Is a flex pipe really required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a flex pipe really required?

Will work on my exhaust this winter since it is leaking very bad. The flex pipe is one of the guilty. The exhaust is a shitty 3'' for on a S50. Will clean and fix this mess.

Is the flex pipe really required or I can just remove it and put a straight section?
    E30 now S52
    2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
    325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

do you have solid engine mounts? Flex pipe is usually there to compensate for engine movement and not to rip the exhaust of the hangers.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

no... S50 on e28 mounts...

Also, if no flex pipe, can the induced load damage the manifold studs?
      Last edited by MatRacer; 01-15-2015, 10:38 AM.
      E30 now S52
      2008 Suburban LTZ (Family and TT hauler)
      325xiT (Sold)

sigpic

Comment

i havent had a flex mount since 2006/7 no issues on a custom stainless system. the engine/exhaust/gearbox are solid mounted together, the engine and gearbox are isolated with stock mounts and the muffler / exhaust is hung on the stock rubber mounts so everything is isolated and there is no mixing and matching of connections (solid mounts) and soft connections (rubber)
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

When I bought my car with the stock exhaust it just had a slip over pipe where the flex used to be and it was clamped on for a little bit of movement, I welded it solid and ive broke the flange right after the stock manifold twice now. Going to use flex next time, also on stock mounts
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Working...
          X