Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone running magnaflow 14815 on their car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmwm3n528 View Post
    Nah, I need to.

Mine is like so...
    -Y-pipe from where OE catalytic converter was
    -2.5" single from there on
    -Catco catalytic converter
    -22" Magnaflow resonator
    -Magnaflow 14815 muffler w/ Tips

I've got a sound clip, but it seems it's just large enough to where it's too large to upload on most hosting websites.

...I'm sure it's not the most beneficial design, at this point I was just looking for some more sound, replacing the old OE mid section and all the while, improving the looks.

Eventually, I'll sink the dough on a good aftermarket bolt on.
    How big, I can host it. I can even get you a login so you can upload it, rather than have to e-mail it to me.

How does it sound? I was thinking of doing this for my setup. Since I have custom shorty headers, I'd have an exhaust shop custom make a flange to fit on to my headers, and go down to where the cat is now. From there I would have them put in a y-adapter and go 2.5" back to either a Catco Cat or a Magnaflow Cat (not sure what yet) then continue back to a 14815 Magnaflow. Pretty much all in 2.5" tubing. From the headers, I'd have them do like dual 1.5" (or whatever the stock diameter is) then squeeze that down into a single 2.5".

Does the Cat do a good job keeping away all the raspyness? Your's is very similar to what I was thinking. Where's your O2 sensor at? Just at the Y-pipe (that's where I was thinking for mine) Here's the Catco cat I was thinking of gettin: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8072385295 Is that the kind you have?

I just want to make sure doing this setup will keep a nice growl. I really don't want any rasp, I want it to be loud, but bearable on the highway. And, i don't want a ton of rasp, I want people to know it's a six :D
    Last edited by Sean; 10-12-2006, 07:35 PM.
    - Sean Hayes

Comment

my undercar shots

ansa catback

natures cut out :)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
        How big, I can host it. I can even get you a login so you can upload it, rather than have to e-mail it to me.

How does it sound? I was thinking of doing this for my setup. Since I have custom shorty headers, I'd have an exhaust shop custom make a flange to fit on to my headers, and go down to where the cat is now. From there I would have them put in a y-adapter and go 2.5" back to either a Catco Cat or a Magnaflow Cat (not sure what yet) then continue back to a 14815 Magnaflow. Pretty much all in 2.5" tubing. From the headers, I'd have them do like dual 1.5" (or whatever the stock diameter is) then squeeze that down into a single 2.5".

Does the Cat do a good job keeping away all the raspyness? Your's is very similar to what I was thinking. Where's your O2 sensor at? Just at the Y-pipe (that's where I was thinking for mine) Here's the Catco cat I was thinking of gettin: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8072385295 Is that the kind you have?

I just want to make sure doing this setup will keep a nice growl. I really don't want any rasp, I want it to be loud, but bearable on the highway. And, i don't want a ton of rasp, I want people to know it's a six :D
        Yeah, hook me up with a login.

As far as sound goes, I'm pretty pleased with it...I know a couple members can vouch for it. It's not quiet, but it's not ridiculous. As far as raspiness goes, don't have any of that...if you're referring to the noise that E46 M3 make AWOT.

Just make sure whoever does the work is a good welder, because an exhaust leak can cause some sound to escape. With the addition of the resonator, it's got a very muscular tone, with the 272 it's got a muscle car like tone to it at idle. Has a nice wail AWOT, also.

BTW, the placement of the o2 sensor was not altered on mine...and, Yes, that's the same Catalytic converter as mine.
        Trevor Ely
        '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
        '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

Nah, I need to.

Mine is like so...
          -Y-pipe from where OE catalytic converter was
          -2.5" single from there on
          -Catco catalytic converter
          -22" Magnaflow resonator
          -Magnaflow 14815 muffler w/ Tips

I've got a sound clip, but it seems it's just large enough to where it's too large to upload on most hosting websites.

...I'm sure it's not the most beneficial design, at this point I was just looking for some more sound, replacing the old OE mid section and all the while, improving the looks.

