Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 stock coils on MS2 V3 PCB

How do?

Every link I follow asking the same question is unanswered.
    Does the MS board provide a BIP373 driver for a pair of coilpacks?
    Is it sending the current of a full spark AND a signal to fire to the coilpacks? Simply voltage?

This has me stumped. Other than that, the build is going together swimmingly.

91 318i | 87 535iS

You need six coil drivers - one for each coil pack. Run two drivers per channel for coil-on-plug wasted spark ignition.
    1997 540i/6 - stock
    1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
    1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

I suggest building an external coil module to fit all 6 drivers onto a heat sink. if you're making an adapter (a good idea to keep things easy to work on), then that's a good place to put it.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrix2k View Post
        You need six coil drivers - one for each coil pack. Run two drivers per channel for coil-on-plug wasted spark ignition.
        so it sounds like the MS board actually provides the full amount of spark, not just a signal? Or does the engine harness provide the power and the MS does, indeed send the signal?

Originally posted by nando View Post
        I suggest building an external coil module to fit all 6 drivers onto a heat sink. if you're making an adapter (a good idea to keep things easy to work on), then that's a good place to put it.
        When you say adapters, do you mean the DB37 to Motronic plug?
        If so, I definitely am - is there a particular circuit diagram that I can peek that will point me in the right direction?

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

the ETM - you'll have to figure out the cross-wiring between MS and Motronic mostly on your own.

what version of Motronic is your harness? I have a pretty decent, albeit a little old, harness adapter chart for the OBDI M50.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            the ETM - you'll have to figure out the cross-wiring between MS and Motronic mostly on your own.

what version of Motronic is your harness? I have a pretty decent, albeit a little old, harness adapter chart for the OBDI M50.
            I'm not sure what version, but it's an E36 Harness for a '92 M50NV running a 402 DME

I'm ok with wiring everything up, I just need to figure out what questions to ask at this point.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

im just waiting until you figure all this out sean haha
              sigpicFellow e30 enthusiast
              Dont waste your time hating, aint nobody got time fo dat
              1986 bronzit 325es- SOLD
              1987 delphin 325i- parts car
              1990 scwarz 325is- m50 drift slut
              CHECK OUT THE BUILD!
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229234

Comment

i just went threw this.

If your using the high current drivers, then yes, the power comes straight from the MS. If your using logic coils (like ls1-2 coils with 4 wires) then the MS just provides the signal and the coild receive a constant power and ground.

I had a very hard time finding good instructions for this. It took me 2 weeks to figure out that all i had to do was run 4 wires to my MS for logic coils. Maybe i just have a hard time understanding directions, but they all suck if you ask me lol

Comment

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
                  so it sounds like the MS board actually provides the full amount of spark, not just a signal? Or does the engine harness provide the power and the MS does, indeed send the signal?

When you say adapters, do you mean the DB37 to Motronic plug?
                  If so, I definitely am - is there a particular circuit diagram that I can peek that will point me in the right direction?
                  The high current coil drivers you are adding to the MS control the coils directly. The engine harness will provide power that is switched by the high current drivers that can be internal or external to the MS. The MS board itself does not have the capability to directly control the coils.
                  1997 540i/6 - stock
                  1985 325 - M50NV - Getrag 250 - 2.79 LSD - MS2/e -LC-1 - 750cc injectors - Blunttech Manifold - HX35 - AEM UEGO
                  1991 318i - M50NV - Getrag 240 - 4.10 open - e36 rack - Smileys - 55w 5000k HIDs

Comment

so if i understand this correctly, the six bip373's im adding to my PCB are being wired directly to the m50 coils, and the power comes from where? where am i grounding the coils?

it seems like The power comes off the ms pcb? as i understood it, power came from the harness and is grounded to the bip373's but i dont see how the circuit would work

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

also, whats the logic behind adding an external board? it looks like the megamanual shows provisions for heatsink material to be mounted to the drivers directly... is it to fit into the dme enclosure, or..?

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

There not enough room to fit six coil drivers on the front of the MS. It just makes things cleaner and keeps the design organized.
                        1997 540i/6 - stock

Comment

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy View Post
                          so if i understand this correctly, the six bip373's im adding to my PCB are being wired directly to the m50 coils, and the power comes from where? where am i grounding the coils?

it seems like The power comes off the ms pcb? as i understood it, power came from the harness and is grounded to the bip373's but i dont see how the circuit would work
                          it's ultimately ground at the negative terminal on the battery. The coil driver's switch the ground on the coils so that they go from floating at +12v to charging while the coil activated by MS. (I think this is correct, it's from memory.)
                          1997 540i/6 - stock

Comment

Working...
                          X