Exhaust for S38

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust for S38

I am making an exhaust for my S38 powered E30. It will be complete custom from the S38 headers back. I need to order some stainless materials and wanted to get some advice.

The 2 header pipes are approx 1 7/8" think each at the joints. I would much prefer to do a single pipe of say 3" back but do you think I will regret it. Would a dual 2" be much advantage?

Any advice on recommended sizes appreciated as well as muffler ideas.
    www.eurowinnipeg.com
    www.E30S38.com
    E30 Mtec2-S38 | V10 TDI treg | E34 M5 | E39 M5 | Corrado turbo VR6

why would you regret single 3"?

I wouldn't do anything smaller, personally. dual 2" is just going to weigh and cost more. get a merge collector for the headers to single pipe, high flow metal core cat, and a couple mufflers of your choice.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I just assumed you get better results with dual pipes as that was BMWs original design. I am by no means an exhaust expert. Think 3" will be sufficient?
      www.eurowinnipeg.com
      www.E30S38.com
      E30 Mtec2-S38 | V10 TDI treg | E34 M5 | E39 M5 | Corrado turbo VR6

Comment

dual pipes is mostly a looks/ground clearance thing, but GC isn't a big issue with 3". The old M3 DTM cars used like 4-4.5" exhausts.. lol

yes, 3" is definitely enough :D
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The DTM cars also ovalized the tubing right under the subframe. :razz:

However, you won't have a problem with ground clearance, a 3.0" exhaust, and a reasonably low ride height.

Originally posted by whysimon
          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
          X