sensor curves - it was all hard coded as GM IAT and CLT sensors.

These days you can go to the drop down for coolant sensor calibration, choose BMW E30, and be done with it. Many people still use GM IAT sensors (because they're built into the AFM on E30s), but you could still use whatever IAT you wanted if you know the transfer curve for it, including the one from the E30's AFM.

TPS can also be whatever you want. E36 are commonly used. you can also use the stock switch, with appropriate hardware mods. there's an inexpensive Nissan TPS you can get from a 2002/megasquirt website. or whatever you have laying around and can make fit. it doesn't matter.
                        Awesome. Thanks for the input, I almost backed out before realizing that you could do such a thing.
                        1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                        2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                        2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Working...
                        X