Clear All

Cranks, occasionally pops, but no start

Video of behavior: http://ogrestrength.com/nostart.mov

Datalogs and msqs:

1989 BMW 325i w/ M30B35 engine from 1991 535i, HX40 turbo setup
    MS2 v3.57 board
    Wasted spark with DIY autotune coils + Glen's Garage breakout board
    MS 3.0.3.r
    Tune reset to an MSQ that was known to work last year. So, my crank settings and everything should be fine.
    72lb/hr Low-Z injectors
    New starter, getting ~300rpm cranking. Pulling down to about 90kpa vacuum
    No idle control, just a cracked throttle plate (tried the gas during cranking)
    Battery trickle charged back to 12.5v+ before starting
    Car was working fine until about January, when the flywheel bolts vibrated loose. Once that was sorted, the car randomly seemed to run on 4 cylinders - it would start, but ran horribly. So, I dug into the wiring, and re-did a BUNCH of the grounds - I thought it was probably a weak spark issue. I pulled the ground wire from the GG wasted spark board by hand, so I thought that was the culprit. I screwed some other grounds up in the process, but I believe everything to be alright now.

FUEL:I can hear the fuel pump prime pulse when the key is turned. I have a gauge fore of the fuel rail and it's reading 45 psi. I'm not SURE if the injectors are firing, but the (switched ground) wiring seems OK, and I checked that I had 12v at every injector with the key in running position. Should I test the injectors somehow to make sure that they're firing? Could the Low-Z be causing issues? Do I just pull the darn fuel rail and spray fuel into a bucket?

SPARK: I pulled a wire from each coil pack to ensure I was getting switched ground, I am. I didn't have a good connection to the tower (just barely touched) so I had a weak orangy spark. I tested one coil pack with a proper spark wire and got white-blue spark. The spark plugs ran a little rich in tuning the turbo, but I'd think they should be ok enough to start the car considering until I messed with the wiring it could at least run itself on a few cylinders with a bad spark ground.

COMPRESSION: I'm pulling some vacuum during cranking (down to 90kpa) - I'm not sure how else to test this. The behavior didn't start after any hard running; the car's been sitting except for intermittent attempts to start it for more or less 5 months. Should I be seeing more vacuum?

Timing/Pickup: I'm kind of leaning this way. My tooth log shows 1-4 sync loss events in some of the cranking logs, would this be considered normal? Is this enough to prevent starting? I'm getting a decent rpm signal, it seems, but my tooth logger does show a "2nd longer tooth" that the literature I've read suggests a "compression effect" - I wasn't able to get the trigger logger to save to csv in tunerstudio, but my signal looked very much like this: http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/...60_2_crank.png
    I did redo the wires for the VR sensor pickup, could that have caused this issue?
    I feel like I'm incredibly close to having this thing running again, I just could use some help to figure out...whatever this is.

Ryan
    '89 335is +turbo

What happens if you spray some starting fluid down the intake? Sounds like its about to start but possibly not getting enough fuel/weak spark.

Id try some starting fluid, if she runs then you know where to look.
    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Sprayed starting fluid into the intake manifold via the throttle plate - no change in symptoms. This is making me lean towards timing, though I think I'll pull the easiest plug to make sure it's getting wet with fuel and all that. I'll smell down the tailpipe a little better for fuel, still not 100% convinced it's fueled, but if the starting fluid didn't help, that makes me think its not for lack of fuel. It didn't even fire/hiccup at all with the starting fluid.
      I'll post tooth logs tonight, looking at them again I think that has to be the culprit - significant noise.
      '89 335is +turbo

Comment

Tooth logs (composite and tooth, and a another log just for kicks.

Current plan:

check injector firing
        rewire VR sensor
        check grounds

My "Output stage ground" Motronic pin 24 is not hooked up, but I don't think this is the issue.
        '89 335is +turbo

Comment

my setup does this but only on hot starts. cold starts are perfectly fine. Im having to bump start when hot.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

if you are getting synch loss during cranking, most likely that is your issue.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I checked again, I really had no sync loss.

Traced everything, and I'm pretty sure it was the spark plugs - pulled them from the engine and I got no spark in the gap in the ones I pulled. Reference spark plugs I'd been using to test spark are strong, blue spark.

So, yea, switching from BPR8ES to BPR7ES. I figure I have meth/h2O injection to keep my tune plenty safe at around 20 psi, and even at those cylinder pressures, BPR7ES should be fine.
              '89 335is +turbo

Comment

Working...
              X