MSPNP2 no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSPNP2 no spark

Hey guys, I am in the process of trying to start my car for the first time on this new setup:

M20B25, turbo, stock ignition system (besides plugs), Megasquirt PNP2 with a base tune done by kamotors.

I am not getting any spark from the coil--it has power, but gets REALLY hot after cranking a few times. I bought a new coil and tried today and am getting the same result.

My ignition settings are as follows:

Spark Mode: Toothed wheel
    Ignition Input Capture: Falling edge
    Spark Output: Going High
    Number of coils: Single
    Spark A output Pin: IGN 1
    Trigger wheel arrangement: Single wheel with missing tooth
    Trigger wheel teeth: 60
    Missing teeth: 2
    Tooth #1 angle: 84.0
    Wheel speed: Crank wheel
    Using 10 degrees for my cranking advance, as well as 6.0 mS for cranking dwell

I am brand new to MS and Tunerstudio, so I would appreciate any help!

Your settings are correct if your MS2PNP is Microsquirt based. If it isn't, read this thread: https://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=418714

It sounds like you have a hardware problem. Did you buy the PNP from DIYAutoTune? Did you mess with the wiring for the coil?

One of the wires is shielded. I had the same problem with a non-functioning, heating up coil when I did my swap. I had lengthened the coil wires, and spliced the shielding into the wire itself, effectively grounding the 12v wire. Once I fixed the splice, it fired right up.

After you get it up and running, you'll want to use a timing light to verify the tooth #1 angle.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Yes, Microsquirt based. Still set at falling edge. I checked my coil + and - wires and they seem to be okay! One thing I just noticed though--I just checked the voltage coming into the coil and I have 11 volts, while the battery is sitting around 12.2. That seems like cause for concern.

Comment

I would be looking for a hardware issue in the PNP or a wiring/ground issue on your engine harness.

RISING EDGE

Comment

So I started probing around with a multimeter and found a few things at the c101. With the key out of the ignition, I am showing the following concerning voltages:
          Pin 11: 4.3v (service reset)
          Pin 14: 2.8v (VSS from cluster)
          Pin 20: .16v (ABS power)

Looks like I'm pulling out the wiring diagrams :/

Comment

Just plugged the stock DME back into the car. Cranked it, had spark... Looks like a hardware issue within the MS.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
              It sounds like you have a hardware problem.
              I would be looking for a hardware issue in the PNP

RISING EDGE

Comment

Haha yes! Thank you for your troubleshooting expertise! So what do I do? Change the spark transistor? Send the MS out to whodwho?

Comment

I'd send it back to whomever you bought it from to be repaired or replaced. It can be tested properly with a stim, instead of just arbitrarily replacing parts.

RISING EDGE

Comment

I'd send it back to whomever you bought it from to be repaired or replaced. It can be tested properly with a stim, instead of just arbitrarily replacing parts.
                    I appreciate your hand holding through this process! :D I sent it back for testing. I will update when I get some results!

Comment

Keep us posted. I bet it fires right up when you get it back.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Ignition driver failure in the MS. I should have it back from repair soon! I NEED TO DRIVE THIS THING.

Comment

Aaaaaaaand I got it back from repair. Still no spark. Plugged the stock DME back in, got spark. Ready to push this thing into the river. What could be causing this?? The guy said he tested it before sending it out and it worked fine.

Comment

It's possible something is bad in your hardware/wiring, and it's burning up the ignition drivers.

RISING EDGE

Comment

I bought an MsPNP2 from diyautotune and my car fired right up...

Next problem!

I'm confused about my trigger wheel. After some research i have found that there are a couple of wheels that fit the M20: one with a missing tooth #1 angle at 84* and one at 324*. I have been having issues with my car having a terrible misfire at low/medium rpm. I tried to verify my base timing with tooth #1 angle at 84* and it looks like I am WAY off. I noticed that my trigger wheel has its missing teeth at what looks like 355* or something stupid. They are literally JUST before the TDC mark on the wheel. What is going on here?

Comment

Working...
                              X