No announcement yet.

Dyno graph, stock m20, discuss. Brody!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

155whp on custom TRM tune. My ignition system (coil/plug wires(original parts)) have since started to fail so I doubt I'm still seeing that number. No dyno graph sorry.
    Past: 1987 325iS, Bilsteins - HR Sports

Present: 1999 M3, Koni Yellows - HR Sports - GC Camber Plates - UUC Swaybars - UUC SSK - AFE Intake - Stromung Catback

2009 Mazdaspeed3, Short Ram Intake - Turbo Inlet Pipe - 2nd cat Delete - Catback - Fuel Pump Internals - Cobb Accessport - Stratified E30 tune - 294/342 - SPC Camber Arms - CPE Rear Motor Mount

Comment

more timing!

7speedshop.com

Comment

I can't see any reason to go back to stock manifolds.

all that for 7whp was pretty sad, though. :(
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          I can't see any reason to go back to stock manifolds.

I was aiming for 150-155 but what the heck.. The car feels so good that even chirps 3rd with the 225-45s, never in her life before.. It feels very smooth. Brody contacted me and told me to check if my tps is working properly on wot.. Ill do that, try to fix the headers leak and go to another dyno. The one we went to had problems that night such as it was operating on a small generator because they had problems with electricity.. That might explain maybe.. At first it wasnt reading the torque... The rpms neither. So maybe indeed there was an erratic lecture i dont know..

One of the best threads you will ever read
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=221813

Nice trailer of my e30
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTjtG...e_gdata_player

If i sold you something please leave feedback here
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=217142

Comment

I just noticed the speeds are different on the two pulls, looks like the first one is third gear and the second was in fourth?

7 whp is like a 5% gain, really not bad for $400.
            --Will

Comment

As stated, I asked him to check his TPS. Basically 14:1 the whole way suggests WOT is not activating. 135 is on the low side of what we have ever seen, but you can't really compare cars on different dynos, right?

TPS is almost ALWAYS a problem, a TPS that clicks doesn't mean its working for WOT. The last three e30s that came in this month all had TPS problems. We had a stroker Cabrio come in for a MAF and tune, TPS no worky. Came back with a new TPS and made 217 WHP and 236 WTQ.

Also, if you were running our 14# tune with 17's you naturally should have been a little bit richer. The fact that you were in the 14's before and after tuning suggests you are not going into open loop WOT.

Comment

Originally posted by valleymotorwerks View Post
                Our bone stock Spece30 motors are putting out 165hp, just saying
                Originally posted by valleymotorwerks View Post
                No cats - balanced, blueprinted and hand assembled. We build the most powerful SpecE30 engines in the business. We average between 160 to 165hp. The differences lie in the supporting accesories, coil, plug wires, fuel pump, AFM etc.

To clear things up they are .5mm overbore so not so stock, but SpecE30 legal
                Far from stock. Over-bored, balanced, blueprinted, shaved block/head and hours of checking ECU's etc is far from a 100+k mile 20-ish year old motor with unknown abuse/history.

Most of my local friends make 130-150whp on high mileage motors.

Originally posted by brody View Post
                As stated, I asked him to check his TPS. Basically 14:1 the whole way suggests WOT is not activating. 135 is on the low side of what we have ever seen, but you can't really compare cars on different dynos, right?

TPS is almost ALWAYS a problem, a TPS that clicks doesn't mean its working for WOT. The last three e30s that came in this month all had TPS problems. We had a stroker Cabrio come in for a MAF and tune, TPS no worky. Came back with a new TPS and made 217 WHP and 236 WTQ.

Also, if you were running our 14# tune with 17's you naturally should have been a little bit richer. The fact that you were in the 14's before and after tuning suggests you are not going into open loop WOT.

Or you could move your WOT map values into the highest part of the part-throttle maps as a temporary fix, but you are absolutely correct. When we are reading the EEPROM live, we can see what the TPS is doing and if it's working. Very quick way to tell is hook your ECU to a laptop. I'd say 80-90% of the TPS switches are bad and the customers have no idea because they did the click test.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                  Or you could move your WOT map values into the highest part of the part-throttle maps as a temporary fix, but you are absolutely correct. When we are reading the EEPROM live, we can see what the TPS is doing and if it's working. Very quick way to tell is hook your ECU to a laptop. I'd say 80-90% of the TPS switches are bad and the customers have no idea because they did the click test.
                  Yup you can do that, and we did, but it still won't give the same power potential. Also, its not just as simple as the last column in P/T. It doesn't jump right over, it will take a diagonal downward slope across the map TO the last couple columns. It can definitely be tuned like that BUT most people don't want to waste time on tuning something that has a much easier fix. That's how we show the customer it is or isn't working. They always argue with us and say, "It clicks" but when we show them in WinOLS that the maps are not activating they get the hint LOL.

And yes, I am right on par with the 80 - 90% figure.

Comment

the E30 design isn't very good, it's got a seal in it but basically water/oil leak into it and probably gum up the switch inside. that and half of them are mistadjusted, or the connector under the manifold gets corroded, etc.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by brody View Post
                      Yup you can do that, and we did, but it still won't give the same power potential. Also, its not just as simple as the last column in P/T. It doesn't jump right over, it will take a diagonal downward slope across the map TO the last couple columns. It can definitely be tuned like that BUT most people don't want to waste time on tuning something that has a much easier fix. That's how we show the customer it is or isn't working. They always argue with us and say, "It clicks" but when we show them in WinOLS that the maps are not activating they get the hint LOL.

And yes, I am right on par with the 80 - 90% figure.
                      Wasn't it your kit that required the WOT switch wire to be snipped?

Yeah we don't use WinOLS for tuning for the most part, TP is quite fast and are used to it after years of GM/Honda/Nissan tuning EEPROMs. Add a custom definition and off you go. Let the others crack your code :)

BTW, sent you a PM.

the E30 design isn't very good, it's got a seal in it but basically water/oil leak into it and probably gum up the switch inside. that and half of them are mistadjusted, or the connector under the manifold gets corroded, etc.
                      The worst part is the TB really needs to be removed for adjusting. I can't tell you how many screws are stripped from the clients trying to adjust on their own. Gaskets are cheap and it's only 4 nuts to remove the thing.

It doesn't end with the e30, either. All the motors after the m50 have severe PCV issues. Why would you use tubing/plastic that's NOT oil resistant for a crankcase ventilation? BMW charges $2400 for an oil pan gasket replacement, stuff like that keeps us in business sometimes :( Rather be building turbo/suspension kits and tuning cars lol
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Every time I see people throwing away money N/A I think the same.

OHHH!

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                          Wasn't it your kit that required the WOT switch wire to be snipped?...

...BTW, sent you a PM.
                          Yah for the turbo stuff so that the car doesn't use the fixed fuel and timing for "WOT"

No pm?

Comment

Guys the engine died on saturday, little bit of troubleshooting identifyed that there was 0 spark. I had a brand spanking new cps laying around, installed it and voila!! I hope this had something to do with the tune.. Bad cps= poor performance? I still have to troubleshoot the tps though so stay tuned..

Nice trailer of my e30

Comment

Indeed the tps isnt working on wot.. So i guess this explains the poor? Graph... I keep you posted when i fix the issues and retune

Nice trailer of my e30

Comment

Working...
                              X