No announcement yet.

CEL after chip installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same error on all my eBay chips. It's nothing to worry about. Just letting you know it isn't OEM (the checksum is an algorithmic verification of contents.)

I ended up taking out my check panel because of other bogus "problems." No lights-- no problems. (maybe don't listen to that last part)
    Last edited by squidmaster; 03-11-2013, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      a checksum error is coded into the chip, it's not going to go away.

if it runs fine I doubt there would be any real problems except for the constantly annoying CEL. it tells me either the guy who made the chip made an honest mistake and forgot to correct the checksums, or he didn't know what he was doing.
      So far I didn't notice any weird problem. And you pointed it out pretty well... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
        I had the same error on all my eBay chips. It's nothing to worry about. Just letting you know it isn't OEM +the checksum is a algorithmic verification of contents.)

I ended up taking out my check panel because of other bogus "problems." No lights-- no problems. (maybe don't listen to that last part)
        Thanks you for the enlightenment... lol

Comment

e30zone? if its the guy im thinking of then i supply blank chips to him and he does sell some decent tunes as i have given him a few tunes i came across such as one from an alpina B3 among others but i dont think hes into actually tuning the E30's, just selling chips. i started selling chips after first getting into it to tune my own E30 and i do correct the checksum on the chips i sell. also for a stock-ish M20 (ie- no aftermarket cam and no changes to compression ratio) i offer one of the best chips out there, i offered to sell him my tune with corrected checksum for him to run off copies of but he never bought it, he probably wouldnt have liked the price anyway since i know he would be selling copies of it..

in fairness to him though here in this part of the world the E30's havent got the same check light setup, ours dont flash up if the checksum isnt corrected but USA models and some others do. its only a harmless check light, pretty sure it doesnt affect operation in any way just flashes to annoy you.

Currently E30-less

- EthosMotorsports.com

Comment

Working...
          X