Eventually, I'll sink the dough on a good aftermarket bolt on.

where did you get the -22" Magnaflow resonator

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Resonator's make it louder, correct?

If I understand correctly, glasspacks muffle the noise and the resonators make it louder? So, do you think it's the resonator that makes it sound nice and growly?

PM your way on the login in a bit
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

Another general question:

Is it worth having an x-pipe before a y-pipe? If I'm going to be taking my exhaust down to a single 2.5" pipe from the dual 1.75" piping, then it would eliminate the need for the x-pipe? The purpose of the xpipe is to equalize the pulses from the exhaust - but if the exhaust is all going into one pipe, it'll happen there anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong?
              - Sean Hayes

Comment

The Resonator i allways thought help silinced it. but yet gave it a better tone. Is it worth having an x-pipe before a y-pipe? nah. your right im pretty sure it equals the pulses.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Here's a post Matt made some time ago:

He mentioned he had straight pipes into a Magnaflow. It was too loud. He put glasspacks, where a cat would go, and it sounded tons better. I think that was on his NA too, since he had to run NA before putting the turbo on.

I think I might ask him about it. I would love to not even run a cat, but I'm good either way. :)
                  - Sean Hayes

Comment

id run cats. its not like its kills the hp. maybe 5 hp at the most out of an slightly modded m20. that is if you get a nice high flow cat.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

The resonator changes the sound more or less, toned it down a little. Gave it a deeper tone.

The catalytic converter did definitely help tone it down a little also...Initially, I bought that cat and gutted it, with not so great effects...ended up being really tinny sounding, so I bought another and left the material inside.

moatilliatta, Magnaflow's part# for the Resonator is 10436...I got all the Magnaflow pieces from www.justmagnaflow.com
                      Trevor Ely

Comment

The resonator changes the sound more or less, toned it down a little. Gave it a deeper tone.

The catalytic converter did definitely help tone it down a little also...Initially, I bought that cat and gutted it, with not so great effects...ended up being really tinny sounding, so I bought another and left the material inside.

moatilliatta, Magnaflow's part# for the Resonator is 10436...I got all the Magnaflow pieces from www.justmagnaflow.com
                        My exhaust may end up almost identical to yours. Since I was going to do 2.5" tubing from my downpipes and back, it'll be very similar. Only difference will be that I'm going to have custom downpipes made.

So, the way yours is now, with the 14815, 22" Resonator and Catco cat, it's loud, but not unbearable - such as highway driving? I was thinking of doing the Catco with the 14815 - but that'll probably be too loud, huh? Most likely similar to yours without a cat.

Let me know when you get that FTP login workin ;)

Does the longer the resonator mean the more drastic the sound change? Longer resonator = quieter?
                        Last edited by Sean; 10-14-2006, 03:14 PM.
                        - Sean Hayes

Comment

My exhaust may end up almost identical to yours. Since I was going to do 2.5" tubing from my downpipes and back, it'll be very similar. Only difference will be that I'm going to have custom downpipes made.

So, the way yours is now, with the 14815, 22" Resonator and Catco cat, it's loud, but not unbearable - such as highway driving? I was thinking of doing the Catco with the 14815 - but that'll probably be too loud, huh? Most likely similar to yours without a cat.

Let me know when you get that FTP login workin ;)

Does the longer the resonator mean the more drastic the sound change? Longer resonator = quieter?
                          Yeah, I think that's right about longer=quieter.

Still working on the FTP thing, going to use another computer.
                          Trevor Ely

Comment

you guys got some clips?

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Sure do.

Got his exhaust clips/videos uploaded and all nicely put together.

Download the sound of his nice magnaflow setup here: http://other.electrontek.com/r3vhost...TrevorsCar.wmv
                              - Sean Hayes

Comment

Sure do.

Got his exhaust clips/videos uploaded and all nicely put together.

Download the sound of his nice magnaflow setup here: http://other.electrontek.com/r3vhost...TrevorsCar.wmv
                                Much better.
                                Trevor Ely

Comment

Working...
                                X